Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Base Station keeps resetting itself and going offline intermittently

Sussexdude1
Star
Star

Over the last two days my home station seems to change my time zone at midnight every day, this being a huge pain when scanning back over recordings. I have tried resetting on Arlo web site, iPad and iPhone but midnight strikes time zone changes again. HELP !

1,067 REPLIES 1,067
sfdfg
Star
Star

Here we go again... yesterday my hub dropped offline and remained so until I got home from work and did a hard restart. It came back up but only two of my four cameras came back on line. One had been off anyway as the batteries had gone (legitimately) but the other was a surprise. I'd assumed it was the usual story of the camera wiping out its battery by churning away and trying to reconnect to the absent hub yesterday so I changed the battery in it this morning and headed off to work.

Checking it again from the office, it's still not connecting. I've tried multiple times to restart the hub and no use - it just won't pick up the camera with the new batteries in.

It's getting past a joke. How flaky have these things got in the last couple of months? And still no sign of any resolution or even a proper acknowledgement of the problem from Arlo. Not good enough.

I'd previously recommended Arlo cameras to a colleague and he told me last week he was about to buy them on Prime Day as they were half price. I told him it now wasn't worth the money so he's looking elsewhere.

Brobech-dk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 

After the firmware deployment, my system is stable again and from the deployment until now I have not experienced any downtime. 

I have seen a few issues with playback, but this must be the iPhone app, as the web site works. I presume arlo is looking into that.

Arlo, Thanks for the effort to fix the instability and time zone  issues.. However I find that you really should focus on testing your firmware and server side systems properly, before releasing new updates in general deployment, if you expect arlo products to be relevant as a security control. And please prioritise  on actively communicating with the community. Silence or ignoring users comments and respects it not something that dampens frustrations.

Br Thomas

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The engineering team is investigating these reports and working on a fix. For those experiencing this issue, do you have local storage enabled or disabled?

Toni1946
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't have the problem (it only happened once to me) of my base station going offline unless my internet goes down. The problem I'm having is my cameras aren't picking up all the motion it should be picking up and that's really making me mad! I'm ready to throw my cameras away also....but what else is out there that might work better?

wellfleetion
Apprentice
Apprentice
I would bet you a $100 your system is going offline and that’s why you aren’t getting the expected recordings and you just don’t realize it
Dannybear
Master
Master
My base station will regularly go offline twice a day, usually about the same time. The time zone remains unchanged after it returns.

If I have the backup USB installed the severity of the outage is worse with longer outage times of an hour or longer. Cameras usually require resync after.

If the USB devices are removed the offline duration is much shorter, less than half an hour and cameras return normally.

While the base is offline all recordings are missed to the cloud but they are recorded to the USB if installed.

I can tell if the base station has previously locked up by using the base station restart option on the App, logging out and back in to find that the restart function has not actually restarted the base station. That is, the base is not saying it is busy being offline during the restart process because it has ignored the restart command.

I can prevent the offline events if I power cycle or restart the base station prior to the usual time the outage occur after disabling the USB recording option first. Then re-enabling again after the base has been reset. Doing this process maintains the USB feature while waiting for the arlo fix.

For me a further side effect of the base lockups is that the siren hardware stops working, the App display says it is activated but no noise either manually or by triggered event.
DSRamesh
Tutor
Tutor
I do have a 32GB USB stick installed
oyveyjay
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro base station goes offline between 10 mins to hours before connecting back to the internet.  Only power and camera lights are green, with no light in the middle LED Internet connection status during the outage.  I have tried resetting the modem, changing the LAN wires, and resetting the base station, but the problem still persists.  It is not the modem or ISP, as I have a gig bandwidth and this problem started recently.  Is there an update available to correct this or is this a hardware problem?  I am concerned if the cameras are out temporarily when something occurs, rendering the whole point of a security camera pointless.

Ionela
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hy! For 6 months the Arlo base station and cameras worked ok but suddently the base station appears to be offline. I gave it a restart and a reset. It worked for a few minutes, i was able to register it on the application and to do the setting but a few minutes after that it was offline again. When it appears offline there are no light on, none. Why goes offline like this and why the green light is off even when the base station is connected to the internet and charge. I restarted it many time and is the same every time. Please help!
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you have a USB backup device installed in the base station then try removing it and then power cycle the base again to see if the base returns to normal. You will likely have to resync the camera’s again if they don’t automatically reconnect within 10 minutes.

If the above works then suggest you monitor the base for a day or so before reinstalling the USB backup device. Then if it goes offline again within a day or two then run without the USB backup device until arlo fixes the issue.
Ionela
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a wire connection with the base station. I never used the Usb
Dannybear
Master
Master
Your base station may be faulty so suggest you contact arlo support for advice.

Look to the support link at the bottom of the forum page. Follow the link to obtain additional support from their website.
pgalbavy
Guide
Guide

Based on other comments in this thread I removed all my local storage about a week ago and, not wishing to invite a problem, so far, so good.

I originally had an external USB 1TB HDD drive which was OK for a long time, then I swapped it for a generic (Toshiba branded) 32GB memory stick and this also coincided with the firmware updates that appear to have triggered the problem. I went back to the same HDD as before but problems continued. Now, with no local storage, it feels more stable.

As the USB stick consumes almost no power I am hesitant to consider a USB power draw issue with the original HDD.

Boomrocker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having this problem as well. 

All cameras disconnect, possible when internet drops out, and then nothing reconnects even though I can use the base station over the network when reconnected. (E.g. can perform remove usb device, restart, etc.)

I did a full reset a few days aog and resycned all cameras manually but really dont want to have to do this every couple of days... I also want to make sure thatif I am away from home and the power or internet drops out that everything will reconnect without trouble!!

PrincipalCJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with my base station constantly going offline. Arlo replaced my previous base station with a new one about a month ago and this new base station continues to go offline. Arlo can't seem to fix the issue, so has anyone come up with a solution? There's too much recording being missed during the period the base station is offline.

cjstevens82
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have reviewed numerous threads and YouTube videos and still cannot get my base to reconnect. I have a ring doorbell that is online, so ISP is not the issue. The cameras still activate when motion passes by. I have reset router, changed router, changed Ethernet cables. Any thoughts here? Thank you.
PLR
Aspirant
Aspirant
VMS330S
sosilv
Tutor
Tutor
Hardware VMB3010r2

Was working two days ago and suddenly has been offline since.

I did not do the July 16 Arlo App update so do not have version 2.7.12 installed on my phone...but this should not be the reason why the base station is offline. Is there a way to restart/reset the base station remotely, please? Thanks.
JackVan14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow there are a lot of issues, lately has Arlo addressed any of them directly, is there a fix coming up the pipeline soon. Since yesterday my base and cameras have been going offline and then back on. I can't believe that Arlo is not working on a fix yet.

Has anybody heard directly from Arlo as to when they will have a fix.

Thanks

JackVan14
Aspirant
Aspirant

A lot of people are in the same boat as you and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy fix.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-every-night-changes-time-zone/m-p/1713924/highli...

RaccoonCam
Guide
Guide

I had this issue (changing time zone) and filed a support ticket;  after a while I got a message asking me if I still had the issue.  I didn't, it seemed to have corrected itself without a firmware upgrade or application upgrade (as far as I am aware).  From this I assume the issue was in the Arlo server farm and not on the local devices...

wellfleetion
Apprentice
Apprentice
This has been an issue since the May 25th update. Arlo messed up their system and can’t figure out how to fix it. I returned my Arlo system and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I just others do the same. Netgear is a horrible company and deserves to fail.
JackVan14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone heard from Arlo as to when they will have a fix for this issue

DSRamesh
Tutor
Tutor

Not heard anything and getting tired of rebooting every week and missing key recordings!

- I do have USB stick installed but then one has to take it out and use PC/Laptop to see if it got recorded.

- No way to select recordings from the USB stick using Arlo Client.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@DSRamesh wrote:

- No way to select recordings from the USB stick using Arlo Client.

Promised six months or so ago. No sign so far.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime