Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing. not working

kimskev
Follower
Follower

I would expect this from other companies but from netgear????  Think it's time to get my money back!!!

OK so we finally get Arlo which we were excited about.  We have 3 people in our house and well this system should be able to be armed and disarmed when anyone of us comes and goes.......or so you'd think.

NoHelp, SayWhat?

Set up IFTTT:

IF first family member arrives HOME then disarm arlo (Using life360 and arlo)

IF last family member leaves HOME then arm arlo (using life 360 and arlo)

3 IPhones set up with life 360 which have been working for the last 2 years 

Member #1 comes home alone - Arlo disarms

Member # 3 comes home alone - Arlo disarms

Member #2 come home alone (the member that set everything up) and we have motion alerts going off left and right.

Yes, I set up everything the way it should have been set.

Search for Support number.... can't be found but find "Live Chat"

First support person is of no help and disconnected

Second support person gives me phone number and advises me to set up Geofencing and walks me through steps.  Tells me THIS WILL WORK!

Call Support (Speak to someone in the Philippines ....... WHAT?? No USA Support????) And after being on hold get disconnected

Member #1 comes home alone - Member #3 gets 14 motion alerts even though the app says that member #1 is "IN THE ZONE" which means the system should have disarmed.  Nope, Not my Arlo!

Look online for the Support chat and it's nowhere to be found but today, the phone number is there (crazy)

Call Support again.... yes, another person in the Philippines (nothing against Philippines but why no USA support???)  This person knows nothing about how to fix this and suggests that I (member #3) remove myself from the system all together (Take my name, number, everything off the website, take the app off my phone) and this should help...... Ummm..... WHAT????

So I have to completely remove myself from everything just so I won’t get any alerts on my phone? Instead of someone coming up with a way to arm and disarm this system when different members of the family come and go???  Nope, not working for me!!!!!  Support person asks me if I mind being put on a 5-7 minute hold?  Um.... again... WHAT????  No. Im not going to wait 5-7 minutes.  

Yes, Support person puts me on hold anyway and there I sit for about 15-20 minutes listening to some horrible music when CLICK....... Disconnected!

Can you even imagine how happy I was at that moment????  Yea, not very happy.

So here I sit, with all three members in the house and my phone flashing on and off.Smiley Mad

GEOFENCING AT HOME IS NOW HOME MODE

GEOFENCING AT HOMOE IS NOW AWAY MODE

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

MOTION DETECTED IN LIVING ROOM

MOTION DETECTED IN BASEMENT

GEOFENCING AT HOME IS NOW HOME MODE

GEOFENCING AT HOMOE IS NOW AWAY MODE

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

320 REPLIES 320
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

USA591,

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

brookeb12,

Unavailable means the device cannot be located. This can result from GPS location being disabled, or the app is not logged in/running.

Does your device have any settings enabled that close open apps after they are idle for a period of time?

JamesC

zoubzoubie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue except that it's JUST ME, and even though I am home, I get the geofencing home, away, home, motion detected and 30 to 80 email notifications despite notification setting being TURNED OFF!!!!  It records us at home while geofencing home disarmed should have it disarmed.  AND sends me notifications (sometimes 10 in like 5 minutes) stating motion detected.  uh yeah, I'm home.... SOOOOOO frustrating, AND I've had the same run around from custo,er service that calls at odd hours in the night from the Philipines.  WTF???  I paid over $500.00 to have a product not function??  Not ok. 😞 😞  😞

brookeb12
Tutor
Tutor

Not sure if this applies to you, Zoubzoubie, but I've figured out that it hates my android. I changed my wife's Iphone to the primary on the account, and she added me to the cameras. It worked for about a day, and then went out again. It recognizes when she is at home, but not when I am. As a result, we turn off the system 99% of the time, totally wasting the very expensive system we paid for. Sounds like we have similar issues. Are you by chance an android user? 

brookeb12
Tutor
Tutor

No. I've disabled any such things and researched endlessly to make sure it's all set up right. 

cr8v_nrg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I thought it was just me but after reading through this thread and other threads in the forum, it appears that geofencing is unstable at best, and non-functional at worst. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a fix? I am trying to get a single iPhone working with geofencing and it never shows as being "in zone". 

When I view the settings for Enabled Devices, my iPhone 6 registers briefly as "In Zone" then switches to "Unavailable".

My Geofencing settings are:
Radius: Large [I see an active dot that shows me as being in zone]
Address: [my address]
Camera Location: Home
Enabled Devices: iPhone 6 [checked]
Away Mode: Armed
Home Mode: Disarmed
Push Notifications: iPhone 6 [checked]

reefboy1980
Initiate
Initiate
So it seems these no fix for geofencing on multiple devices? If there is I’ve failed to read it.
Same as others, my geofencing works perfectly but my wife’s doesn’t. I’ve set it all up correctly but for whatever reason it doesn’t seem to work however I have just added 2 arlo q’s And these work perfectly with the geofencing.
When will this be fixed as like many I’m loosing patience on a product I really like
scottb08
Star
Star

Geofencing on the Samsung S7 is a joke. I'm constantly having to disable Arlo, reenable geofencing and reboot the cameras and base to get it to know that I am home or away. I have set the radius to large and my phone is the only one controlling Arlo.

I actually stopped using my Nest camera for other security issues and bought the Arlo with high hopes. If you look around you will see tons of other posts about this issue. This issue is over a year old and it seems that Netgear does not care about fixing it.

model: SM-G935V

Android Version 70

kernal: 3.18.31

Jalapenopower
Initiate
Initiate
My Geofencing option is no longer appearing on my Android, but does appear on my iPhone.
It seems like the Geofencing deleted or removed itself on my Android on it's own. I've updated the Arlo app to the latest version, but it still doesn't show up.
How do I get the Geofencing option back on my Android?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted in other threads here, reinstalling the app fixes this.

bigp0408
Aspirant
Aspirant

is not working on my iphone 7

joefan
Guide
Guide

I fixed my geofence problem by changing the name of my iphone, because the name was incompatible with the Arlo App.  My iphone's name (which can be changed under "Settings, General, About") was "Joseph's iphone 6 plus."  I changed it to "Joesiphone6plus"  Basically, I made it shorter, removed the appostrophy, and removed the spaces.  Geofenceing works now.

Before, with my original name, I was unable to save the geofence settings for my phone.  When I added by wife's phone (which is just named "iphone") I could save the settings, but the app showed my phone as "unavailable."  So the geofencing was only recognizing my wife's phone.

Also, in the many times that I was trying to save the settings I saw an error that read something like: "...32 characters...no special characters..." etc.  But the error did not specify a problem with the name of my phone.  And because the error did not appear each time I tried to save the geofence settings, I thought it was a glitch and ignored it.  Once I got my wife's phone working I just kinda figured out that the error was in reference to my phone's name.  I changed the name, and it all works now.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bigp0408,

What are you experiencing that indicates an issue?

JamesC

jgoldste49
Tutor
Tutor
That makes sense. Spaces and apostrophes are special characters. I'll give this a try as soon as I can. Here's hoping!!!
kkweng
Guide
Guide

Now that sounds like a useful tip, wish support knew it.   Thanks !

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

joefan,

Thank you for that information.

For those experiencing this issue, please let us know if removing special characters resolves the issue and I will report these findings to the engineering team.

JamesC

scottb08
Star
Star

Removing the old Arlo and and reinstalling it on my Verizon Galaxy S7 seems to have done the trick. It seems a lot more stable now.

Jalapenopower
Initiate
Initiate
Now I keep getting a new notification, which only appears on my Android and not my iPhone.
I've already uninstalled the Arlo app and installed the newest version twice.
Here's the notification:
Geofencing needs an internet connection. Open the Arlo app when your connection becomes available.
GTunney
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still not working for me, device is showing but is unavailable.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GTunney,

Try disabling the device from the enabled devices list within Geofencing settings, save, and then enable the device again.

JamesC

cr8v_nrg
Aspirant
Aspirant

joefan - Thanks for the advice. I renamed my device by getting rid of the apostrophy, saved the settings, quit/restarted the app and geofencing is now working fine. I didn't have to remove blank spaces in the name, so I think that the irregular character was the culprit. 

dancohn
Tutor
Tutor

I've been having the same problem.  I've tried disabling the two devices, saving, and then re-enabling them.  It simply does not help.  I've also found that the device location is often listed as not available.

Netgear, please acknowledge that this is a real issue and put out a fix!  The feature is useless if it's unreliable.

Saluki00
Initiate
Initiate

I contacted support for the Geofencing issue (not working).  I have my wife’s phone (iPhone 7 plus), my iPhone (iPhone 6) and my iPad Pro.  Geofencing is not working with any of these devices without issues.  I created a guest account for my wife and when I use geofencing enabled devices, her devices shows up for a split second and then disappears.  I opened a case to support and they claimed this is a known challenge at that the engineers are working on this.  NETGEAR - can we get an update on when this might work flawlessly again?  It is a great feature that holds a lot of value to many consumers.  An ETA would be nice please.

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

I am having all this issue with mine and my Wife's LG V30's.  These are new phones with the app just installed.  

Also since my wife and I no longer have our S6's how do I remove them for the approved list?  I have them unchecked.  I would like them just removed.