Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello,

@JamesC

Ever since I have updated my Arlo Ultra Base Station to Firmware Version 1.12.1.7_32817, and my Arlo Ultra Camera to Firmware Version 1.060.33.7_32761, it seems that Geofencing on the iPhone no longer works properly. I have even updated the iPhone App to Version 2.7.7 and still issues persist.

I have removed the second user from that I share the system with and re-added them, but the device still shows “in-zone” and never will set the system to Armed, or visa/versa when Disarmed. That users device will sometimes then show “unavailable” in the Geofencing portion of the Mode section of the Arlo App as well. Both of our iPhones are running the absolute latest software updates too. We have made no changes of our own or added any new devices, but after the latest Firmware updates from Arlo, it seems everything broke.

I have tried several fixes as listed in previous threads:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/GEOFENCING-Defect/td-p/1691242/jump-to/first-unread-message

However, nothing seems to work. I am reaching out to the community and @JamesC for help, and to see if any other users are experiencing these issues.

Please let me know as I am quite frustrated that this just happened with another broken Firmware update.

- D
191 REPLIES 191
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
It’s nice to see that someone is listening hopefully it gets figured out quick thanks
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

My wife's location services/privacy were all set up correctly, allowing the Arlo app "always" access to location, etc.

So, not an issue with her device, her app, her setup or her anything

Taybo20
Aspirant
Aspirant
Interesting. Arlo clearly doesn’t like her something or vice versa tho.

Did you try reinstalling the app on her phone? Then going through the process of adding her to the base station?
Sam_C
Tutor
Tutor
Can you remove your device and get the geofencing working 100% with her device only then once you have that reactivate yours as it seems to work fine with yours alone but doesn’t seem to be the case with hers alone so whatever issue is causing that may be the issue for all your problems and if you can figure out getting it working as a solo geofencing device it might just keep working when you turn it back on for your device.
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just wait on Arlo to fix this now, especially since they admitted yesterday on this forum that there is still a problem and they are working on it

I'd rather not waste any more of my time on this until they say another fix is out (whether it's server side, an app update or a basestation firmware update)

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
As of 6-6 still it working for multiple people.. Very frustrating to say the least let’s hope soon..
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo’s geofencing feature is now working as expected for most customers. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience during this time. 

For more details on how to add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing, please see this Arlo Knowledge Base Article

Our team is committed to optimizing this feature for all users and their various use cases. With this in mind, Arlo will soon host a survey to collect more specific feedback around users’ environment and set up. We would appreciate your participation in this survey as the information you share will assist our team to enhance our products to best meet our customers’ demands. 

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.

dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC

So your going to post that we are going to have an update to the Geofencing issue here on 6/6/19 only to get our hopes up, and to “stay tuned” but then only to post on 6/6/19 saying that “it’s working for most.” Is this supposed to be a joke? Then your going to send out a survey asking how we use..Geofencing? For real? How does anyone use Geofencing when it comes to any kind of Home Security/Camera System with multiple users..when both People leave Home the System should Arm, and both should report as “Out of Zone.” Obviously this isn’t happening..unless your just not reading our comments? I’ll tell you again... GEOFENCING RULES only work with a single user attached to one singular Base Station. As soon as you add a secondary user..it’s over, nothing works, the primary will show as “In-Zone” when Home and “Out of Zone” when away from Home, nothing Arms, or Disarms and the Secondary user will show as “In-Zone” indefinitely..or sometimes “Unavailable.”

It seems that the people here on the forums can troubleshoot better than the entire Arlo Software Dev Team..or again your just not reading our comments.

Seriously...you guys need to get with the program..this was not a acceptable solution..so I made sure to un-mark this as accepted.

Can you give us a real update?

Best,

- D
pinkoos
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree with this comment
RodMJ
Guide
Guide

I totally agree with this comment as well.

I  have the exact same issue. VMB4000r3, 1 x H3 and 2 x H11 cameras. iPhone 6 and iPhone 5.

(Yes this is an Arlo Ultra Group, discussion, but it is happening with my hardware as well)

shooteverything
Guide
Guide

Just saw @JamesC 's message saying the issue had been fixed and got really excited to be able to finally actually use the camera system I purchased for our studio. 

Turned it from "disarmed" to "geofencing" and immediatly started to get motion alerts despite someone who is added to the system being in there.... problem is definitly still not fixed. 

Support has straight up stopped responding to my correspondance. 

all up, a really dissapointing first experience with netgear / arlo. 

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
As of 6-8 still not working with multiple users updates would be great on what is happening to resolve underlying issues.
Ericming
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have same issue as of today 10th June.
Apparently it has not been fixed. We paid for premium price for this product and service outage every year
MORGiON666
Star
Star

@JamesC 

This response is a disgrace, My geofencing actually used to work with multiple users untill a couple of weeks ago when it was broken by an update.

This response, combined with the lack of communication about the alleged homekit support is really making me regret my decision to purchase this product.

You and you superiors really need to take a long hard look at the way you are treating your customers, because it is utterly disgracefull.

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think at this point they have no clue what is going on with the geofencing! It seems to me that we need to find out which version of the app worked and have them post it here so we can downgrade and see if that is the culprit or not. And yes this is getting old...
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
Oh and on top of that we all are paying for something that doesn’t work.. That in in itself should make the Arlo team do more about this CONSTANT problem..
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice

GeoFencing still not working. When will this be fixed?

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also one other problem has arose that is smart notifications is detecting my bushes blowing around all day even when I have all other motion turned off so I have gotten over 100 notifications today and that is just as annoying..
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, i have that same issue now.
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why is Arlo Support so silent on this topic?! I can’t trust the system to protect my home and family. I switched from ADT to Arlo, what should I do now Arlo SUPPORT?
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Update:

As of 8:00am EST it seems for now for the first time in a loooong time my Arlo App is working with Geofencing rules!!!

I even asked my wife if she had been using the Arlo App this morning, last night or even opened it within the last few days, she has not. Which is what I was hoping for. It’s not backgrounded or open...nothing.

I am PRAYING that Arlo identified the real issue and we can finally put this to rest. I will report back if it continues to work over the next couple of days.

Best,

D
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice

Im still having issue today (6/11/2019). Geofencing Enabled Devices are 2. My phone says "unavailable". My wife's phone is in zone.  I have set Arlo to Armed IPhone to Location NEVER, shut off phone and then reset Iphone Location to Always and Arlo to Geo. NO differece.  Why is it that Arlo Support isnt on this forum assisting and solving vs the group. Im only goinng to put up with this crap for a couple more days and then going back to ADT that has a responsive Support Group........  

dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Update:

As of 6/12/19 at 8:00am EST, it seems that Geofencing is NOT working again for me. It seems that my secondary iPhone yesterday did report “Out of Zone” correctly, and when my device left for the day it also reported “Out of Zone” and the system armed Away Mode. However once my wife returned home with the secondary device, the device showed as “In Zone” but the Base Station did not set the system back to Home Mode and disarm properly.

As of today 6/12/19, the secondary device is still showing as “In Zone” when it is not, as my wife left for work at least a hour ago.

So sadly, Geofencing is definately still broken.

Best,

D
RickWNich
Apprentice
Apprentice

Its even sadder is that Arlo Support indicates all is fine and wont make a comment on this.  What's the next step for all of us?

RodMJ
Guide
Guide

My Arlo IOS app has been asking for a review, which I normally ignore. This morning I gave my one star review........