Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Is Not Recording At Night.

Discussion stats
Jksloan
Tutor
Tutor

We have the camera in the front of the house, we have all the modes set, we are not on a schedule, we can see the activity live, we increase the sensitivity but the camera will not activate and record the motion.

91 REPLIES 91
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Does it work during the day and just not at night? Have you checked the mode that should be selected?

Ygirl
Initiate
Initiate

Same thing it’s happening to mines all 3 cámaras are not recording at night.I had them for a week I just notice..mode is armed and sensitivity set to 100%..I don’t know what else to do.

MMM5
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have same problem last 2-3 nights the X2 external ones are not recording or picking motion up... Everything if set fine is night vision -has recorded through day..

DavidWells
Tutor
Tutor

Same here.  It's around 30 degrees at night for what that's worth.  Every day around 5:00am PST they start recording again. My system was set to ARMED at night.  Now I have a custom setting, no schedule, and it records all day long just fine (just lkiked armed) but same thing.  Sometime around 11:00pm it stops recording. It starts up again around 5:00am.  I have 3 of the Arlo Pro 2's facing the same street over my drive way and into the Cul-de-sac. 2 of them on constant power.  The Arlo's never see the nighbor leave for work at 4:00am but sees him come home.  Senstivity was cranked up to 100% in an effort to fix this.  My $45 brand camera sees all sorts of night time activity like cars, cats and racoons.

I guess that since no one has replied to anyone the rumors of poor support are true.  I'm going to return mine to Costco.  Since I need to run power to my cameras I'll go ahead and just run POE to some other brand.  This sucks. I wanted to love these.

Thanks for reading.  I'm done.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @DavidWells

When did this issue first occur? Have you tried to perform a reboot of the base station/cameras or any troubleshooting steps? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously done.

DavidWells
Tutor
Tutor
Hi @ShayneS  

The issue was first discovered about 2 weeks ago.  Sadly I had someone get inside my car and I had no video of the event.  I did found my other inferior brand camera had video.  Imagine how frustrating that is.  

Since discovering the issue I've ran 24/7 power to the main cameras facing the driveway.  Turned up the sensitivty to 100% and I've reset power to the base station in the last two weeks.  We had a power outage last week.  regarding modes, I've tried a few things and right now "armed" is enabled all the time and I have disabled all notifications to my phone and email.  Everything works like a charm until night time roles around.  

Perhaps I can try another base power reset.  Any other ideas?

I have not reset all 5 cameras.  That's crazy talk. 🙂  3 of them face the street and your suggesting I reset them all?  I've pulled the battery from one earlier this week to recharge the battery since my current mode eats battery power.  So that 1 unit still doesn't record at night.  Not sure I want to get on a ladder for the 2 that are on 24/7 power.

jdella
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat Same. Will not stream in the evening. Very frustrating and unreliable for a security system. Only thing keeping me on the system is SmartThings integration. It did work flawlessly for about a month or so in February this year where it would stream any time of day but lately it’s been back to same crappy reliability that Arlo is becoming infamous for. Arlo does not seem to care about customer concerns. They make it out like their service is instant but it’s far and beyond it. Right now my lag time is about 8 seconds so unless the person at the door stays longer than that you will totally miss communicating with them. Again not ideal for a security system and now couple that with unreliability in the evening, I don’t know why anyone would pick this system. If other cloud camera service (that are cheaper too) out there can keep reliability up and lag times down, why can’t Arlo?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @jdella

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

jdella
Tutor
Tutor
Has there been a proven solved case of this problem? Send me a link and I’ll do a write up on it proclaiming you’ve solved my problem.
DavidWells
Tutor
Tutor

I  solved this case by giving up.  I love Costco.  Since I needed constant power for 24/7 survalence I needed to run power.  Might as well run POE and then my options really opened up.  I really wanted to be an Arlo fan but even my cheap Yi cameras are out performing them.  😞

Hopefully I don't get blocked/deleted for my reply.   

I talked to Support but when I called back they didn't have my ticket on file.  What the heck is up with that?  Anyway, at the end of the day rebooting all my gear was not the answer.  I'm returning this product before my return date closes.  

Good luck out there.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @DavidWells

Due to the amount of issues described I have opened a case for you. I will contact you via private message with further information.

Jksloan
Tutor
Tutor

I find it interesting that I am the one that started this link about my Arlo cameras not recording at night.   I have had no response from Arlo at all.  I too purchased mine from Costco last November and Itoo plan to return and look for something that will suit our needs better.  I know for a fact that we have people walk our neighborhoods in the middle of the night checking for unlocked cars or breaking into cars or now they are just stealing cars right from the driveway.   Our cameras do not even pick up a car driving by after dark.  Our driveway is well lit and we see nothing at night.  

Sorry Arlo... but you have lost another customer!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jksloan

We apologize for the inconvenience, can you PM me the email you used when first setting up your system. I will create a case for you and customer support will reach out to you.

Mike26
Guide
Guide
Everything has been good for over a year, but the last couple of weeks the system stops recording or sensing in the evening. I don’t use schedules.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Mike26

Have you tried to reboot your base station & test again? 

Mike26
Guide
Guide
Yes I rebooted everything a number of times. It’s not recording or sending alerts when detecting sound or motion. It only works between 8:00am - 8:30pm

We use these cameras in our kids rooms so it’s really important.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using the schedule? How is it set?

Mike26
Guide
Guide
Not using the scheduler.

This problem has been reported by others recently as well. Just no response other than rebooting, which doesn’t fix the problem.

Arlo changed something...

Please help
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The timing (8AM - 8:30PM) is odd with no schedule. STart by creating a new custom mode with the exact same settings as before and see if that works. Do you have a USB drive installed for backups? If so, are recordings going there? Is there a chance something in your network is turning off Internet access, at least to the base station, overnight?

JV-CA
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has a solution been identified for this problem? I have the same problem, but they stop recording at midnight. Seems like every time Arlo changes there App, I run into a different issue. Any recommendations to fix this issue?
Mike26
Guide
Guide
I posted the same problem months ago.. did everything suggested and still doesn’t work. Arlo has provided no help whatsoever... for the cost you would think they’d have a support team. I’ll ride the system out another year and then replace with a product that actually works with support behind it
Tandt798
Initiate
Initiate
I have 8 Arlo’s and having the same problem, so are my parents. Thank goodness I have my cheap Zmodo cameras for backup. They need to find a fix!
Redbear6
Tutor
Tutor

Same. 

My system does not record between roughly nine in the evening and six in the morning. Unfortunately, this is when I need it the most. I have reset the base station, rebooted the system, and installed all the cameras several times.  The system is set to always armed in the default configuration and it records just fine throughout the day.  I can’t figure out what to do and would hate to dump this expensive system in the trash and go hardwired.

suggestions? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It can be hard to say what's going on. Nighttime recordings are working fine for me on various model cameras. The big thing is to test yourself to verify (lack of) operation by walking in front of the cameras and adjusting sensitivity appropriately. Sometimes posting screenshots of the cameras' views can lead to suggestions.