Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have a problem integrating Smartthings and Arlo. I took a screen recording to show the problem: http://youtu.be/WscnGEcJos4. The biggest problem is that now Smarthings is not receiving information from the motion sensor in Arlo cameras and my automation no longer works.
8112EC25-8801-41AC-9AE7-4084E6E677AE.png
Best answers
  • Arlbroke
    Guide
    Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The issue with the Arlo SmartThings integration and not receiving alerts should now be resolved. You do not need to relink your devices, you should now be receiving your automation alerts.

464 REPLIES 464
70sMuscle
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not a programmer either.  Has anyone considered not linking Arlo to ST and installing a standalone Z-wave based motion sensor in the same area as the camera to handle ST automation?  Leave the video to Arlo, if that's all it is capable of.

Tseyvar
Star
Star
Only problem with that is then I would be adding quite a few motion detectors to do what the cameras that I bought, for the main reason is smartthings integration,used to do. Between 11 cameras (pro 2) and 7 lights (the lights used to send motion events too), that makes for a lot of extra motion sensors needed now.
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes motion sensors would work (as a work around and to replace what cameras are supposed to do via proper integration) but would be a very costly and overly redundant functional coverage. Arlo should just get this fixed AND NOT keep leaving it to substandard techs, processes or grossly long timelines.
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well oddly enough an Arlo app update for Android came through last night but did not fix this issue. A smartthings update also came through on Sunday and no resolution from that side either.
Googy
Aspirant
Aspirant
So this problem was created by Arlo around Dec 22 2022 via software “update”. Some 7000 viewers are experiencing and searching the same problem. It is now mid March and it’s not fixed despite at least three messages from Arlo support (Jan Feb and now March) saying that the problem is fixed followed immediately by the problem is again not fixed. 90 days is too long. I am forced to seek another camera system despite my years long previously good experience with Arlo. The mfr ruined a good product with software. SMH.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
The only motion sensor I'm aware of that's rated for use outdoors is made by Zooz. I have one. It controls my front porch light. In the summer, it can sense motion 50-60ft. In the winter, that drops to around 15-20. I don't know if the range is affected by the cold, humidity, or both. And it took me awhile to get it working right. As I recall, there were several tweaks that had to be made.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
Uh, no. I first reported the problem around 11/26/21 (close to Thanksgiving). Arlo didn't seem to take it seriously until around 12/5/21, when I'd exhausted all of the initial Arlo Support attempts. And sometime in mid-December (I think), when an Arlo Support person mentioned to me that it was an issue with their SmartThings integration.
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
I do use IRIS 3326l motion sensors outside with great luck but none are exposed to rain which I think would be the issue. In any case, as stated before, to have to use motion sensors as seperate hardware versus Arlo camera functionality would certainly cement a HUGE failure on the part of Arlo and SmartThings as an integrated system as they were marketed, purchased, and previously operated as such. I hope that Arlo takes these comments for what they are worth which is far more than just this technical issue itself. They represent an opportunity to identify the failure of their canned tech support reps, a failure to QA their program changes and finally ineffective technical and timely resolution. You had a break through product that still has some unique benefits but you are losing the race and the support in this market. Nothing and I mean nothing is more frustrating than the polite incompetence of your tech support who answer your phones with overly polite dismissal and stated promises but zero help, the unwillingness to test before deploy and finally the promise of resolution that never comes. This is not being mean, this is hoping there is someone out there who can make a difference.
Millsjq
Star
Star

Received this evening, posting for those who may not have gotten.

“We apologize for the inconvenience. Please be informed that engineering is working on the fast track release for the fix. It was supposed to be released last week but it was rolled back due to some issues.

It would be released within the week but we are waiting to hear more from engineering and will provide an update.”

Tseyvar
Star
Star
What's odd is that tonight as I was walking to my garage, I noticed my automations dealing with my Arlo cameras just happened to be working. All my lights cut on as I walked through my back yard. Actually surprised me because I have gotten used to being in the dark walking to my garage.
Etchay
Guide
Guide
Ditto... motion detection integration with SmartThings started working again around 10pm Pacific Time. Hopefully this fix will last a bit longer then the previous two fixes.
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
My Arlos cameras are transmitting motion again to SmartThings again in IL sometime after midnight today. I am thinking 4his is temporary as I did not get an update and the promise has been it would be fixed with an update. Not holding hope at this point.
LivesInThought
Guide
Guide
It's working for me now as well. Let's hope this is the last fix.
paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still no motion or battery updates for any of my Arlo cameras in SmartThings.

RyanEnscoe
Tutor
Tutor
I got an email from Arlo stating there was a fix released today to fix the ST integration. I seen a few people post that it was working. I cleared the Arlo app data and cashe, removed the app, rebooted the phone, reinstalled, allowed all permissions, logged in, ensured all cameras were online and connect. Linked ST with Arlo and IT STILL ISNT WORKING 100% I am beyond angry and frustrated.. This is BS
Smedberg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Works for me now, I had to remove and reconnect Arlo

Bill_Pom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Day 2: Still working this morning. No resets or re-links and or re-anything. Just working as it did for years. Here's hoping it continues!

LivesInThought
Guide
Guide
Same here. Day 2: The motion section is triggering my Huge lights without any changes on my part.
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
On day 2 noticing that some BUT NOT ALL motions captured by Arlo app are getting transmitted to SmartThings. So definitely not fixed.
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
REALLY wish that Arlo would be transparent with this instead of blowing smoke up end users rear ends. Honesty and accountability Arlo, that is all people ask for....
Tseyvar
Star
Star
The first time it was "fixed" the other day I had to remove Arlo from smartthings and delete all of the phantom devices from the smartthings IDE then add Arlo back. This last time I didn't have to do anything.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had that same issue back in December, except I didn't have any phantom cameras. When Arlo announced their initial "fix", motion started working, all by itself, without me having to do anything. They've turned it on & off several times now, as they fix the integration. This is day-3 now, and it's still working.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
I completely agree, and I've said so!
Wilburdoo
Guide
Guide
At this point. I want it to work for a month straight before putting any automations back into play...
Arlbroke
Guide
Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.