Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello,

@JamesC

Ever since I have updated my Arlo Ultra Base Station to Firmware Version 1.12.1.7_32817, and my Arlo Ultra Camera to Firmware Version 1.060.33.7_32761, it seems that Geofencing on the iPhone no longer works properly. I have even updated the iPhone App to Version 2.7.7 and still issues persist.

I have removed the second user from that I share the system with and re-added them, but the device still shows “in-zone” and never will set the system to Armed, or visa/versa when Disarmed. That users device will sometimes then show “unavailable” in the Geofencing portion of the Mode section of the Arlo App as well. Both of our iPhones are running the absolute latest software updates too. We have made no changes of our own or added any new devices, but after the latest Firmware updates from Arlo, it seems everything broke.

I have tried several fixes as listed in previous threads:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/GEOFENCING-Defect/td-p/1691242/jump-to/first-unread-message

However, nothing seems to work. I am reaching out to the community and @JamesC for help, and to see if any other users are experiencing these issues.

Please let me know as I am quite frustrated that this just happened with another broken Firmware update.

- D
191 REPLIES 191
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have been getting the same review in app! Also as of 6-12 geofencing is still not working as well as paying for Smart Notifications. Turned off all motion and I’m still getting alerts for bush movements all day when it is windy.
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice

1 star from me also.  

RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice

Frustrating isnt it? all we hear from Arlo Support is crickets...... maybe they are planning to dicontinue this product. Might as well, Geofencing still broke at my home. Phone call to ADT today... i cant keep waiting to protect my family....

@SillySam wrote:
I have been getting the same review in app! Also as of 6-12 geofencing is still not working as well as paying for Smart Notifications. Turned off all motion and I’m still getting alerts for bush movements all day when it is windy.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those still experiencing issues with Geofencing after the fixes we've released, please take a look at this article for troubleshooting steps you can take to improve performance: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working?

JamesC

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
The guide is for general use! This is an ongoing problem that has NOT been fixed.. Are you reading all complaints or partial responses?! It DID work perfectly before the last 2 or 3 updates as people have specified.. So instead of addressing the problem head on you give us a web page showing services are all functional and a guide wi h doesn’t fix anything it’s more of a bandaid to cover your own A$&@. I will not be playing your games! As a company you should be ashamed of yourself as for HomeKit you blame Apple not pushing it through. There is a big misconception of what you are SAYING and what you are NOT DOING..
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

I went through their newly posted guide and the only thing I didn't have set up according to the guide was granting my wife administrative privileges (though I'm not sure why this should even matter in terms of geofencing)

So, I toggled that on and crossed my fingers

Guess what?  Still doesn't work

RodMJ
Guide
Guide

Still the same issues here.

Today my wife and I left the house today in the car. While getting gas I checked the Arlo app to verify the status and both of us were "Out of Zone". However at the same time I was checking this status, I received a text notification that the system went to Away mode. This should have happened when we left the house.

Anyway, later came home to the system detecting our motion and the siren going as we come in the house. Same old sh*t for the last few weeks. The status showed we were both "In Zone", however the mode was still "Armed". I had to manually change the mode to Disarmed from Geofence to get the siren and motion detection to stop.

Posting a link for us to verify our settings (which I did) is BS. The system used to work now it doesn't.

VMB4000r3, 1 x H3 and 2 x H11 cameras. iPhone 6 and iPhone 5.

I am a really wondering why I am bothering to post this.

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had a great solution for Geofencing! Get homekit support out ASAP and your problems will be solved! Apparently Apple can get it right so lets let them control our cameras thru Homekit, at least we will get things fixed right away if it breaks.. 

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had a good laugh at this...

"The Arlo system will only change the active mode from Home to Away when all enabled iOS and Android devices have left the designated Device Location in Geofencing settings." what is this crap isnt anyone reading the posts and what he problem is?! This is why everyone is complaining, this is the problem..

Snufsis
Tutor
Tutor
I have two Ultra kits 500 meters from each other. One works great with Geofencing but the other always go out and in loopwise with a minute delay or so when I’m on location. The detection areas does not interfere between the base stations. I don’t have this problem with my first station, only the second.
ryde21
Star
Star

for about 4-5 consecutive days my Arlo system now has been working as it should.

I have 2 cameras with own created mode including activity zones. System running on Apple IOS with two iPhone 5S.

This means I now can report this issue and my Case #40888321 as solved.

However, the bad thing is that I never got an answer from support team on my several mails about this case where I gave detailed information about error search.

ryde21
Morten-Kroejby
Apprentice
Apprentice
Congratulations, enjoy whole it last.
Mine geofence dont work since 20. May. Piece of crap !
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice
Changing my wife’s login info to mine, only worked for 2 days. Still broke and Geofencing nit working. Im oit of town, and she is home. Shows Im in Zone and she is also. Agreed piece of crap and Arlo should be sued!
Morten-Kroejby
Apprentice
Apprentice
Very funny picture attached.
“You have entered the home geofencing zone” system with geofence (the top basestation on the picture) does not disarm.

Very nice fix netgear !
shooteverything
Guide
Guide

Geofencing still broken as of 18.6.19 

Interestingly, Arlo support via email also appears to be broken. 

Whilst communicating with Arlo support via caseupdate@arlo.com I received the "We have not received a response from you regarding the last email that I have sent on "xxxxx" We will be closing this case due to inactivity" ........  despite replying to the message via the provided link and also by direct email reply. 

At this stage I am wondering if Arlo support just have no idea how to fix geofencing and are opting to pretend they cant hear me 😕 

I would encourage everyone to get on the Arlo Smart Home facebook page and voice your concerns / dissapointment there.

https://www.facebook.com/ArloSmartHomeANZ/ 

On a personal note, asside from the product being useless, Arlo's response and handling of the issues here has been tragic at best.

Irregular updates and lack of awknowledgement, Inpersonal cut and paste responses (or none at all), vague statements that problems have been fixed for "most" users and ignoring questions that require solid answers. 

Dismal effort. 

magnushjel
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all,

I am using Arlo Pro/Pro 2 and have now successfully used an other geofencing/location service (free of charge) together with Arlo to be able to trigger arming/disarming based on when people are home or not and during night. It works great!

I installed the Life360 app (works on both android and ios) on all family members phones. I added a geolocation place (home) and the family members into a Life360 "circle".

I then created an account on ifttt.com and there I created my own 3 applets to manage Arlo armin/disarming.

1. Arm Arlo when last user leaves if time is between 7-21

2. Disarm Arlo when first user arrives if time is between 7-21

3. Arm Arlo between 21-7.

As IFTTT now allows you to have multiple triggers and to filter triggers this works great- Go to https://platform.ifttt.com/maker/get_started Click it and follow the steps. You will then be taken to IFTTT Platform! Click "New Applet" after going to the above link. To create an applet for arming when last family member leaves the house:

1. Choose "Life360" as trigger and the trigger "Last family member leaves..."

2. Then, choose "Arlo" as your action. Click "Arm"

3. Click "Add Filter" and use the filter code: 

var timeOfDay = Meta.currentUserTime.hour()

if (timeOfDay >= 7 || timeOfDay < 21 ) {

// Will Continue as Normal

} else {

// Skip setting scene

Arlo.arm.skip()

}

This is the filter I used for disarming in applet number 2.

var timeOfDay = Meta.currentUserTime.hour()

if (timeOfDay >= 7 || timeOfDay < 21 ) {

// Will Continue as Normal

} else {

// Skip setting scene

Arlo.disarm.skip()

}

Also add an applet to arm at night between 21-7. That is more easy and I believe you fix that without instructions. 🙂

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

As of 6-20 geofencing is still not working.. Im getting impatient on waiting! Im going to get a Circle2 camera and use it outside now because im sick of waiting for the crickets to fix everything at least I can use HomeKit and geofencing works as well.

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

@magnushjel  That is great you got it to work but who wants to go through all of that?! You are saying to Arlo, "oh well I found another way for it to work". But hey good for you Smiley Frustrated

RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agreed. This products Geofencing worked, Arlo needs to step up and fix!

Take this to Twitter and get their attention that way!
pinkmuffin420
Tutor
Tutor
So geofencing was working but something happened today stopped. Geofencing in the app stops running and so never changes it's status from home or away.
murphyr
Tutor
Tutor

@pinkmuffin420 wrote:
So geofencing was working but something happened today stopped. Geofencing in the app stops running and so never changes it's status from home or away.

Yes, same for me.  Geofencing issues were resolved for me until something changed overnight (I'm in Australia).  I have my cameras on a schedule to be armed throughout the night and then to disarm at 7am if someone is home.  They didn't switch over to disarmed at 7am nor did they when I left the house at 7.30am.  I had to manually set them to disarm mode, and then back to Geofencing and then finally Geofencing kicked in.  What's changed, Arlo?

Sparky7
Guide
Guide
Same issues here even with one phone on the system geofencing doesn't work unless I toggle it on and off every time someone leaves or gets home
Boulermaker
Aspirant
Aspirant
New Arlo user. Geo fencing worked fine when I got it but it was only me. After testing for a few days I added my wife. It is now broken.

Reading the replies here, I added IFTTT location to Arlo recipe, everything is working great.

I too wish Arlo would figure this out vs having to use another service.
Shindaria
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing has not worked properly for a month now. Have to manually arm and disarm system, which is a problem between two devices and renders this entire $900+ system useless, since the ONLY reason we went with Arlo is BECAUSE of Geofencing!!! Please fix! 

Household has 4 devices contected to the system, 2 in Geofencing mode, one running iOS, 1 running Android.

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, if one looks at this thread one will notice we are talking to ourselves! The Arlo community is great but the Netgear Team sucks (with this particular problem).. Im going on almost 2 months with this problem it would be great if someone from Netgear could give us some sort of acknowledgment to the problem and that they are working on fixing it…I have 2 users myself and my wife (she got mad and took the app off her phone).. So now I have to manually disable when she is home and Im not...