Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Holford
Follower
Follower

Brand new Arlo Pro 2 & base-station cannot connect to / discover HomeKit, out of the box.

I've been through phone-support twice since receiving my Arlo Pro 2 cameras on Thursday night, but am hoping I can expedite the solution as I'm now waiting for a Tier 2 support person to call me back as none were available tonight...

How the issue manifests:

After setting-up both Arlo Pro 2 cameras & Hub (VMB4500r2) via the Arlo app on my iPhone, I went to setup the HomeKit integration via the Hub's settings. However, I perpetually see the 'Discovering your device. Please wait.' screen instead.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• Reboot Arlo Hub (via app & power-cycle)
  • Reboot Arlo Pro 2 cameras (via app & power-cycle)
  • Reboot home WiFi (via management app & power-cycle)
  • Soft-reset iPhone
  • Uninstall & re-install Arlo app
  • Use second iOS device (iPad Pro)
  • Restart Apple HomeKit Home Hubs (Apple TV, iPad Pro, and HomePod)
  • Confirm all Apple hardware is up-to-date with software
  • Confirm all Arlo hardware is up-to-date with software & firmware
  • Confirm all devices are on same WiFi network
  • Confirm all existing (25+) HomeKit devices are connected & responding
  • Place cameras, Hub, and iPhone within inches of each other
  • Leave iPhone on above 'Discovering your device...' screen for 30-45 minutes

Arlo support experience:

I've been on two different phone calls with Arlo support, which (to be honest) has not been fantastic. I've spent about 90mins on the phone on two different days, and spent about 50-60mins of that on hold. I've repeated all the steps numerous times, and the very first email follow-up I've received just tells me to follow the KB article on how to set-up HomeKit... 

I'm now waiting for a Tier 2 support engineer to call me back 'within a few days' as none were apparently available tonight.

I've done plenty of my own research both here, as well as on the /r/arlo subreddit, and it does appear this is a known issue with a number of Arlo Pro 2 kits, wherein the Hub needs a new Apple HomeKit Certificate issued remotely, with many saying they can have this resolved once this is confirmed within 20mins.

I'm hoping that someone (perhaps the fabled JamesC of this support forum) can help me in resolving this...

Many thanks for any help you wonderful people can give!

405 REPLIES 405
Jp4512
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks JamesC. I have now gotten my Arlo Pro reconnected to my HomeKit and everything is working great.

Thanks
b2kx
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James,

Please can you reset my token, same problem as everyone else.
BLTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James,

Having the same issue. Please send me a token reset request as well.
rgallardo54
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also suffering from this problem and spent an hour chatting with support trying to get someone to perform this troubleshooting step as well. Is there some sort of internal documentation that shows employees how to do this? I bought this camera for the HomeKit compatibility so having it not work is kind of a let down.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BLTN, rgallardo54

I've sent a token reset request to your base station that should resolve the issue. Please reboot your base station (remove and reapply power) allow the base station to come back online and try setting up HomeKit again using these instructions: How do I connect my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

JamesC

Ltuned
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still suffering from this problem and spent over 3 hours chatting with support. After a few days a tech name Fitz sent me an email asking my contact info so he/she contact me and I replied the request 3 times but still no contact whatsoever!! Is there some sort of internal documentation that shows employees how to do this? Seems like Arlo team just left me hanging in the air now?! Is there a higher tier tech that I can reach to? What's the point of contacting the Arlo Support Team when they won't even help???

KravE
Star
Star
Hey JanesC,
Could I get that token as well? Thanks in advance. HomeKit quit about 2 weeks ago on me.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KravE,

I've sent a token reset request to your base station that should resolve the issue. Please reboot your base station (remove and reapply power) allow the base station to come back online and try setting up HomeKit again using these instructions: How do I connect my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

JamesC

panman91
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Please can you reset my token, same problem as everyone else.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

panman91,

JamesC

panman91
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you James, it worked!

BLTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks JamesC! It worked!
Ltuned
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't believe Arlo support just ignored me like this!!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ltuned,

I've requested an update on your open support ticket. An agent should be reaching out to you with an update soon.

JamesC

Coronadelmar75
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with HomeKit setup.  Once I try to initiate the setup I get stuck in discovering your device please wait mode forever.   Can you please reset me the same way you did the others?  Thanks in advance.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Coronadelmar75,

JamesC

Tdhmd
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same problem as everyone else. Support didn’t give me much of an option other than sending my base station in. They never offered what you have sent out to others on this thread. Is there anyway I could have a token sent as well?
Thjuul
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I’m not sure how this token works, bit I’m having the same problem with connecting.  Could you help me out?

Thanks.

Thomas

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tdhmd, Thjuul

JamesC

Thjuul
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Thank you for your fast reply. I have reconnected my cables and switch - and restarted the base station. Still no luck. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Thomas

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thjuul,

Try again now. If your system was not connected when you made this request earlier, it would not have been able to receive the token reset request.

JamesC

helloimerwin
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

Can I get a token reset?

Thjuul
Aspirant
Aspirant

It worked like a charme!

Thank you for a great service!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

helloimerwin,

JamesC

Ltuned
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC,

Can I get another token reset sent to my base? I will give it another try since no updates on my case whatsoever.