Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jksloan
Tutor
Tutor

We have the camera in the front of the house, we have all the modes set, we are not on a schedule, we can see the activity live, we increase the sensitivity but the camera will not activate and record the motion.

91 REPLIES 91
Tandt798
Initiate
Initiate
I’m going on 3 years of having them. I didn’t change anything, I have never had them on a schedule so I don’t know what changed. I’m pretty fed up and so are my parents.
Redbear6
Tutor
Tutor

Can you open tickets for all of us?

Redbear6
Tutor
Tutor

Okay, I've tried both schedule and always armed. It's also daylight before and after the cameras stop sending, so I am not sure if that is a factor. 

I gather from responses that I should check the base unit lights at night and ensure my sensitivity is turned up, although daylight sensitivity is fine. I should also walk past the cameras at night in test mode to see whether or not the red light comes on. I'll take a few screenshots tonight.

Walkerj2000
Guide
Guide

This week my three Arlo Pro 2 cameras suddenly stopped recording video at night. Between 8:00pm and 7:00am they simply don't record. I have the 2.7.10 Software Version which appears to be the most recent. On June 12 they did record videos at night (I can see them in the library of the app), but after that they don't record anything for those 11 hours of night and evening. I know they are not recording becuase I have walked infront of them in those hours and there is no record o me doing so. They record fine durring the day.

I'm about to go out of town and am increadibly unimpressed with the shear unavailibility of support. This is the only place I could find to even begin to talk to someone. I am concerned that there will be no video if anyone tries to break in while I'm gone. These cameras were not cheap and I expected them to last longer than 6 months. I have seen that others have had this same issue and that Arlo stubbornly refuses to do anything about it. This is increadibly concerning to see from a brand which is supposed to be high quality.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted the base? What are the LEDs showing?

Dannybear
Master
Master
Can I ask how long have you had the arlo system before you noticed the issue.
When you walk past the cameras at night do the night vision LEDs turn on.
What mode is the running at night.
Walkerj2000
Guide
Guide

I rebooted the base and it was showing three green lights. I won't know if it worked until later tonight.

Walkerj2000
Guide
Guide

I have had the system for about 6 months. That whole time it worked fine until a few days ago. I do not know how to check which mode it is running at night. The red leds are on at night when I walk infront of it.

Dannybear
Master
Master
When using the app or web portal click on mode to see what is actively running.
If you use schedules then check the mode for that time is correctly switching.
If you have USB backup, check if your getting recordings at night, could be a cloud based issue.
Deevah
Star
Star
Its happening to me as well. It's something that has been changed on Arlo's end. Rebooting DOES NOT resolve the issue
Deevah
Star
Star
Its happening to me as well. It's something that has been changed on Arlo's end. Rebooting DOES NOT resolve the issue.
Deevah
Star
Star
Its happening to me as well. it is defintely related to something changing on Arlos end. Rebooting DOES NOT solve the problem
Walkerj2000
Guide
Guide

The current mode is armed. I have not tried any other mode. After restarting the base station it still does not record after 8:00pm until 7:00am. I am now out of town so there is no way to test it with a usb backup until I return.

Dannybear
Master
Master
So to confirm, looking at the mode status it just says armed and you don’t have a clock or teardrop icon symbol before it?
Walkerj2000
Guide
Guide

That is correct, it just says armed with no other icons

Dannybear
Master
Master
As the issue has only recently appeared and that many are experiencing base offline issues that is impacting functionality. I would suggest a power cycle of the base is required as a soft restart will not work in my experience.
Hope this helps.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Further to this is that heaps of users in the arlo pro forum board are having same issues with no fix.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-Is-Not-Recording-At-Night/td-p/1665689
Walkerj2000
Guide
Guide

I have already attmepted to power cycle the base station and it did nothing to fix the issue.

Walkerj2000
Guide
Guide

Unfortunately, that is exactly what I was worried about. I do have a contact higher up in netgear and I'm thinking I will need to contact them about this. It's very sad to see that what is supposed to be a high end product failing so easily and often.

dtshaw82
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here! Failed is when we needed it most. Our vehicle was broken into at 2 a.m. and Arlo was NEVER triggered and the sensitivity is set to 100%. The suspect even had a flashlight and was 10 feet from the camera. We only know this because our neighbors across the street have hardwired cameras which captured it all. Talk about a false sense of security.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @dtshaw82

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

JV-CA
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, called many times without resolution. Every time you call, you start at square one. Since you are a Moderator can you ask for this issue to be escalated since there are a number of repeat concerns in this thread? I would guarantee 95% of Arlo users do not know this is occurring (as it is middle of night when you least expect activity). Let us know if you have ability to escalate, as individually nothing is happening. Thanks.
Jakkfrostt
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have also just purchased this cameras, and system, that also do not record at night. I think the issue has nothing to with hard ware or software, if you check the Arlo service plans you will see that changes have been made to what is free and what’s not. I don’t know for sure but I suspect that what was included in there “basic plan” which as of spring of this year no longer exists, many key features are no longer supported unless you pay for a plan. Package detection, person detection, zones vehicle detection are no longer supported unless you pay for a plan. In my opinion, that would also mean that night Vision is also not supported unless you pay for a plan.
RufhouseCO
Star
Star

Arlo Moderator

This may be a problem with the latest version 2.7.12(99) released July 10 2019 found in Settings-System-About. With this version, my cameras started recording video approximately 5 seconds after motion was detected which misses events. This is different from what the system had done previously. Everything worked fine until this version update. I did not change anything in my camera or system setup. Setup and camera recordings had been working fine for 6 months prior to this update. 

Seg-glider
Tutor
Tutor
Same problem. Upgraded my original arlo to arlo pro 2, but all 3 cameras are not recording after dark. They start again in the morning. Last night 5 feet away frome one camera was a big dog poop pile. No recording 😞