Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SmartThings integration failing (motion events)

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have a problem integrating Smartthings and Arlo. I took a screen recording to show the problem: http://youtu.be/WscnGEcJos4. The biggest problem is that now Smarthings is not receiving information from the motion sensor in Arlo cameras and my automation no longer works.
8112EC25-8801-41AC-9AE7-4084E6E677AE.png
Best answers
  • Arlbroke
    Guide
    Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The issue with the Arlo SmartThings integration and not receiving alerts should now be resolved. You do not need to relink your devices, you should now be receiving your automation alerts.

464 REPLIES 464
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
Worked last night and then broken again today.....
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
It is not fixed. Worked last night but then stopped again today.
SmartSelect_20220311-064326_SmartThings.jpg
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
Look at the screenshot below from this am and my other post from last night. Smarthings sees and registers motion at Arlo camera last night but then broke again this AM. Ring cameras and doorbell NEVER fai like this. Perhaps time to switch to RING in order to get something that works and doesn't break, fix, break ,fix all the time. Sad Arlo, sad.
mwf369
Guide
Guide

On my 5-camera setup, I can confirm Arlo-SmartThings integration was working 3/9 and 3/10, now NOT working again on 3/11.

Tseyvar
Star
Star
All 11 of my cameras and 7 lights quit sending motion notifications to Smartthings also.

Worked good for a day.
Millsjq
Star
Star
The only thing worse than a security camera that doesn’t work is one that works intermittently! Totally unacceptable.
Arlbroke
Guide
Guide

Mine worked last night and this morning not working.  How hard can this be to fix.  This has been going on now for about 3 1/2 months.

Etchay
Guide
Guide
Ditto here... no longer getting motion events in the SmartThings app. Hard to believe this issue can persist for this many months. Sheesh!
arlomike
Star
Star

Sigh.. Worked for a day after the initial post tat it was fixed. No longer working as others have reported. Yall do QA on your so called fixes? 

Tseyvar
Star
Star
What makes it worse is that you have to remove everything from smartthings, delete the phantom devices, re add the devices to make them work again. And if you use webcore, you have to re add Arlo to webcore, then go through each piston and re add your devices there too
ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Please Arlo hire a tech department that knows what they are doing. Your production environment IS NOT TO BE USED FOR TESTING. Your brand has become a joke! Your fixes are a let’s try it as you break 5 more things AND still don’t fix the original problem. My 5 year old son has better luck programming his robotics without assistance from me. A network engineer that has rolled out hundreds of updates over thousands of systems in the past 20 years. One time was there a problem, guess what rolled back the change. Problem fixed, code fixed within a week in a QA lab. Not that hard to do with the money you have charged for every piece of equipment. But I guess your bonuses & profit margins matter more than quality products.
BxBillBx
Star
Star
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

Jeremy_Alejandr
Star
Star
I have been ver patient with but this is now beyond ridiculous... Now, on top of the integration not working, even the motion detection on my baby cam is not working properly and not recording consistently on arlo itself.

Do any of you know any youtube tech reviewer, time to expose this joke. Also , if could we all leave comments / rating on playstore just to warn people about this joke of a company.
Millsjq
Star
Star

we should not have to tell Arlo their automations is not working. They should be monitoring the transactions and know an average number of motion events that are sent to ST every hour or 10 min or other period of time. Then if the number falls below the lower limit - 1 or -2 sigma they should know that there is a likely failure to investigate.  A script could be written in short order that would do the monitoring and send a message to the development team of the issue.  Then the fix should be developed verified in their dev instance,  then subsequently verified in their QA and finally in test environment before put in production.   This is basic IT development and maintenance procedure that should only take a day or two end to end.   I had assumed that Arlo would have a competent team and it was just our issue was not given priority, but history is proving my assumption incorrect. 

Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
The worst part of it is their incompetent customer service. I for one pay 14.99 per month for not only 4k video but support. The so called technicians that answer the phone are glorified phone attendants and not ANY kind of support. They blabber but never resolve anything. I think Arlo is on its way out to be honest, cant keep up with the competition. Too bad because their cameras are good, it's just this aspect of the company which is so mismanaged and shotty it's not even comprehensible. I will be sorry to see them go but it will not be by a cident when it happens. I truly wish it was otherwise.
Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice
Does anyone know of another brand of wireless that works as well and integrates into smartthings. I am not much of a programmer so ned a one stop shop like smartthings to get automations to be useful and meaningful for a smart home. My ring doorbell certainly works flawlessly and integrates without issue. I tried their wireless cameras and just no where near the caliber of an ultra or ultra 2. That having been said, if they keep breaking automations AND I have to keep talking to people who don't know squat, it's gonna be a balance of pluses with Ring over minuses.
LivesInThought
Guide
Guide
Mbengson
Star
Star
This has been going on for three months. We need it to be fixed.
Millsjq
Star
Star

To add insult to injury, I received this from Arlo at 3:47 this morning, proving they are truely clueless and left had does not know what the right is doing.  

…………………….

Last Update:

Hello Jack,

Good Day! 

This is a follow-up regarding your Arlo support case number: 42869908

We hope you are doing well. We wanted to reach out on behalf of the team and update you on the status of your case about the Smarthings behavior. We received an update from the team and confirmed that Smarthings should now be up and running. 

Let's observe the Smarthings behavior and kindly let us know what is your observation. 

If you have other questions, you can also contact us at:

We appreciate your continued patience and cooperation. 

Have a nice day! Take care! 

Kind Regards,

Alfred 

Arlo Support

JSPNorge
Initiate
Initiate

Still not working on my wireless doorbell camera. Was any firmware upgrade released?

JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, they did promise a fix by early this week. I guess that counts! 😉

I'm not holding my breath, though. They've name that exact same promise, what, 5 times now?
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
And who's Jack?

My biggest complaint regarding Arlo Support is that they tend to treat their paying customers like children. I'm not talking about politeness or courtesy; I'm talking about information dissemination. They never give us technical details, as if we wouldn't or couldn't know what to do with it. As someone with a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, I find their treatment both insulting and condescending. This may not be their intention, but it most certainly is the result. And I don't blame the individual support personnel, either; they are doing as they've been trained. I blame Arlo's poor management for this!
Millsjq
Star
Star

I am Jack, the email was addressed to me in response to my November trouble ticket.  I agree on the lack of communication and talking down to the community.  I am a former IT Program Manager that transitioned to a CIO of a large organization, I am appalled by this entire situation.

BxBillBx
Star
Star
For the question on firmware...
As of this response no firmware has been issued to my base station or cameras. Still running the same. Although I cannot confirm the date of the firmware because they don't give that info in the device settings.
I've been paying attention to this since the beginning but also believe it has nothing to do with the firmware.