Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Long Ethernet cable

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Chev57
Follower
Follower
I’m thinking of buying a arlo pro 2 but want to know can I have about 180 meter Ethernet cable between router and base station as want to put 2 cameras there. I also want to put 2 more cameras where router is but not clear sight between so will I need 2 base stations one at each end with two cameras each. Need to know to make sure I buy what I need. I want arlo pro 2 as heard the best pictures. Cheers for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chev57 wrote:
but want to know can I have about 180 meter Ethernet cable between router and base station

The ethernet spec itself has a max distance of 100 meter.  It's possible you could get away with longer, but you would be well over the spec.

If there's a suitable spot about half-way between, you could put a small ethernet switch there, and split the cable.  It'd need to be protected from weather (and be within the operating temperature range of the switch).  It would also need power.

If the power to the remote base station is also using the main power for the house, then you could alternatively try powerline technology.   This extends ethernet by running a data link over your power wires, and has a max distance spec of 300m.   Powerline technology is a bit hit-or-miss - it depends on the details of the wiring and the circuit load.  I'd suggest trying something that is Homeplug AV2 compliant.  For example, the Netgear PLP2000.  

The base station is intended for use indoors, so you might run into issues if you are putting it in a space that doesn't stay within it's operating temperature or humidity range.

makokak
Aspirant
Aspirant

Or if u really need to have a long ethernet cable put a switch before 100 meters mark and your good for another 100 meter.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@makokak wrote:

Or if u really need to have a long ethernet cable put a switch before 100 meters mark and your good for another 100 meter.

Yes, that was my first option above.  Of course that assumes the switch is protected from weather and that there is power at the midpoint.

There is another possibility - using something like this: https://www.ui.com/airmax/litebeam-ac-gen2/

But that does need line-of-sight, and the poster said he didn't have that.

makokak
Aspirant
Aspirant

now your entering into a new teritory. BTW thats my initial plan but with all the equipment that i need it will be way too costly. for now our arlo pro 2 satisfy our needs

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation