Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing Issues

Discussion stats
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello,

@JamesC

Ever since I have updated my Arlo Ultra Base Station to Firmware Version 1.12.1.7_32817, and my Arlo Ultra Camera to Firmware Version 1.060.33.7_32761, it seems that Geofencing on the iPhone no longer works properly. I have even updated the iPhone App to Version 2.7.7 and still issues persist.

I have removed the second user from that I share the system with and re-added them, but the device still shows “in-zone” and never will set the system to Armed, or visa/versa when Disarmed. That users device will sometimes then show “unavailable” in the Geofencing portion of the Mode section of the Arlo App as well. Both of our iPhones are running the absolute latest software updates too. We have made no changes of our own or added any new devices, but after the latest Firmware updates from Arlo, it seems everything broke.

I have tried several fixes as listed in previous threads:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/GEOFENCING-Defect/td-p/1691242/jump-to/first-unread-message

However, nothing seems to work. I am reaching out to the community and @JamesC for help, and to see if any other users are experiencing these issues.

Please let me know as I am quite frustrated that this just happened with another broken Firmware update.

- D
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This week we deployed an update on our cloud server to improve geofencing reliability when multiple users are enabled. With this update, when one mobile device exits the geofencing zone, the Arlo Base Station or Arlo SmartHub now detects and sets the geofencing state based on the location of the additional/second mobile device on your Arlo Account.

We previously mentioned we would be sharing a survey in order to collect more detailed information around the use of our geofencing feature. The information gathered in this survey will help our team to enhance and optimize the geofencing feature for a wider variety of unique user environments. We would sincerely appreciate it if you would participate in the survey by clicking on the link below:

Arlo Geofencing Survey

We are grateful your continued patience as our team works to optimize this feature for all users and your feedback is always welcome. Our team will continue to provides updates in the Arlo Community when we have additional information to share.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.

View solution in original post

191 REPLIES 191
Dannybear
Master
Master
Well it was good while my geofencing workaround lasted. Arlo has achieved its goal in making my system almost pointless to own. Thank you Arlo.

At least I can still watch my home get burgled while away.

Yes done all the App reloads, base resets, subtraction and adding, double dipping and even some cursing.

No I do not need help, just thought I would let Arlo know that they are succeeding, that’s all.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dj3w3ll1,

Try the following:

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have had to do this multiple times between mi iPhone X and my wife’s iPhone XR. It usually works when we both hard reset our phones but only when we both are at home. Hopefully this helps.
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello,

I have tried all the solutions everyone has listed below including @JamesC solution. This did not work at all, as I am writing this the secondary device is out of range and still shows as “in-zone” so nothing seems to work.

Would the next step be, remove all Ultra cameras from the Base Station and reset the Base Station as well and start over? Preform a entirely new setup if you will?

Please let me know.

- D
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dj3w3ll1,

I don't recommend a factory reset or new setup. The development team is working on an app release that addresses several geofencing issues being reported by users. We hope to have that app update available soon. I will post an update in this thread when I have more information on this release.

JamesC

ryde21
Star
Star

After latest update to Arlo app 2.7.7  the Geofencing stoped working. It don't react on leaving or coming. Seems like the app is not running in background.   Each time I pressing on the Arlo app it starts with login.  Using IOS 12.2

ryde21
Hauptman
Initiate
Initiate
I’ve seen a number of this is solved, but my geofencing is still not working intermittently ~30% of the time. It either doesn’t change into armed mode when I leave, or stays in armed mode when I return. Help is greatly appreciated!
ryde21
Star
Star

A new app will be welcome asap! I think I'm sure about the problem:

If the app recently have been open before leaving home, then geofencing will work properly.

However , if the app hasn't been opened for some time (don't know how many hours, but less than 24), then geofencing will not recognize the leaving from home.

ryde21
Tomt1
Star
Star

I hate complaining but Arlo mostly just frustrates me.  For the cost, this is the worst technology I own.  All the Geofencing topics are marked as "Solved" but they aren't.  I try all the "remedies" and still crappy performance.  It's highly unreliable on a second phone.  Just voicing my total disappointment with this big name, performing product.  Bad geofencing isn't the only complaint I have, just most current and prominent frustration.  I now own a Ring doorbell and will convert all cameras to it or something else all together.  While having the Arlo Pro cameras is better than nothing, the system is a huge disappointment and I tell people to steer clear.  Unfortunately large company machines have the ability to keep cranking out, for awhile, rather than fix it.  But sooner or later, small companies with better technology and service win out, (and sometimes become big company machines, alas).

Tomt1
Star
Star

So with my post, I now rank up to "Aspirant" in the Arlo community.

ryde21
Star
Star

I have double checked the behaviour I wrote about 2 days ago, and it's clear that geofencing only works correct if the app has been opened recently before leaving home. 

ryde21
RodMJ
Guide
Guide

Just want to add my two cents, that yes once again, Geofencing is NOT working. This is not a surprise anymore.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new Android update for the Arlo Mobile app was just released addressing a bug specific to Custom modes and Geofencing. Please make sure to download the latest Arlo Mobile app and test again to see if you are still experiencing this issue.

Arlo Android App - 2.7.10 - 16th May 2019

More updates and improvements for Geofencing are slated for release in the very near future. Stay tuned.

JamesC

dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
I see that the Android App was updated to address Geofencing issues..but where is the iOS version for iPhone users? I haven’t seen an update for iOS at all for going on a month, and now we are still left waiting longer still to address the Geofencing issues still much in need of correcting.

Please let the community know, if there is a version pending Apple approval from the App Store Team..or a timeframe at least that will address the Geofencing issue for us iOS users!

Best,

- D
ryde21
Star
Star

I'm using Apple IOS. Please make a new app available for that platform - not only Android.

rgds

ryde21
Simontr1
Initiate
Initiate

Same for me with geofencing. 2 phones connected via ios and yet only one shows out of zone when we are both out!?

dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC

Been a few days, and we haven’t heard a response from you or your team yet addressing our issues STILL with the current iOS build of Arlo App for iPhone. Please respond, as I know I speak for many, our frustrations are building as our 800+ dollar systems are nearly rendered useless when using Geofencing, and I’m guessing a majority of us iPhone users use this feature in some sort of our everyday lives.

Again, please respond..we’ll be waiting.

Best,

- D
Tuareg0xFFFF
Guide
Guide

Geofencing has stopped working few days back. Appears to be either server side or app problem. Rebooted iPhone, iPad, camera few times, reinstalled Arlo app, reconfigured geo fencing - nothing works. Please fix ASAP. This is not a quantum mechanics

Tomt1
Star
Star

Arlo folks rarely if ever reply here.  They don't actually have support other than FAQ's.  Very **bleep**ty customer service.

ryde21
Star
Star

Today  (May 25) I installed the new APP , version 2.7.9 for IOS.

What's happened :

THE APP DON'T DETECTED ME ARRIVING HOME (older version did) !!!!!!!!!!!!!  ---- a new bug !

Dear development team, please listen to all error reports from customers and test properly before deliver.

ryde21
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
Latest app update totally killed geofencing what is going on over there?! Do you have a rookie programmer working on your software? This is getting old and becoming a big waist of time.
DHSSREDSTAR
Guide
Guide

As of May 25th Geofencing still does not work for Android.  It used to work perfectly but since one of the recent updates it always thinks my device is "out of zone".   I've tried all the remedies listed (rebooting, restarting the base station, cycling the devices, playing around with all my phones GPS settings etc).

Not sure why it thinks my device is out of zone... it must have broken logic around the perimeter settings for the address I put in.    Essentially this makes one of my cameras unsuable and will have to just leave it disarmed until they fix it.  Goes without  SAYING I won't be buying anymore NEW cameras until they fix this.

BigMunny
Tutor
Tutor
Since the recent iOS update to 2.7.9 Geofencing stopped working correctly. It worked great before.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Tomt1 wrote:

Arlo folks rarely if ever reply here. 

I see daily messages from a handful of Arlo moderators.

If you have not seen anything, it may be because you are posting in the middle of a long running discussions started by someone else.

There is so much traffic here that they won't have time keeping up with every twist and turn of a discussion that has been running for weeks, if not months, and that has probably gone way "off topic".

If you want to get their attention it might help to start a fresh discussion with your issue, and then hope that it doesn't get hijacked by someone who can't work out how to start their own message stream.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime