Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Push Notification Is Sending Multiple Ding Sounds After Update

Discussion stats
Davb
Follower
Follower

When motion is detected on one of my 6 cameras the push notification sends me 6 ding sounds vice 1 like it use too. Anyone know why?

146 REPLIES 146
Streak2
Master Master
Master

A long shot but try and restart the router to which the base and Arlo Q are connected.

lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

I also just realized another issue; I changed the notification sound within the app, and when I received the notification (multiple times) it's the phone's default sound, not the sound I just selected. So yeah, somethingn is definetely messed up with the app.  

lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Streak2 wrote:

A long shot but try and restart the router to which the base and Arlo Q are connected.

I will try this tonight and see if it fixes everything. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Not being able to choose the notification sound in the app is a known bug. In android you have to set the sound in the android notifications section.

Settings, notifications, arlo......... choose your sound in there. Ignore the sound section in the arlo app itself.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@pc2k17 has the sound settings fix for Android for sure. App is busted. Use phone settings.

Regarding multiple notifications, here is my story starting quite a while ago:

Arlo app update push from Google. Started getting double notifications. Got irritated, uninstalled app reinstalled. Got three notifications for same event. Screwed around with it including several uninstall and reinstall and got one extra notification for each time I reinstalled. Picked "Silent" to keep from going berzerk, after much gnashing of teeth and playing with things (as extreme as a factory reset - which worked by the way), it became obvious that this started when my phone updated to Oreo and that the Arlo app and Android 8 were not getting along for updates and reinstalls. Though there are many many posts on the sequence one should try to eliminate this problem, when this happened again - and I swore I was not going to factory reset my phone - I tried to insure that when I killed Arlo, I got every vestige of it out of my phone. 

It is essential that Automatic Restore under Google Account on your phone in the (Backup and Restore) section is OFF. Also turn OFF Back Up My Data under Google account just for good measure.

It is essential that then you have cleared both the cache and data in the Arlo app, and you force stop the app. Uninstall the app from the phone not Google Play.

Theoretically the app is gone, the google restore settings are not in play and google will not back up until you are ready to turn that feature back on.

Power cycle your phone for good measure or for an extreme measure, you can do a soft reboot if you care to (phones may vary slightly on technique) with Arlo gone. Doesn't take long.

For another extreme measure (one I take anyway), I do a Samsung account backup with Arlo gone, then restore. This is quick, just a few minutes and nothing is lost.

Some have said they have success with less steps and less hassle, but I had one failure with one shorter version and I am too lazy to figure out why.

Then reinstall which should bring normal operation.

You can turn your stuff back on.

Some overkill above, but why not?

lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just did all the steps (except for the Samsung back up and restore) in the order you presented. Currently waiting for a notification to see if it's fixed. 

lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

still not fixed. but got better lol. Getting 2 alerts instead of 4 per notification now. At least it's a step towards the right direction! Still very annoying and needs to be fixed!

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice

For no reason at all One camera will give me 10 to 11 notifications at about 5 Seconds Apart with each video being 11 seconds long. When I look at each video not a motion or sound. This could happen every hour or every 30 minutes or whenever it wants. It gets annoying hearing my phone beep every 5 seconds and giving me nothing in the videos. This only happens to one camera. Any ideas?

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First, I would remove the camera from its location to eliminate environmental triggers. Put it anywhere that has the least possibility of any heat source variables or variables such as heated dust from a furnace blower starting. If it still continues with the camera relocated, and you have set the sensitivity where you want it (normal 80%), I would reboot the base and uninstall and reinstall the camera battery to reboot it also. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As above, when you remove the camera, you rebuild all the settings for same in the base and camera also gets set to defaults. ( you will have to recreate custom modes for the camera if any )

If all above fails, then your next step would be Arlo support for possible warranty

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Patrick61
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have done every fix that is on this forum and it still gives me 4&5 alerts... This has to be fixed.
lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice
Me too! Nothing works. I'm so annoyed!!!!
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You all have my sympathies. If you have tried more than once with the routines suggested here, what may be going on is that you caught something at a point where timing did not work properly. But if you are going nuts, perhaps the best work around for now is to roll back to the previous app. 

https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=Arlo

Make sure you turn off auto updates at the Play Store.

Arlo app developers do not seem to be on top of mobile OS changes and this has been going on since Android 8.0.0 was rolled out.

lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which version is supposed to not have the multiple alerts? I tried all the versiosn between June and Nov 2018 and still had the same multiple alert issue.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

If you have not already, try and wipe the cacahe partition on your Samsung phone as follows:-

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Hold down these three keys:
    • Volume Up
    • Home
    • Power
  3. When the phone vibrates:
    1. Release the Power key.
    2. Continue to hold down the Volume Up and Home keys.
  4. When the Android system recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
  5. Press the Volume Down key until wipe cache partition is selected.
  6. Press the Power key.
  7. Wait until reboot system now is selected. 
  8. Press the Power key.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Numerous people have posted that the recommended fixes did not work for them. I'm glad they worked for you, but they are not fixing the issue for many of us.

@pc2k17 wrote:

Interesting. I have never seen the uninstall, delete all backups, reinstall not work.

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Streak2 wrote:

Tried that too, didn't help.

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Streak2 wrote:

If you have not already, try and wipe the cacahe partition on your Samsung phone as follows:-

This is the first time I've seen the suggestion to wipe the cache partition using recovery mode, so I gave it a try. Unfortunately, it didn't help either -- still getting four notifications for every event.

By the way, on Galaxy S8 or later you need to use the Bixby button rather than the Home button; i.e. hold down Volume Up and Bixby, then power up using the Power button.

kimike
Tutor
Tutor
I wish someone would get this fixed. I have 4 cameras in range of my driveway and get 16 notifications. Sometimes 32, because no one seems to be concerned about the delay in receiving the notifications either.
All of this coupled with the motion delay on the cameras which renders them useless is forcing me to look elsewhere for security cameras.
Arlo is a great idea but after more than a year of glitch after glitch after glitch I'm thinking they're not worth the aggravation.
I've tried everything in these posts as far as turning everything off, uninstalling, reinstalling over and over.
Very frustrated
jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

I restarted my base station today and started getting only ONE alert per event, for the first time in weeks. I had already restarted the base station before (including a full power down) and it had NOT helped, so I'm not suggesting that restarting the base station is a "fix" for the issue. I also tried all of the other "fixes" that have been mentioned in multiple forum threads, and none of them had worked either (at least not for me, they did for some others).

So while restarting the base station is not a consistent fix for the multiple notification issue, it's at least something to try.

Rellis
Star
Star
I have had multiple notifications since the arlo app was updated on 11/20 (or 11/22). Nothing would fix it, not even factory resetting the phone and reinstalling everything.. Now today it's working correctly., a single tone per notification. I have no idea why.. The Arlo app hasn't been updated nor has Android.
It's a miracle!
I'm on a galaxy s9+ with android 8.0.0.
jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Rellis wrote:
I have had multiple notifications since the arlo app was updated on 11/20 (or 11/22). Nothing would fix it, not even factory resetting the phone and reinstalling everything.. Now today it's working correctly., a single tone per notification. I have no idea why.. The Arlo app hasn't been updated nor has Android.
It's a miracle!
I'm on a galaxy s9+ with android 8.0.0.

My Galaxy S8 dropped from four notifications per event to one today as well. I restarted my base station this morning and thought that might have been a factor (although I had done it before and it didn't help), but maybe it was just a coincidence. Like you, there was no app or Android update.

lakersfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's an after Christmas miracle! After today's update multiple alerts are gone!!!!!! I couldn't be happier! Arlo team please do not mess it up again.
Harley85
Aspirant
Aspirant

My experience with multiple notifications has gone on for several months.  I have tried all of the suggested solutions to no avail.  I find it is irresponsible of Arlo support to allow this go on for this link of time.  I am of the opinion that it is related to the Arlo Smart Premier plan.  I Arlo support is unable to manage something that would appear basic support, I will be forced to chose another option.