Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing Issues

Discussion stats
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello,

@JamesC

Ever since I have updated my Arlo Ultra Base Station to Firmware Version 1.12.1.7_32817, and my Arlo Ultra Camera to Firmware Version 1.060.33.7_32761, it seems that Geofencing on the iPhone no longer works properly. I have even updated the iPhone App to Version 2.7.7 and still issues persist.

I have removed the second user from that I share the system with and re-added them, but the device still shows “in-zone” and never will set the system to Armed, or visa/versa when Disarmed. That users device will sometimes then show “unavailable” in the Geofencing portion of the Mode section of the Arlo App as well. Both of our iPhones are running the absolute latest software updates too. We have made no changes of our own or added any new devices, but after the latest Firmware updates from Arlo, it seems everything broke.

I have tried several fixes as listed in previous threads:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/GEOFENCING-Defect/td-p/1691242/jump-to/first-unread-message

However, nothing seems to work. I am reaching out to the community and @JamesC for help, and to see if any other users are experiencing these issues.

Please let me know as I am quite frustrated that this just happened with another broken Firmware update.

- D
191 REPLIES 191
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just wish tech reviewers would be able to spend enough time with the hardware, software and support to realize what a dog and pony show Arlo/Netgear really is.

Arlo hardware universally gets named as the best home cameras in article after article, but these reviewers don't have the hardware long enough to test out all the features to really be able to make that judgement, unfortunately.

Taybo20
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think you’re being disingenuous to me, but that’s your issue not mine if you want to start name calling.

The reality is I’m not having problems and if you want to come see my setup let’s trade information and you can. As I’ve said, my geofencing is working exactly how I have it setup.

In regards to customer service, I haven’t had that many dealings with them. I called once over the phone and the guy fixed the issue I had. Mostly I really just want better communication about HomeKit support, and actual HomeKit support. That’s really my only gripe.
Tuareg0xFFFF
Guide
Guide

We might be half way there with geofencing drama - one week and a couple of software updates later. Half-way because it (geofencing)  works fine when leaving the house - the camera gets automatically armed. However returning back home does not disarm the camera. If I go to the app and switch geo fencing off and back on - it properly detected me being home and disarms the camera.

Common, Arlo, almost there!

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
The only problem with being halfway there is the developers are breaking what used to work so everyone who is upset has a full right to be.. None the less wishful thinking
Tuareg0xFFFF
Guide
Guide

Sam,

I naively believe Arlo wants this nighmare to go away as much as we do. Hopefully they will hire qualified developers (they are not cheap) and invest more into QA...

MaxSprecher
Guide
Guide

Either by fixing an issue or issues and updating the Arlo software app at some point in time they caused another bug to show up (in our case the geo-fencing Home Mode not working) or IOS changed something in their recent updates, could be Location Services or some other security change, which resulted in the the geo-fencing issues. Regardless, we're screwed until a fix is available but it has to come from the Arlo team.

PG467
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had this issue everything was working fine in the app with geofencing ! I checked the schedules and there were schedules set that I for sure know I didn’t set so I deleted them ! Also in the notifications of the arlo app (phone setting ) turn on in and out of zone notification ! It all worked perfectly from then on
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
I looked at schedules that is setup with geofencing and nothing has changed! Same schedule that I have always had setup.. This issue is more than likely the firmware because from my understanding that is what sets geofencing perimeters then the app tells it what it needs to be.. just my 2¢
MaxSprecher
Guide
Guide

My Arlos have not had a firmware upgrade for quite a while and everything was working fine up until not too long ago, somewhere in May. Everything started for me somewhere between the latest IOS or Arlo app updates. My guess is the former.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix was released for the Geofencing feature late last week. Try using Geofencing again to see if it is behaving as expected.

You can find more information on this here: https://status.arlo.com/

JamesC

Morten-Kroejby
Apprentice
Apprentice
James please read the replyes. After 2.7.10 geofence is still not working.
I updated to 2.7.10 4 days ago, testet it and found it was still not working. On the status page you tell US to look at, your development team types that geofence issue has been solbes 2 days ago, but there is no new app available in app store, and firmware in all my 4 basestations is still the same as of 24. Of May. = problem still persist.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Morten-Kroejby,

The fix i'm referring to was not a firmware update or an app release, this was a server side fix. I recommend re-enabling geofencing and testing again to see if you still experience an issue.

JamesC

pinkmuffin420
Tutor
Tutor
Noticed it working properly a free days ago. I figured arlo pushed out some server side code
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not working for me still.  I'm out of zone and my wife just left the zone, so the system should have armed, but it did not.  It's still showing my wife as being in the zone.

I changed mode to Disarm and then back to Geofencing, but no luck.

MaxSprecher
Guide
Guide

My Iphone had an update to 12.3.1 which I installed this WK and the geofencing is working again both ways. I don't know if it's related but up until last week the geofencing 'Home Mode' was not working but since a few days it's back to normal. 

Tuareg0xFFFF
Guide
Guide

The same here - geofencing works both ways again for a couple days now......

BigMunny
Tutor
Tutor

Mine is working again.

App version is at: 2.7.10 (91)

dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC

As of 6/3/19 @ 7:00pm EST Geofencing is still not working. My wife and I have two iPhones both updated to iOS 12.3.1 and the Arlo App 2.7.10.

I even went as far as singing out and the deleting the Arlo App, and resetting location services on both iPhones and powering devices off and back on. Prior to the Arlo App deletion I removed my wife from the Arlo Authorized users list or removed her Admin rights. After that I re-downloaded the Arlo App (2.7.10) on both of our iPhones. What is strange is that when I added the Arlo back to my wife’s iPhone, it didn’t ask for permission for location services until I shared the Arlo Account devices with her (Gave her Admin privileges), only then did the Arlo App ask for location privileges on her device. I have the Arlo System “Arming/Schedule” when leaving and Disarming for when either is “Home.” We both left our house, and I noticed again, no notification for “Armed” when we were away. So I checked the Arlo App and it stated I was “Out of Zone” while my wife’s iPhone said “In-Zone” still, and by this time we were well away from our Home. So I tried the trick that many have been using, setting to “Disarmed” then back to “Geofencing/Schedule” manual while we were away. This did work, but again it wasn’t a automatic switch like it should be, like it has been before.

When we arrived back Home, to my surprise, both iPhones showed “In-Zone” but the Arlo System did not switch to “Disarmed” like it should. So I did preform another manual “Disarm” then “Geofencing/Schedule” switch, and the system then did change to “Home” and disarm, but again still no automatic switch.

So the server side fixes for geofencing Arlo has put in place a few days back, and the App and Firmware updates for “bug fixes” hasn’t resolved anything. I have Several Arlo Ultras, all up to date running the latest Base Station Firmware and Camera Firmware, still issues persist.

Will you PLEASE address this issue..this is getting very very frustrating, and we are ALL growing tired of waiting.

- D
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is definitely not fixed for me, in fact it's worse than what it was the past week or week and a half

Now, even disarming and then putting it back on geofencing doesn't "fix" the problem like it used to

Taybo20
Aspirant
Aspirant
What are your settings under geofence?
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Away mode = armed

Home mode=scheduled

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@pinkoos wrote:

Home mode=scheduled

Some people have reported that this causes problems.

Works fine here.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Taybo20
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah that’s exactly how I have mine set and it works perfectly.
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Geofencing should work with any mode, scheduled or not

I was surprised when the Arlo person here said this was a server side fix yesterday.  I thought to myself there's no way this could only be an issue on the server side.  There most likely needs to either be an app update and/or firmware update to the basestation to fix this

Taybo20
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think it’s user error then. It’s possible you have bad hardware or bad firmware.