Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing. not working

kimskev
Follower
Follower

I would expect this from other companies but from netgear????  Think it's time to get my money back!!!

OK so we finally get Arlo which we were excited about.  We have 3 people in our house and well this system should be able to be armed and disarmed when anyone of us comes and goes.......or so you'd think.

NoHelp, SayWhat?

Set up IFTTT:

IF first family member arrives HOME then disarm arlo (Using life360 and arlo)

IF last family member leaves HOME then arm arlo (using life 360 and arlo)

3 IPhones set up with life 360 which have been working for the last 2 years 

Member #1 comes home alone - Arlo disarms

Member # 3 comes home alone - Arlo disarms

Member #2 come home alone (the member that set everything up) and we have motion alerts going off left and right.

Yes, I set up everything the way it should have been set.

Search for Support number.... can't be found but find "Live Chat"

First support person is of no help and disconnected

Second support person gives me phone number and advises me to set up Geofencing and walks me through steps.  Tells me THIS WILL WORK!

Call Support (Speak to someone in the Philippines ....... WHAT?? No USA Support????) And after being on hold get disconnected

Member #1 comes home alone - Member #3 gets 14 motion alerts even though the app says that member #1 is "IN THE ZONE" which means the system should have disarmed.  Nope, Not my Arlo!

Look online for the Support chat and it's nowhere to be found but today, the phone number is there (crazy)

Call Support again.... yes, another person in the Philippines (nothing against Philippines but why no USA support???)  This person knows nothing about how to fix this and suggests that I (member #3) remove myself from the system all together (Take my name, number, everything off the website, take the app off my phone) and this should help...... Ummm..... WHAT????

So I have to completely remove myself from everything just so I won’t get any alerts on my phone? Instead of someone coming up with a way to arm and disarm this system when different members of the family come and go???  Nope, not working for me!!!!!  Support person asks me if I mind being put on a 5-7 minute hold?  Um.... again... WHAT????  No. Im not going to wait 5-7 minutes.  

Yes, Support person puts me on hold anyway and there I sit for about 15-20 minutes listening to some horrible music when CLICK....... Disconnected!

Can you even imagine how happy I was at that moment????  Yea, not very happy.

So here I sit, with all three members in the house and my phone flashing on and off.Smiley Mad

GEOFENCING AT HOME IS NOW HOME MODE

GEOFENCING AT HOMOE IS NOW AWAY MODE

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

MOTION DETECTED IN LIVING ROOM

MOTION DETECTED IN BASEMENT

GEOFENCING AT HOME IS NOW HOME MODE

GEOFENCING AT HOMOE IS NOW AWAY MODE

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

MOTION DETECTED ON PORCH

320 REPLIES 320
Yank555-lu
Star
Star

@Snn5 wrote:
I will certainly give that a try. Thank you very much. I was using the preset pre-created applet which it seem to be for iOS. So basically with this applet or tubing set I shouldn't have to change anything in the Arlo app as far as harming disarming geofencing correct?

Now to be clear this only has to do with my phone on Android and does not affect the other phone on iOS correct?

Do they still need access and do I need to Grant access to my device in Arlo or how do I set up the Arlo options for Access granted?

In fact Arlo will not require any devices to be granted anything. IFTTT (as a service) will have to be granted access to your Arlo web account, that will happen on the fly as you setup your first applet in IFTTT for Arlo, quite easy and self-explaining.

What will happen when you enter/leave the zone, is do as if you were connecting via web to your Arlo account and you would set Arlo to disarmed/armed and logout.

The Arlo app isn't even needed in this case (for the location based auto arming/disarming). The status of your Arlo system will be armed or disarmed, but never geofencing, as IFTTT takes care of your location based auto-switching.

But this will only work for one device, meaning you can't use this with more active devices as IFTTT can't handle the 'when everybody has left' or 'as soon as one of has entered' the zone case. So no matter where your other devices are, when your Android device leaves the zone, Arlo will be armed, even if there is another device left in the zone.

This is clearly a temporary workaround to cover for a (very bad) fail by Netgear to get their act together and fix their app ! But this has been working 100% for far for me, Arlo's geofencing has never ever been that reliable ! This also proves geofencing is possible and that Netgear code very poorly here !

JP.

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
Alright thanks much again. This is going to be my last attempt to get anything working with this system as far as arming and disarming automatically goes. My only other options of course are to use the on-and-off widgets or manually go into the app. You are completely correct about Arlo dropping the ball on this simple code.
g3nius
Guide
Guide

And we are back to geofencing not working as of today.  Anyone else?

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

We were never not not working.

Geofencing has been **bleep**ed for a month.

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
Unfortunately neither Arlo or ifttt works. I'll use ifttt button widgets until Arlo gets their **bleep** straight.
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Anyone have luck after the app update from over night?  I have not had a time where both my wife and I where out of the house yet to check.  

TrailMtnBiker
Guide
Guide
Mine has worked fine since the update a week, or so ago. Still working after yesterday’s update.
Ray650
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine has been working intermittently but it may be caused when I force close the app. When I open the app again, my location is refreshed and the correct mode is set.
TrailMtnBiker
Guide
Guide
Ok, I take it back: my geofencing is only working with my phone, not my wife’s. I was just starting to enjoy my Arlo again, but now......
TrailMtnBiker
Guide
Guide
Ok, I guess it just took a few days to stop working for me. Geofencing is totally worthless, again. Just what are you doing, Netgear? Please get your act together and fix it.
Busher1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Over 2 years later and geofencing still not working? Bets test should Bd wrapped up by now
Busher1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m really thinking I made a huge mistake perkiness Arlo system. They have been beta testing this for numerous years now and still cannot get Geofencing right.
Is not that hard of a situation to solve that year please get your s$&* together
Because these are set up and ran off batteries it becomes a complete mess I’m constantly trying to recharge your system
TrailMtnBiker
Guide
Guide
They do get it working once-in-awhile. Then, someone decides to change the app and breaks it again. Wish I could treat my customers that way. I’d save a lot of money. Yes, I’m through with them, too. Guess I’ll go Nest, even though I don’t want to pay for their service. If it works, though, it will be worth it.
1VFR
Guide
Guide

Is it me or is this still not working?

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not just you, geofencing still broken.

ZiggyUK
Guide
Guide

Will NG ever pay attention to this problem.  Brought a handfull of camera's but may return them all as they are pointless pieces of plastic and metal if they wont arm/disarm automatically.

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

With that last two app updates Geofencing for Android has been working great for me again.  Fingers crossed it keeps working correct.  

ZiggyUK
Guide
Guide

Mine will often ARM ok but do not disarm when I get home with my phone.

avanvliet
Guide
Guide

I've posted several times about the lack of functional geofencing, which by the way I have seen absolutely no improvement on over the past 9 months I've had Arlo, but now I've noticed that despite both phones showing up as out of zone in the geofencing settings, the mode is still set to Disarmed. When I try to change to another mode and back to geofencing, which has been somewhat of a workaround to "Trigger" geofencing (even though both of us leaving should be trigger enough), it now crashes the app, every. single. time. 

Any one else experiencing this? I'm not sure what I expected, but certainly didn't think Geofencing could get any worse...

Teesea
Guide
Guide

But this will only work for one device, meaning you can't use this with more active devices as IFTTT can't handle the 'when everybody has left' or 'as soon as one of has entered' the zone case. So no matter where your other devices are, when your Android device leaves the zone, Arlo will be armed, even if there is another device left in the zone.

But you can get IFTTT to work for multiple devices if you combine it with Life360. You create a Family Circle in Life360 containing all devices you want to manage. Then set applets up in IFTTT that are in the form "If last family member leaves Family - Home, then arm Arlo Hub1" and "If first family member arrives at Family - Home, then disarm Arlo Hub1".

This works fine for me on iOS with 2 devices in the Family Circle. The only slight issue is I would like to set the disarm mode to "Schedule" instead of "Disarmed", but Arlo does not make this mode, or any custom modes visible in IFTT.

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Just wondering has anyone tried Samsung Smartthings Clasic for running your Arlo camera?  Think I am going to give it s shot and see how their Geofencing works.