Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Regarlo
Initiate
Initiate

About 1/3 of the recordings Play for about 10 seconds and then the video freezes but the audio keeps playing. I have tried downloading the recording but the saved file is no different. I have two arlo pro 2 cameras both having the same problem. They are both hard wired. I use the arlo app on an iPhone8. The audio does not seem to be in sink with the picture either.
Not what you would expect for the price you pay for them.

338 REPLIES 338
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had an experimental firmware sent to my VMB4000 Base Station aimed at fixing this problem with AC powered Pro 2’s.... looks like it went on last night.

Hoping this is the fix we’ve all been waiting for!
Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
How did you find this out?
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fingers crossed!  Can you tell us the new firmware version so we can watch for it?

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don’t know that this will be the “final” release or not so for now just hang tight while I test this out and attempt to create the issue on my Pro 2 cameras later today, which we all know is easy to do!

So far this morning - no disappearing images on my front yard camera. First time that’s been the case since this thread was started in the AM hours (for some reason it always happened more often in the AM hours of the day for me).

Hang tight, looks promising so far.
Kktracy3
Apprentice
Apprentice
OMG is Christmas coming early? Keep us posted...
Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fingers crossed on this one, and if it is a fix please arlo leave the thing alone.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary
Looking at the recorded videos from this afternoon, they look pretty good.
Anyone else?
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

To my embarrassment, months ago I had recommend Arlo to a friend. She purchased a set of Arlo Pro 2 cameras and the VMB4000 Base Stations.

Today she was alerted by an Arlo cameras. When she viewed the recording she observed someone had walked up the the front screen door of her home, this was recorded, but after about 15 seconds the person suddenly vanished from view - all while the recording continued and she could hear him apparently opening her screen door. She was pretty concerned - I told her that was the recent norm for Arlo.

So, if Arlo is working to 'unfix' whatever they broke, Arlo Technologies has yet to have solved it for all.

M

mchromiec
Guide
Guide

I still get pixelation and low quality on my cameras, as well the recording times still fluctuate. All my cameras are set to record for 2min, as you can see they do whatever they feel like.

Screenshot_20191218-085156_Arlo.jpg

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
What is your firmware version number after the update?
mchromiec
Guide
Guide

I'm on 2.12.0_26090 released 12/13/19

Not sure if this is the same as Mjbeuke is talking about.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I spoke too soon. 😫

I watched a couple more recorded videos, and it is still doing the same crap.  (pixelating, the blurry images, fuzzy faces, etc.)

I still am hoping that we will receive good news soon (that it's all been corrected to the way it used to be)

mmuy888
Guide
Guide

I have the 10 sec or less video then only the audio being recorded, we should tweet this to the CEO like the ultra users and the ceo acknowledge the problem and let his engineers work on the fix immediately . @mbmcrae - arlo CEO

Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have tweeted the ceo a few times and just get shoved over to ask arlo community. Maybe if everyone gave it a go they may listen.

mmuy888
Guide
Guide

He replied to my tweet. He said hes looking into it. Hopefully it gets resolved soon. All arlo pro 2 user you should tweet your problem so that they will prioritize our problem too

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team has a fix currently being tested that resolves this issue. I will provide another update soon once this fix is ready to be released.

We appreciate your patience while we work to release this fix.

JamesC

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC,

Thanks for the update.

We look forward to it.

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

While we await the real fix, I too have found that the suggestion (originally by @Kktracy3 , I believe) of power cycling the base every six hours via a timer has eliminated the frozen video problem.  I still get random truncated videos, pixelation around 12 seconds into the recording, audio/video sync issues, but it is at least better.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I have tried that method (using a timer to reboot the base station twice a day) it does not make that much of a difference.

At first I thought it did, but as I compared recorded video clips. It's still doing the crap that it did before. (freezing, pixelating, blurry images, etc.)  

I'm just waiting for a permanent fix.  I think I'll give it a few more weeks. If still not corrected, I may be shopping for a different brand.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

We installed the Arlo in my mother's apartment and we have it off at certain times of the day. I assumed when the alarm is off both base station and cameras are turned off. However I looked for the first time and found that the cameras stay on when base station is off and disarmed. Is this the way it's supposed to work? I know cameras are on since I can get a live view. We'd prefer everything off.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

These numerous problems have been going on way too long. My sense is that Arlo Technologies, Inc. 'tech support' has been negligent for too long. They waste our time, asking us to jump through hoops and trying to get us to check this and that on our end when these problems originate at Arlo - their software people broke my systems (Geofencing, video freezing, browsers not working to access the cameras owing to Flash problems, etc.).

Another example of what (at least) several models of Arlo cameras are doing; the video linked from YouTube below is an example. A delivery van shows up resulting in the Arlo Pro 2 camera (on AC power) commencing to record. About 15 seconds into the recording the video freezes and the van appears stopped, all while the audio continues to record the sound of the van moving away.

Since they first came out I have deployed Arlo, Arlo Q, and Arlo Pro 2 cameras, and while at times service was not fully uneventful the hardware mostly worked, and worked well - at least until 2018. I cannot justify investing in any new Arlo gear as this unreliability now is beyond frustrating, while experiences with their "Customer Service" (numerous posts about that) are horrific. All this while Arlo Technologies, Inc. management gives no explanations or apologies for their software development people having broken what formerly worked over the recent many months.

M

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@improve58 wrote:

However I looked for the first time and found that the cameras stay on when base station is off and disarmed. Is this the way it's supposed to work? 

Yes it is.  Though the cameras won't stream when motion is detected (or when you live stream), so they won't use much power.

Of course the base (and cameras) can't be completely off - otherwise you couldn't turn them back on again remotely.

MTP60
Guide
Guide
I have the same issues With all 4 pro2 cameras and I also have the ultra base with one ultra camera and it never has this issue.
Please fix this!
Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m not holding my breath for a fix, arlo tech move the same speed as a glacier.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

Weird, my friend bought a new Arlo Pro 2 system a few months ago for a remote home, some states away.

Today she observed yet another recording where someone came to the front door - and again the image video frame froze at, while audio continues to record. VERY UNSETTLING FOR WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SECURITY SYSTEM.

Yesterday I visited COSTCO; I noted their store no longer shows any Arlo products. Best Buy's Arlo section is getting smaller, while the space dedicated to other camera systems is growing. My sense is Arlo Technologies, Inc. is destroying it's products appeal - no amount of short-sighted praise from hardware reviews can offset high return rates and customer complaints.

I hope Arlo management gets the message and turns things around as I would not want to have to replace my 20-ish cameras and several base stations - starting over with some other brand. Besides, some aspects of the Arlo are truly attractive (but only when they work, and are backed by competent Customer Service).