Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting up cameras when wireless router SIDD is hidden

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
SB97
Follower
Follower

Hi,

Where I am looking to setup these cameras the wifi-router (which is a dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz unit) is setup to hide both it's SSIDs.  In this scenario how does the cameras connect to the base station please?  Also which band would the Ultra cameras connect to?  Is there any logic behind which band the cameras will use (signal strength for example)?  Would I have to make one or more of the SSIDs visable?

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@SB97 wrote:

Hi,

Where I am looking to setup these cameras the wifi-router (which is a dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz unit) is setup to hide both it's SSIDs.  In this scenario how does the cameras connect to the base station please?  Also which band would the Ultra cameras connect to?  Is there any logic behind which band the cameras will use (signal strength for example)?  Would I have to make one or more of the SSIDs visable?

The Ultra base can connect via either 2.4 or 5 ghz to the Ultra cam... Depends on signal strength....The base sets up its own wifi network that talks only to the cameras.

As to older cams, then the Smarthub will be on 2.4 ghz to those cameras.

You have no access into the Ultra base and can not turn off the SSID.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
catemp
Apprentice
Apprentice
The cameras don’t connect your Wi-Fi. The base station that comes with the kit plugs into to your router with cat 5. The cameras then communicate with the base station over Wi-Fi.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@SB97 wrote:

Hi,

The Ultra base can connect via either 2.4 or 5 ghz to the Ultra cam... Depends on signal strength....The base sets up its own wifi network that talks only to the cameras.

As to older cams, then the Smarthub will be on 2.4 ghz to those cameras.

You have no access into the Ultra base and can not turn off the SSID.

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation