Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
SDRob01
Tutor
Tutor

Started getting these "#### is Fully Charged" notifications today on Galaxy S23 phone (Android 14).  Never used to get them before.  There is no way to turn battery notifications off, since they are included in the same generic "Notifications" category, so unless you turn off ALL motion and other important notifications, phone is now nagging with notifications about battery being fully charged.

My Arlo cameras are permanently connected to power sources so I'm not concerned about battery status.

Arlo support confirmed there's no way to turn off just battery charging/charged notifications.  😕

Has anyone else noticed this recently (June 2024)? 

Running latest version of app 4.14.6  on Android 14, Galaxy S23 Ultra One running UI 6.1

Screenshot_20240619_142801_One UI Home.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

Two of my Arlo cams are now sending notifications that they are fully charged.  These cams are connected to solar chargers, and thus the notifications are unnecessary--and disruptive.  Arlo support should update the firmware to fix this issue.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have reached out to our development team, I will update the community as soon as possible, 

MEEFlorida
Initiate
Initiate

This just started happening for me as well. Please notify with remedy. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I will update as soon as possible. thank you for letting us know. 

Jimmysnakes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for relaying the message, these new notifications are annoying and how I found this thread. It needs a fix asap

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

I have opened a Support Case with Arlo and have tried the technician's suggestions to remedy the problem: uninstall and re-install the Arlo app, log in from a different device, remove and re-add a camera.  The first two made no difference, and I am monitoring the specific camera that I removed and re-added.

Meanwhile, however, I believe I may have through trial-and-error arrived at a "fix" for the unwanted "fully charged" notifications that began several days ago:

Open "Settings" for an individual camera (Click on the gear symbol at the bottom right of the camera panel on the          "Devices" page).

Scroll down and click on "Camera LED."

Switch off "Battery Fully Charged Indicator."

I tested this theory on two of my Arlo Essential Spotlight, the first with the LED setting on and second with it off.  After fully charging, the first camera sent a notification, but the second did not.  Furthermore, after switching the LED setting off, none of my solar-panel-charging cameras has sent a notification.

It may be premature to offer this as a solution without further monitoring, but I wanted to get it out to the community in case others may want to try it.

Of course, stopping the notifications doesn't explain why they began in the first place, and some users may depend on the LED fully charged indicator, but these are things that the capable Arlo Support folks can tackle down the road.  

If the notifications begin again with the LED switch off, I'll let you know.

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

Well, that "fix" didn't just very long.  One of my solar-panel-connected cameras just sent a notification even though LED charge light is switch off.  I cannot explain why another camera didn't send a notification when it reached 100% charge.

Back to the drawing board.

SDRob01
Tutor
Tutor

I have noticed it varies by camera too. A few don't notify about battery at all, while some do, despite all being on same FW. I don't think it's a camera thing. 

The cameras have always reported battery status to the app, that's how it knows what icon to show. The app has recently just decided to start sending a notification when the charge is full.

Ideally, there would be a simple toggle in the app settings to disable battery status notifications, or add a new Android "notification category" for Battery Status that you could choose to turn on or off. Some people who rely on manually recharging batteries may need to know when battery is low or charged, whereas others with permanent power sources likely don't want those notifications. Android already has a perfect solution for that (notification categories), the app devs just need to make use of it. 

TheDudeMan
Initiate
Initiate

I am also suddenly having this issue on the one camera I updated the firmware on. That camera is connected to a solar panel to recharge, and with the sun coming up very early in the morning, I am now getting awoken ridiculously early thinking that someone is breaking in. Please immediately roll back this new notification until the developers implement a way to toggle this notification on and off, and to use a notification class that doesn't share the same as camera movement so it respects the OS do not disturb window.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

If these notifications have started all of a sudden, it's likely to be a software-related issue (firmware).

Arlo won't roll the firmware back. You have to wait for a new release.

So, just to be clear: firmware and other software-related releases are not tested at all or adequately enough before they're released.

One spends a pretty penny on Arlo products and, it appears, then takes part unaware in software testing for them.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation