Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

kimskev
Follower
Follower

I would expect this from other companies but from netgear????  Think it's time to get my money back!!!

OK so we finally get Arlo which we were excited about.  We have 3 people in our house and well this system should be able to be armed and disarmed when anyone of us comes and goes.......or so you'd think.

NoHelp, SayWhat?

Set up IFTTT:

IF first family member arrives HOME then disarm arlo (Using life360 and arlo)

IF last family member leaves HOME then arm arlo (using life 360 and arlo)

3 IPhones set up with life 360 which have been working for the last 2 years 

Member #1 comes home alone - Arlo disarms

Member # 3 comes home alone - Arlo disarms

Member #2 come home alone (the member that set everything up) and we have motion alerts going off left and right.

Yes, I set up everything the way it should have been set.

Search for Support number.... can't be found but find "Live Chat"

First support person is of no help and disconnected

Second support person gives me phone number and advises me to set up Geofencing and walks me through steps.  Tells me THIS WILL WORK!

Call Support (Speak to someone in the Philippines ....... WHAT?? No USA Support????) And after being on hold get disconnected

Member #1 comes home alone - Member #3 gets 14 motion alerts even though the app says that member #1 is "IN THE ZONE" which means the system should have disarmed.  Nope, Not my Arlo!

Look online for the Support chat and it's nowhere to be found but today, the phone number is there (crazy)

Call Support again.... yes, another person in the Philippines (nothing against Philippines but why no USA support???)  This person knows nothing about how to fix this and suggests that I (member #3) remove myself from the system all together (Take my name, number, everything off the website, take the app off my phone) and this should help...... Ummm..... WHAT????

So I have to completely remove myself from everything just so I won’t get any alerts on my phone? Instead of someone coming up with a way to arm and disarm this system when different members of the family come and go???  Nope, not working for me!!!!!  Support person asks me if I mind being put on a 5-7 minute hold?  Um.... again... WHAT????  No. Im not going to wait 5-7 minutes.  

Yes, Support person puts me on hold anyway and there I sit for about 15-20 minutes listening to some horrible music when CLICK....... Disconnected!

Can you even imagine how happy I was at that moment????  Yea, not very happy.

So here I sit, with all three members in the house and my phone flashing on and off.Smiley Mad

GEOFENCING AT HOME IS NOW HOME MODE

GEOFENCING AT HOMOE IS NOW AWAY MODE

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

MOTION DETECTED IN LIVING ROOM

MOTION DETECTED IN BASEMENT

GEOFENCING AT HOME IS NOW HOME MODE

GEOFENCING AT HOMOE IS NOW AWAY MODE

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

320 REPLIES 320
Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
I know that on the Google Play Store the last update only mentioned bug fixes for random log out. It wasn't specific about time frames. And there was no mention of geofencing. I figure if they ever get it right that will be a headlining update intro.
johnbois
Aspirant
Aspirant

Posted this on an alternate thread, but thought i would share here.

As of yesterday geofencing started to work with no changes or modifications.  Both iPhone 6s using latest version of iOS are showing the correct location status changing status when both phones have left the area.  Noticed there was an Arlo app available this morning v2.4.8 but fix apprears to be working regardless of new app version installed. 

My two cents... on the phone name.  I've got underscores in both phone names and has been like that since i've brought my arlo's online.  I wouldn't worry about changing the phone names.

ilioni
Star
Star

The geofencing started working on the IOS app (around yesterday). When we enter the security perimeter, push notification is received that "we have entered the Home Geofencing Zone" and the geofencing mode is updated correctly so far yesterday evening and this morning. 

However, geofencing is still not working properly with the Andriod (Samsung) device yet. It doesn't update the status and it kept on showing status as unavailable. Tried to toggle (disable and reenable) the location on the samsung and made sure that Arlo is excluded from power save and made sure that Arlo is running at the background. Nothing seem to work.  

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have received no update on Android however removing an iOS device made my geofencing work one time today but that may have just been a stroke of luck.
TrailMtnBiker
Guide
Guide
Well, v2.4.8 seems to have fixed my current geofencing issues. I’ll add the 3rd iPhone tomorrow and see how it does with that.
Ray650
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. It's been working pretty well after the latest update 2.4.8. I'm only using one device to locate though.
Tonstar1
Luminary
Luminary
Use ifttt download set it up works better than arlo geo
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Do you have a link to that App?  Did not know there is a different app that also works with Arlo hardware.  

Tonstar1
Luminary
Luminary
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Crap the Area Arm and Disarm only works with IOS and not Android.  😞  

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
IFTTT location does not work with Android.
Yank555-lu
Star
Star

@Snn5wrote:
IFTTT location does not work with Android.

Works for me, installed it last night, it properly activated Arlo as it should (Android) when I left home today.

Will see how it behaves when I get back home, but this might be the only reliable workaround for as long as Arlo doesn't get their geofencing done properly, sad to need that as a viable option for a failing feature.

And sessions timeouts are irrelevant here as ifttt logs on to Arlo web on its own to switch the state.

JP.

Yank555-lu
Star
Star

Just got back home, ifttt just did what it should 😉

I can live with that for now.

JP.

Jefffromtexas
Apprentice
Apprentice
ITTT doesn't work for me either-Android.
Jefffromtexas
Apprentice
Apprentice
IFTTT doesn't work for me either-Android.
Yank555-lu
Star
Star

@Jefffromtexaswrote:
IFTTT doesn't work for me either-Android.

Are location services enabled ? Did you give IFTTT location pernissions ?

I can't see why it would work on my end and not on others... screenshot shows IFTTT doing its job today.

JP.

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
It should be noted that while IFTTT does not work on my Android 4 geofencing and location it does work if I say the magic Google words and then tell it to do so. However geofencing itself still does not work as it should through the App instead of a third party app and I do have an iPhone also on the same system. and that iPhone still does not work either.
RickKern
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo Q, not a Q Plus but the regular Q does not show up in the dropdown menu for this reply. I have an iPhone 7. My geofencing does not work. The camera is arbitrarily armed when I'm home and disarmed when I'm away. I have disabled the phone in my Arlo app geofencing menu, saved, reactivated and saved again. No improvement. I only have the one device that I need the app to recognize. Using a schedule is not a good option for me as my schedule changes week to week. I would at least like to know which radius size is considered optimal although I've tried all three with no improvment. The community entries I've read seem to indicate that this feature is just not implemented well by Arlo. Please let me know if there's anything else I can try and if there are fixes in the works. Regards.

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have 1 Android and 1 iPhone. When both leave zone it arms now. When 1 gets home it stays armed. Constant notifications until it's disarmed. Then have to change to geofencing again.
scottb08
Star
Star

On my Galaxy S7 it works fairly well as long as I've freshly opened the app. The app seems to forget what its supposed to be doing but seems functional even though its not. I have to kill it and reopen it and geofencing works.

Sblair588
Guide
Guide
After the new IOS Arlo app, geofencing now seems to be working correctly again.
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Hope they get out the fix for Android soon.  

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
My iPhone user cannot recall if their app was updated. But if it was recently after the Android app then it stands to reason that anyone on a system using both Android and iPhone was experiencing issues due to the iPhone. For example now geofencing works when we both leave the Zone however I cannot confirm that it disarms when one or both of us are back in The Home Zone. It would be beneficial if it armed when both of us left The Home Zone and it disarmed when one of us returned to The Home Zone. Otherwise the one of us that is not at home getd constant notifications until we turn it off. And if you turn it off then you have to go back and toggle geofencing again.
Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
It seems to be working today on my Android. This is why I believe it is either location settings within the app or its server-side. Earlier my Arlo app crashed even though it was not open which leads me to believe that somehow it was running in the background even though it never asked for permission to do so and my settings screens do not indicate that it is running in the background.
Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
What we need is an actual representative from Arlo to explain what the issue is and let us know if they have actually made an improvement or if it is just coincidence. All of this guessing needs to cease. We need an official stance from the company.