Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No geofence devices listed

Discussion stats
brad_lewis
Tutor
Tutor

When trying to set up geofenceing there is No devices listed under available devices, how ever under setting privacy settings there are three devices listed. How to I get them across?

256 REPLIES 256
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If they’re old, they will always be “away”. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

If they’re old, they will always be “away”. 

That shouldn't be unless you've selected for ALL devices to be used rather than specific ones.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just wish I could figure out how to add my devices back without having to cancel my account.  I have several devices in my "TRUSTED DEVICES" but when I go to "Automations" to Arrive/Leave settings, it shows "No Devices" and I havent been able to figure out how to add them back.

2023-12-23 12.22.10.jpg2023-12-23 12.19.30.png2023-12-23 12.18.55.png

Renald
Initiate
Initiate

I have exactly the same problem and I am really getting frustrated! I have 3 cameras in different locations which are 140 km away. The Geofencing with modus "abwesenheit aktiviert" did not react to any phone (and I also had all the ones of my wife and me listed!) ... it just was "on" all the time and the only way to stop it was to switch-off the camera. So I deleated all the phones and now it's impossible to insert the active phone again. What a MESS .. Arlo, please HELP!!!

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Spoiler
I have the exact same problem. I had an issue whereby after updating to the new app my two phones duplicate themselves. I can delete the duplicated via privacy settings but they will return. I tried deleting the extra phones on the my Arlo web UI and then found I had no phones available for GF yet in my privacy settings the phones still show up as available for GF but I can’t delete them. I have also had the same experience with customer support regarding the duplicate phone issue. Repetitive  questions that are not relevant and they don’t read what information you send them. Ideally I would like to contact someone in the Californian Office to discuss the issues with both Arlo secure app and the lack of customer service. There must be someway to get Arlo to take notice of dissatisfied customers. 
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I had the same problem and unfortunately the only solution was to delete the account and start again. Arlo support are a waste of your time. If you can’t find the solution yourself they won’t be much use to you. I would like to raise these issues with the relevant person in the Californian office but of course they hide their emails. But maybe they will see the frustration they have created with their new app. 

Rebelranter
Guide
Guide

It’s unlikely that they have a support team in California. In fact it is more likely that they use partner companies to deliver their frontline support.

You could try requesting an escalation on your case to seek some Backline support or manager assistance.

However, I don’t think that will achieve anything. 

if you want to resolve your issue you unfortunately have to take matters in to your own hands. That means deleting your Arlo account and creating a new account. 

I am the original creator of this thread that is now marked as “retired_member”. This is what I had to do.

I am so disappointed that it has come to this, I purchased 5 cameras 5 years ago and another 6 cameras this year. I am an active Arlo subscription holder too, no acknowledgment, no gesture or apology. I used to recommend Arlo, but not anymore.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I finally did the same thing. Frustrating. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Once the devices are not available when you try to setup an arrive or leave automation, they will not return. Even if they appear in your privacy settings. All you can do is reset all cameras and close your account. Set up a new account and start again. You will lose your current months subscription as Arlo no longer does pro rata refunds. However your access to the subscription will continue until the paid period ends. Many people have experienced this problem and Arlo are silent as they are with most customer problems. Good luck. I have done this more than once to try and eliminate a problem where the phones on my account duplicate themselves. 

Tech1964
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've spent hours on the phone with Arlo support explaining that the fail is on their end between the cloud and the app. Devices can be deleted but nobody seems to have a clue on how to re-add them. I've seen posts where the only way to resolve the issue is to delete your account and start from scratch. I, like all the others experiencing this issue had many old phones listed in my "available geofencing devices" under profile/account. I went online on a PC to my Arlo Secure (paid subscription) account and deleted the additional phones and what appeared to be duplicate phones (my own included) now geofencing does not detect my phones and geofencing is broken. the schedules do work, but no geofencing functionality. If removing these duplicate and old phones is going to break the geofencing capability and there is NO known way to re-add them without deleting your account and re-setting it up, Arlo should not include this function in the new UI.....This is unreal!

R1BennettX
Guide
Guide

I spent a few hours on support chat and supplied a lot of screen shots. The chat feature is extremely difficult to switch between chat and the app since chat is in the app. They drop you after a few minutes of no communications, so I had to start a new thread at one point. Very frustrating! The new rep was able to find the first thread, but had to catch up.

I found the clutter of old devices with old phone names in privacy (took community posts to find that) and in automations for arrive/leave. I deleted the lot of them thinking at least my device I was using would remain. It is listed in privacy, but never was in the automation screen. So after deleting what I could in privacy, I now have no devices. I set up a separate account on another phone and invited that one to join the first. That device doesn't show in privacy or automations. I logged into my first (primary) account with the second device and recorded to trust it. Still not showing in automations or privacy, but does under two-step authentication. 

The device names and list of devices in two-step authentication do not match up to those that were/are in privacy/automations. They are separate lists. Support was having me work on trusted devices thinking they would show up, but that process doesn't work since they are clearly separate things. What is missing is an onboarding process (that works) for devices into the privacy area and sync that to automations for use. No doubt a missed use case and/or bug.

Everyone should keep calling/chatting until they solve this with a software update. I'd like to make sure it is in the backlog and given appropriate priority. Replacing an account with subscription ties is unacceptable and going without geofencing is also unacceptable. I've programmed for over forty years in multiple languages and platforms. This doesn't seem to be a heavy lift. Just needs attention.

Tech1964
Aspirant
Aspirant

Clearly a disconnect between data in the cloud and information stored locally on the device and app. Deleting account and starting from zero is not an option. 

AnthonyN
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Rebelranter,

just wanted to confirm that when you deleted your account that you were able to immediately set up a new account using the same email address? Thanks. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I used a different email account. I’m hoping I can change it back to my normal email soon. Haven’t tried yet. 

Rebelranter
Guide
Guide

Hi, yes, I was able to use the same email address.

BrokenProduct
Star
Star

Bumping this - I'm having the same issue and support is non-existent.

Rebelranter
Guide
Guide

Bumping here is futile. Looks like there is no desire to rectify the problem. The workaround is to delete your entire account and recreate it. Rexcreating your account with the exact same email address works, that is how I resolved it.

It is definitely a bug, and probably something that is in Arlo's interest to resolve as the Geo fencing activation/Deactivaiton is one of the good features to be able to leverage from a home security perspective.

This issue seems to impact many people moving from the old mobile applicaiton to the new application in particular.

@ Moderators: I would suggest that you recommend that the Arlo support team at least create a knowedge article to cover this topic and the workaround if they are unwilling to take it to the engineering team for recification. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you check to see if you are able to see the devices now?

BrokenProduct
Star
Star

Well, that's disappointing - but in line with what I've seen on reddit too. Guess I'll spend my morning deleting/recreating my system.

Seems like a good reason for anyone considering this system to also look at other options.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You do not need to recreate the system. The devices need to be unhidden with our backend team. I am currently working on that at the moment and will let you know once that has been done. I will be in touch soon. 

brad_lewis
Tutor
Tutor

Still the same nothing has changed 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you please check to see if the devices are listed at this time?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you please check to see if you are now able to view the devices? 

BrokenProduct
Star
Star

Thank you! The devices are back. 

This brings me back to another problem: I have five devices listed, several of which are orphaned/outdated iPhones with generic names. How do I know which ones are being used?

R1BennettX
Guide
Guide

My device is in the list now. However, I don't see the person's device that I invited and was accepted. Is there something else I need to do for that device to also be in the list? Although it is my second device, I am using a different e-mail address and treating it like another family member or friend.