Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Davb
Follower
Follower

When motion is detected on one of my 6 cameras the push notification sends me 6 ding sounds vice 1 like it use too. Anyone know why?

146 REPLIES 146
OurHattonHome
Star
Star

I'm glad your update fixed your multiple notifications. As far as I am concerned the update did nothing to fix the ongoing issues of the notifications nor the Geofencing not working. All I see is that Arlo is about to turn into a full blown security system. I will never expand my current service until ALL BUGS are addressed and all aspects of the system works correctly. Wish there was another wireless system that would do what Arlo does because I would sure switch to it and leave these cameras in the dust.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @OurHattonHome and @Harley85 - you're both on version 2.7.0_23403 of the app, right? 

Also - I scrolled through the thread, but I couldn't find additional info re: your current Android devices. Could you please advise:

• Affected devices and versions of Android on those devices (@OurHattonHome I'm particularly interested if you and your DH are on different devices or versions of Android, as you are both seeing the issue identically)

• Your Arlo system setup (or, just confirm that what's in your signature or provided here earlier is still correct)
  • Also, @OurHattonHome - you say you're getting TEXTED with notifications? Can you please include a screenshot of where you can set this? The only options should be Push Notifications and Email Alerts.

Thanks for your help as we hone in on the root cause to resolve this for all affected users!

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo setup is Base Station VMB3000 (hardware version VMB3010r2) running Firmware 1.12.0.1_27940, with five original Arlo VMC3030 wireless cameras (hardware versions H7 and H11) running firmware 1.3.314.

I first began posting about the problem in early December 2018, using a Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon running Android 8.0.0 and Arlo app version 2.6.4_23200 (11/26/18). At that point it had been going on for at least a month or two, so I'm pretty sure the issue existed on Arlo Android App versions back to at least 2.6.3 and probably 2.6.2 or 2.6.1. Verizon applied updates to Android on October 24 and November 19, and I'm pretty sure it was somewhere during that period that the issue started. Of course, I have no idea whether Verizon, Android, or the Arlo app has anything to do with the issue. Arlo Android App 2.6.5 came out on December 6 and didn't correct the issue either.

Although I posted earlier that the problem went away for me on January 7 and did NOT coincide with an Android or Arlo app update, I see now that Arlo DID release Arlo Android App update 2.7.0 on January 7. Although the timing is very coincidental, I'm pretty sure that the update had not yet been applied to my phone when I noticed that the problem was gone and I was getting only one push notification per alert (I checked Google Play Store and the Arlo App was not shown in either "Recently updated" or "Updates available").

I have TWO Arlo accounts with cameras at two different locations, and only ONE of the accounts had the issue, even though I have been getting notifications for both accounts on this same Galaxy S8 phone.

Some have speculated a connection with Arlo Smart. I DID have a trial period of Arlo Smart several months ago on the account that had the multiple notification problem, but I ended the trial before beginning a subscription and long before the multiple notification problem began. Still, there may be a connection.

Taken together, I'm pretty sure that at least part of the cause of the issue is unrelated to Verizon, Android, or the Arlo Android App; and may have some relationship to the account itself, possibly to Arlo Smart.

OurHattonHome
Star
Star

ArloAlex, Unless you are trying to fix the problems with the Arlo app I have no idea why you would even want to know all my information, but I am going to provide it just in case you are looking to fix the issues. Please note the following:

1.  App Version is 2.7.0_23403 

2.  System Setup - 1 VMB4000 Base Station, 4 Arlo Pro cameras, and 1 Arlo Pro 2 camera

3.  Affected devices are Samsung Note 8 Android Version 8.0.0 and Motorola Z2 Force Android Version 8.0.0

4.  My Push Notifications come in the form of alpha numeric messages that appear in the alert area of my phone in a format similar to the texts I receive in the messaging app plus a sound in the form of a ding. Since the notifications are alpha-numeric just like texts I called them that. I apologize for calling them texts instead of Push Notifications. Plus I have not activated the email alerts on either device.

I hope that answers your questions. Here is additional information that might be helpful which you did not ask. Both devices use the same login credentials when accessing the app.

Also I have additional information that has fixed the multiple notifications on the Note 8 but not on the Motorola Z2. After the update to the current version I wiped the app data and cache on both phones, then uninstalled the app on each. I then rebooted each phone and reinstalled the app on each. After that the multiple notifications for each alert stopped on the Note 8, but the Motorola is still getting 2 to 3 notifications per alert.

Next I want to make comments about Geofencing. I also tested that mode after the update last week. There is still a problem where it does not recognize when a device leaves the Zone even though now that the notification that Geofencing is Active is a permanent notification on each device, when at home where the Schedule Mode is supposed to be active the schedule does not work (i.e., when the system is supposed to be armed in the schedule that Geofencing is supposed to have active it is disarmed). But when I switch to any other mode the system works correctly by arming and disarming as required. When do you think the programmers are going to get Geofencing finally fixed?

ArloAlex if there is anything else that will help to fix the issues with the app please let me know what I can provide to offer insight on what can be done to fix all the issues.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @OurHattonHome,

Acutally, yes, I do work with our engineering and QA teams on the app. 🙂 Thanks for your detailed responses - this is very helpful in giving more clarity to those teams as we track down the root cause here.

And for geofencing - we're still investigating this one as well. We've rolled out improvements over the past few months for this feature and it seems to have been somewhat successful, but clearly there are still issues. I'll keep feedback like what you've provided in front of our developers.

Thanks for al your help! I may reach out with more questions once the teams look over your feedback.

brettwgreen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has this problem on Samsung Galaxy S7... seems to be fixed in 2.7.0 which came out 01/08/2019.

I assume it was part of that release but can't know for sure because they don't have detailed release notes. Would be nice for someone from Arlo to confirm the problem was fixed in this verison.

If someone from Arlo confirms, I will change my 2 star rating in Play Store to 5 star with a thanks (this problem was _very_ annoying)

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

@brettwgreen , let me circle back with the team. The 5 star would surely be appreciated, but I want to make sure we've properly earned it. 🙂 

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

@brettwgreen Also, can you please confirm the version of Android you are on today? 

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

@jgsouthard Thank you for the additional detail!!

brettwgreen
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's a Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 8.0.0 (Oreo)

Harley85
Aspirant
Aspirant

Today my Arlo started to work correctly.  Only one notification per event.  Hopefully, the ordeal is over.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Harley85 - sorry if you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but you could also provide here the make and model of your phone, the version of Android you're running, confirmation of the version of the Arlo app, as well as your setup? (ie just one Arlo Pro 2 and one Arlo Q and one Arlo Pro, etc)

Thanks!

Mjakaz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am beyond fed up w this... I only have 2 cameras and I'll get 2 notifications per camera at the same time all day. I've tried the fixes as well to no avail. However something very interesting... I uninstalled the app cleaned cache and reinstalled. Now I get 3 notifications per camera. I've spoken to CS and they told me same as everyone else. This has gone on long enough. I thot about uninstalling the app and going online to view cameras but of course that doesnt work so I am forced to use app. I guess of this isnt fixed soon I'll sell the camera system a.d find something else.

I like these cameras and want to keep but these things go off 50 times give or take a day so that x's 3 notifications ea is making me nuts.

I have an s9+ if it matters.

Please fix this arlo!
drewguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agree with these ideas.

Should be settable by controller in the app.  While I doubt many people want the constant notifications, ideally there would be a setting that called for a second notification only after 0, 30, 60, 120, etc. seconds since motion was first detected.

Hopefully video recording would still continue the entire time.

Alfie64
Star
Star

Since one of the last 2 updates, I am now getting duplicate/multiple notifications on my phone. I'm tryign to figure out how to fix.

By this I mean if my car passes by the garage door cam, my phone shows 2 notifications for that event. It happens on all 3 cameras we have.

I've gone into all settings of the camera and the phone and I don't see anything I can change to get this to stop and go back to just having ONE notification.  Last update the Arlo app deleted the notification settings and now you have to manage them via the phones settings only.

Help!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Alfie64

Can you reinstall your Arlo Mobile App & test your notifications again? What version of the App are you currently using?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Force stop your app. Delete the cache and data. Uninstall the app. Turn off the OS backups for all settings (let everything be deleted). Reboot and reinstall the app. Turn backups back on.

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
So here's what I did. I went back to an older version of the Arlo app. The new app is terrible. I then removed the cameras from the base station. Rebooted the base station checked for update and it reinstalled the cameras back to the base station. And I swapped my cameras around just in case. No false notifications ever since. Do not update to the new app.
Mjakaz
Aspirant
Aspirant
You mind showing us where you got the older version and which one u used exactly? I finally shut notifications off all together. Sick of 3 notifications per camera per occurrence. Really sad arlo is doing nothing about this.
Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
okay I've done a little research on my own here and after attempting to do all of the uninstall reinstall deleting backups reinstalling without any app data all of that even trying another method from Arlo which basically means.....

triggering an event, letting it finish recording, uninstalling the app while still armed, triggering another event and then reinstalling and logging in.....which did not work.

I've come to the conclusion that in my case whenever One camera is triggered 2 others begin recording as well. This means I get 9 notifications basically.

I get one notification from the camera that started the event and then two more and then I get another notification from the second camera and the first and the third and then another notification from the third camera for the first and second.

However each notification is named after the original camera that set off the event.

So in my situation camera one is the name of all 9 notifications. If by chance I have that one camera set for motion and audio and then audio trips with motion, I wind up with 12 notifications.

I'm not sure if any of that make sense to anyone but basically I have three cameras that go off at the same time so when one triggers I get three notifications for each camera.

of course that does nothing to alleviate the constant stream of notifications but it does tell me that all cameras are working even if every notification names every notification the same camera.

Crazy.
Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
App version 2.7.2_25500
OnePlus 6T
Android 9
Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
I went back three versions of the app back to the beginning of January and now I'm only getting 2 notifications per camera which is one event on 3 cameras triggering 2 notifications per camera per event. 6 total, all have the same notification name.

So nothing is working.
Cfera1166
Star
Star

I was lucky enough to run across the solution on these forums.. which requires me to keep a global setting turned off that doesn't do me much good for the other 100+ apps on my phone.

Arlo -- I'm sure it's very cheap for you to have the users of your product figure out how to fix software issues with workarounds.. so, bonus points for running a cost efficient business (downside is that people like me will not be buying your next generation products, I'll be looking somewhere else when it comes time to upgrade).

Novel thought for you: instead of letting a SW bug like this stay outstanding for the better part of a year, maybe release a fix for it.

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo wireless and Pro With siren base.
App 2.7.2_25500
I get about 9 notifications for 1 event.
App uninstalled. Reinstalled.
Have triggered event, then uninstalled, then reinstalled and triggered event.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled saved app data, and reinstalled without previous data.
Have reset all cameras and base.
Have reset up all cameras and base.
I reverted to 3 previous app versions but all do the same.
This has been happening for 2 weeks.
Seems to be Arlo system server based, maybe not app, not equipment.