Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing Issues

Discussion stats
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello,

@JamesC

Ever since I have updated my Arlo Ultra Base Station to Firmware Version 1.12.1.7_32817, and my Arlo Ultra Camera to Firmware Version 1.060.33.7_32761, it seems that Geofencing on the iPhone no longer works properly. I have even updated the iPhone App to Version 2.7.7 and still issues persist.

I have removed the second user from that I share the system with and re-added them, but the device still shows “in-zone” and never will set the system to Armed, or visa/versa when Disarmed. That users device will sometimes then show “unavailable” in the Geofencing portion of the Mode section of the Arlo App as well. Both of our iPhones are running the absolute latest software updates too. We have made no changes of our own or added any new devices, but after the latest Firmware updates from Arlo, it seems everything broke.

I have tried several fixes as listed in previous threads:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/GEOFENCING-Defect/td-p/1691242/jump-to/first-unread-message

However, nothing seems to work. I am reaching out to the community and @JamesC for help, and to see if any other users are experiencing these issues.

Please let me know as I am quite frustrated that this just happened with another broken Firmware update.

- D
191 REPLIES 191
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice

I personnaly spoke with the Arlo Level 2 Support group today. I complained on social meda (Twitter) about Geofencing being broke for 3-4 weeks and that it does not work for 2 people any more. They assigned me a Support Request Number, and then called me today to find out what is not working. I told them what isnt working on my Arlo, as in doesnt recognize a 2nd user. Even though that person is shown in zone and states Disarmed - the camera's still go off. They asked for my phone brand, IOS operation version and also the Arlo version.

They stated that THEY are aware of Geofencing not working and developement is working to address.

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the update appreciate it hopefully soon it’s fixed
Sparky7
Guide
Guide
It's worked this morning after weeks of not working have they done an update? I'll report more as time goes on fingers crossed. I've not changed anything
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice
My brother in law, who is wrapping up a massive home remodel, texted me yesterday as he needs to decide on security cameras for his home. He asked, "Arlo or Nest.?" While I don't know anything about Nest products, it was easy for me to at least give him a flat out, "Stay away from Arlo."
Tomt1
Star
Star

This is the best advertisement Ring could ask for!

Sparky7
Guide
Guide
So now it works 50% of the time when leaving but never when one of us returns so at least something seems to be happening still not good enough though
OneButton
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased and setup. I have yet to see geofence EVER WORKING. The forums are riddled with issues. this is a key feature that is fundamentally broken. What is the current status for this feature WORKING on both ios and android?

P.S. You should NOT have to have the app running in order for this to work.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have exactly the same problems - did this while at home just now.  Both phones are in zone but Arlo says one is in zone and the phone with the main account out of zone.

Tried it again and now it says both devices unavailable.

Really not sure where to go now...

Tomt1
Star
Star

Go here. Pain now, relief later.

oakleyd2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks so much! I’ve been trying to figure out how to fix the issue for a few months and that did it! Just hoping i don’t need to do that all the time...
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

As of 7-1 no reply from any Arlo/Netgear employees! Still same problems no geofencing and now a new bug when opening the app it constantly tells me I’m either away or home zone.. I guess this new solution of going with a different camera system will be the only short and long term solution.. Good bye Arlo great hardware poor support..

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As we have previously shared, Arlo’s geofencing feature is working as expected for most customers. We understand that there is a limited subset of users who have more unique user environments for which the geofencing feature may not readily meet their needs.

We are very aware of how important the geofencing feature is and, in order to ensure that it meets the needs of as many of our valued Arlo users as possible, we appreciate that so many of you have generously shared the details of your unique user environment.

Over the past several weeks we have made multiple updates on our cloud server to help address the unique setups of various user environments and we have also been collecting additional feedback from select users who have shared the details of their user environment/setup.

In addition, we are in the process of preparing a survey to collect the details of our more advanced users. The information we gather will help our team to enhance and optimize the geofencing feature for a wider variety of unique user environments. We expect to share the survey in the coming weeks.

As always, we look forward to and appreciate your continued feedback.

Thank you,
Arlo Team

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm willing to work with your teams to help dive into this issue

burgr86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Happy to help troubleshoot my problem is that shared basestations have stopped working with geofencing used to be for many years that if I had multiple base stations all of them would detect out or in zone and arm or disarm themselves example I have two base stations at our primary home and if both my wife and I leave both base stations would arm themselves. We have a similar setup in our vacation home so when we arrive there both basestations at our vacation home would disarm when we arrive. That no longer works. Only the basestations logged into reacts so if we were last logged into our primary home base station neither vacation home basestation responds when we arrive. Was this a deliberate change as it had worked perfectly for three years.
Kabbachi
Star
Star
The geofencing is still not working properly. It shows that both devices is out of zone but it does not switch to away mode
Rkhair08
Initiate
Initiate

We have two base station and two different locations. The geofencing doesn’t work at either location. Up to this week it would send notifications that we left but would not arm. Now it doesn’t even notice we have left home or returned. 

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well.. From 4-26 to 7-12 there is still no fix! We as a consumer should be filling this with the BBB and local and federal commissions! Arlo/Netgear as a whole are not fulfilling there side of the contract once you agree to there terms for the service of “ fixes, service, provider “ they as a whole have terminated there contract as a provider. I will be perusing this after I have finished what I have to say.. I have paid well over 1300 dollars for a product that blatantly does not work. I pay for a service that is so fundamentally flawed it’s not even funny. I hope everyone here takes my advice and reports them. I’m done with this garbage will trust another company thanks for nothing Arlo . I will not trust you anymore to keep me and my family safe..
Birdwatch
Guide
Guide
I’m so done with this sh!! Get in touch with me if anyone wants to buy my stuff. Going somewhere else. Chow!!!
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Birdwatch
LMAO I guess I really didn’t need to go to the extent I did in my previous post! You hit it spot on well said
shooteverything
Guide
Guide

@JamesC As I have previously shared my system is STILL not working... depsite your claims that everything is working just fine "for most users" 

I have an arlo Ultra base station and 3 cameras. 

We bought the system for our photo studio specifically because the geo-fencing feature suited our scenario. 

We have 3 photographers that come and go at different times of day. 

Photographer A is on an ipone

Photographer B is on an iphone

Photographer C is on a Android device 

Currently We are all in here, and the system shows the two iphones as "out of Zone" and the android device as "unavailable" 

The status of each device seems to bounce around from one incorrect status to another.

I have done system re-sets, phone re-sets, triple checked settings, updated firmware, deleted and uninstalled the app, moved the ge-fencing location, save, close, re-set the geofencing location, save close, log out, log in. 

I dont think our use case scenario is a partiuclary exotic one... it should work, and it doesnt. It never has and I want my money back.

Ray-Bee
Tutor
Tutor

"As we have previously shared, Arlo’s geofencing feature is working as expected for most customers. We understand that there is a limited subset of users who have more unique user environments for which the geofencing feature may not readily meet their needs."

So a select subset of users mysteriously, and all of a sudden, transported into a more unique user environment at the exact same time a software/firmware update was released. OMG - I entered the Twilight Zone too.

Mine arms / disarms correctly about 5% of the time. Consistently inconsistent.

Sparky7
Guide
Guide
That rare breed of people that don't live alone or have 2 people connected to the system are all that's affected well done can't be many then.
pecanflyboy
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have two Arlo Pro2 systems at my residence and neither will arm in geofence mode. All firmware is updated. iPhone is updated. Location services are set to always. In fact I just upgraded to a new iPhone X with a new carrier. Still no geofence arm. Worked well until just a few months ago. JamesC, no special circumstances.
burgr86
Apprentice
Apprentice
This sounds like my exact scenario are you by chance sharing the accounts so both accounts can see all the cameras? That’s my setup worked perfectly for several years now only the base station account I am logged into responds to geofencing the other one ignores geofencing completely. And they say it’s only a few users still having issues, shows how utterly out of touch this company is l. Patience is running thin and after several years of being loyal to this company I may be selling mine soon before this company folds up their tent. How else can you explain what’s been happening and now for several months no fixes in sight.
Ray-Bee
Tutor
Tutor
I have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones connected to the system (mine and the wife's) but only my iPhone is set up for geofencing until this problem gets resolved. I hope they don't go toes-up because I really like the product. It's just their inability to root out the software bugs that seems to be their Achilles heel.