Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JRD761
Tutor
Tutor

I'm trying to link my Google Home Assistant devices (Chromecast and Google Home Hub) to my 3 Arlo cameras. I was able to link my Arlo Account in the Google Home app, and the camera names show, but when you attempt to open a camera it says "Not Responding".
I've tried unlinking and relinking my Arlo Account multiple times and it still will not work.
Why won't this work?

310 REPLIES 310
Jshoe
Apprentice
Apprentice
I cannot view ANY of my cameras on my Google Home app or Lenovo Smart display... This is supposed to be supported. I pay over $300 a year to Netgear for services. It seems as though they aren't listening to anyone. The only other alternative I can see since they won't work with Google to fix the issue is a class action lawsuit. I think there are enough of us if we seek out others with the same issue. I'm willing to file the paperwork and be the administrator of the suit. I've had enough of Arlo's subpar support.

Is there a fix for this or is class action the only way?
robbp12
Initiate
Initiate

Still not working for me either.

Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
When i contacted support they basically said they wouldn’t do anything about it unless enough people complained.
Jakehann
Tutor
Tutor
So who should we all contact to complain? Is there an e-mail that they actually check?
Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

I’ve contacted them by phone and by chat.
Jakehann
Tutor
Tutor

"I consulted the team and I am sorry to inform you that there is no information yet if the VMC3030 cameras will be supported for Google Home. If ever these cameras become supported, it will be announced in our official website."

They suggested posting the idea here:
https://community.arlo.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/arlo-idea-exchange

I was already disappointed in the Arlo cameras but now they are basically worthless to me.  Are there better alternatives out there that people can suggest?  I have heard that Wyze is launching Google Home functionality very soon and they are much cheaper than the Arlo cameras.

Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
They advertise it as working with google assistant and google chromecast (which means it should work with the google smart display). It works with neither.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/google-assistant/
djg41882
Guide
Guide

Yes, once again I'll say it. Arlo cameras are really an overpriced POS! I have four of the originals and my Wyze cameras are way better for an incredibly low price. Only drawback with Wyze originals is not battery operated and not for the outdoors but that will soon be addressed. Sorry I ever spent well over $500 on Arlo in the first place.

Jshoe
Apprentice
Apprentice
I understand... I'm into this system for well over $1000. I have around 8 cameras, including 2 Arlo Q's. Plus I have been paying $300 a year. I'm not happy. One of the Arlo Q's has 24/7 CVR and when I switched it with the new replacement Arlo sent all the previous video was gone. They failed to mention that I would lose all video qhen I spoke to them on the phone... It's about time they wake up.
Jshoe
Apprentice
Apprentice
I unlinked my Arlo account from Google and relinked... Arlo Q's started working on Google device... Kind of.... very slow.... my original arlo cameras still dont work... says feed unavailable.... I turned one base off and it says the camera is off... so it does recognize it is on at least but when can we actually see them on our Google devices? False advertisement is an actual crime...
Jshoe
Apprentice
Apprentice
Then why do they advertise they are compatible?
Jakehann
Tutor
Tutor
I think they overpromised and underdelivered. And now they are focusing on making new cameras and not supporting their older cameras in the hope that we will upgrade. But if I’m going to upgrade, it won’t be another Arlo camera.
Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey guys, 
So i think i finally got it working, thanks to comeone on reddit. 

So i unlinked arlo from within the google home app. I then reset my google home hub. I then re-added arlo from within the google home app. 

So far it has been working. I’m able to stream it to the hub without it freezing. I’ll try chromecast next. 

I wish arlo would have suggested this during one of the 4 times i contacted them about it.
Jakehann
Tutor
Tutor
I just tried this and it didn’t work. I still get “failed to load stream”

Which cameras do you have? And can you link me to the reddit thread? Thanks!
Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
R1csm1th
Tutor
Tutor
I used to be able to say ‘ok google, stream front door camera to sony’ and it used to stream to my sony android TV.

More recently this has stopped working and says ‘I’m afraid I can’t play the stream...’ on the google assistant app, or ‘sorry I can’t play the stream’ on google home.

I’ve tried unlinking and linking my Arlo account to google home but it’s still not working. Is anyone else experiencing this issue / know how to fix it?
R1csm1th
Tutor
Tutor
I used to be able to say ‘ok google, stream front door camera to sony’ and it used to stream to my sony android TV.

More recently this has stopped working and says ‘I’m afraid I can’t play the stream...’ on the google assistant app, or ‘sorry I can’t play the stream’ on google home.

I’ve tried unlinking and linking my Arlo account to google home but it’s still not working. Is anyone else experiencing this issue / know how to fix it?
Alfie64
Star
Star

This has been an issue for months. I've complained numerous times here and to Arlo support and all they keep saying is "they are aware of the issue" and they've said the same canned answer for 2-3 months now.

My Arlo Pro used to stream perfectly to my Chromecast then then Arlo did some kind of update that broke it all and to this day it doesn't work at all now.  Arlo has been useless as far as trying to help us out. They just seem to ignore the issue now. No rep posts here to give us any feedback. They have remained silent pretty much.

Sucks they dropped the ball and won't make any attempt to fix it.

Kempo1981
Aspirant
Aspirant
Fix is in google home. Go to settings / name of your room where Arlo device is / choose devices / ensure the device you want to view on is selected
Drache22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry, that might work for some, but not for my setup. I've gone through the process of unlinking Arlo, relinking Arlo, and assigning the cameras to individual rooms 6 or 7 times (and yes, the procedure you mentioned does show the right camera in the right room). But the stream always stops after a couple of seconds. This same failure also occurs when asking Google Assistant on my tablet or phone to stream Arlo cameras to my TV via Chromecast. However, the cameras stream just fine when I ask my Echo speaker to show the cameras on my TV via Fire TV.
BriscMoy
Star
Star

Exact same scenario for me, streams for a few seconds, stops, starts again and then may hang.... I have Arlo Pro 2 and followed new setup by assigning camera to same room as display.

Alfie64
Star
Star

None of these "fixes" work for me.

It's now at the point that when I go onto my Google Assitant it shows Arlo as "Linked" there is now a "Send to device" drop down option that just shows my Google Home or the Google Mini. No Chromecast or any other devices in my "Main Home"

When I go into Google Home it shows all the devices we have in our "sub rooms", meaning we have a smart TV and mini in my sons room. It shows the LG washer in the "Laundry" room. it shows the Roku TV, Wemo, Chromecast 4k and Google Home in our "living room" and then mini in our "master bedroom".

There are NO Arlo cameras listed or shown at all in any of these rooms. I've tried a million times to "add device" and click on the "Arlo" icon on the set-up a device page and it takes me to the "permissions" pages to agree to (which I do) and when I finish it gives me the usual error of "can't update setting".

So I can't do any of the above troubleshooting because the Arlo cameras don't show up ANYWHERE within the "Google Home" app.

I did try to ask Google to show "front door" on Chromecast 4K and shockingly she said "ok, showing front door on Roku". But nothing is showing on the Roku TV and for that matter, I don't even know what input it would show up on.

I can't believe how bad Arlo messed up the once easy process of watching my cameras on my Chromecast. It used to work perfectly. Now, nothing works at all. All I can do is watch my cameras on my phone.

UGH!!

Smigit
Initiate
Initiate

Got the baby cam today and same issues as others. We're a hybrid Apple/Google house in many ways. We use iPhones and Apple TV but have a Google Home Hub and a few Google Home Minis about. The difference between the Apple Home integration and Google Home is night and day. Apple lags by about 1 second but is otherwise reliable both to an iPhone or the Apple TV App. The Home Hub only intermittently connects, has a 20+ second delay and drops out all the time.

Can't say with any absolute certainty but it certainly feels to me as though the Apple gear is going over the local network and Google Home devices are getting an online stream. Not sure if that's actually the case but it's definetly how it feels and might explain some of the connection issues and the 20 second delay I'm seeing if the feeds doing a global round robbin including processing on a remote server. Even my iPhone . over 4G isn't as bad as the Home Hub mind you so maybe thats not it.

Anyway, the Home Hub feeds basically useless for the Baby Cam for use at home so we'll be reliant on the Apple devices for feeds. Fortunatly thats our main use case but it would have been nice to have been able to use the Home Hub as well. I imagine this would stop us getting Arlo for other cameras but such as security or the new video door bell+cam that popped up in the press in the past 24 hours. 

Anthvj
Initiate
Initiate

I too got the baby monitor and can confirm th difference between google integration and apple home kit is like night and day. 

Google Home - can add, setup room but get “not responding”

Apple Homekit - added, works almost instantly 

Returned arlo pro 2 setup and got a nest.

keeping the arlo baby.

Machinist125
Aspirant
Aspirant
As someone mentioned before I asked my Google home unit to sync all my devices. Now I can see my cameras on my phone.