Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2, HomeKit setup issues

Holford
Follower
Follower

Brand new Arlo Pro 2 & base-station cannot connect to / discover HomeKit, out of the box.

I've been through phone-support twice since receiving my Arlo Pro 2 cameras on Thursday night, but am hoping I can expedite the solution as I'm now waiting for a Tier 2 support person to call me back as none were available tonight...

How the issue manifests:

After setting-up both Arlo Pro 2 cameras & Hub (VMB4500r2) via the Arlo app on my iPhone, I went to setup the HomeKit integration via the Hub's settings. However, I perpetually see the 'Discovering your device. Please wait.' screen instead.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• Reboot Arlo Hub (via app & power-cycle)
  • Reboot Arlo Pro 2 cameras (via app & power-cycle)
  • Reboot home WiFi (via management app & power-cycle)
  • Soft-reset iPhone
  • Uninstall & re-install Arlo app
  • Use second iOS device (iPad Pro)
  • Restart Apple HomeKit Home Hubs (Apple TV, iPad Pro, and HomePod)
  • Confirm all Apple hardware is up-to-date with software
  • Confirm all Arlo hardware is up-to-date with software & firmware
  • Confirm all devices are on same WiFi network
  • Confirm all existing (25+) HomeKit devices are connected & responding
  • Place cameras, Hub, and iPhone within inches of each other
  • Leave iPhone on above 'Discovering your device...' screen for 30-45 minutes

Arlo support experience:

I've been on two different phone calls with Arlo support, which (to be honest) has not been fantastic. I've spent about 90mins on the phone on two different days, and spent about 50-60mins of that on hold. I've repeated all the steps numerous times, and the very first email follow-up I've received just tells me to follow the KB article on how to set-up HomeKit... 

I'm now waiting for a Tier 2 support engineer to call me back 'within a few days' as none were apparently available tonight.

I've done plenty of my own research both here, as well as on the /r/arlo subreddit, and it does appear this is a known issue with a number of Arlo Pro 2 kits, wherein the Hub needs a new Apple HomeKit Certificate issued remotely, with many saying they can have this resolved once this is confirmed within 20mins.

I'm hoping that someone (perhaps the fabled JamesC of this support forum) can help me in resolving this...

Many thanks for any help you wonderful people can give!

405 REPLIES 405
Rendc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

could I get a token reset as well please?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rendc,

I've sent a token reset request to your base station that should resolve the issue. Please reboot your base station (remove and reapply power) allow the base station to come back online and try setting up HomeKit again using these instructions: How do I connect my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

JamesC

aberthil
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can you please send me one too?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

aberthil,

I've sent a token reset request to your base station that should resolve the issue. Please reboot your base station (remove and reapply power) allow the base station to come back online and try setting up HomeKit again using these instructions: How do I connect my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

JamesC

AlkalineBugCrow
Aspirant
Aspirant

Could i please request a reset token as well, thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AlkalineBugCrow,

JamesC

adityakoundinya
Tutor
Tutor

Hey James, 

Can I get a token reset too? 

betluc_62
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi JamesC,

Could you please reset my token as well?
It’s an VMB4000r3 base.

Thanks in advance.
Chrisk2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have r4 of the ultra.  Ultra and Apple TV both are on most recent software and have been rebooted.

when I go to the device and select HomeKit SetUp (not the location in help article) the message discovering and hold close to camera appears and no devices show up.

not sure why the location of camera to iPad would matter given try are connected to the Arlo WiFi network.

How do you get the arlo to sync available cameras 5 in my case with HomeKit aka Apple TV?

NRRohde
Aspirant
Aspirant
When attempting to do the HomeKit setup with my base station, it only will say “Discovering your device. Please wait.” I’ve tried trouble shooting by power cycling the base and my phone, checking all software versions, etc etc. can I please get the token reset request as others have received to fix this issue?!?
Tobyv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I have this same issue. Can I please get a token reset?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AlkalineBugCrow, adityakoundinya, betluc_62, Chrisk2, NRRohde, Tobyv

JamesC

NADight
Aspirant
Aspirant

James

And yet another token reset request please, to my VMB5000r4

SN is 5GP18C7CA1724

Thank you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NADight,

JamesC

Diegoq26
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James C,

Can I please also get a token reset? I’m experiencing the same issue. Thanks!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Diegoq26,

JamesC

Atjones0626
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi I bought my Arlo pro 2 yesterday and after all the troubleshooting tips I can't get it to connect to my phone. Please send a token reset. Thanks
rifflekb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having same issue with Homekit. It was working fine and now "Discovering your device." Please reset token.

Listad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem and tried the steps mentioned in the first post too. This is what finally worked, with a caveat:

1. Remove base station from Arlo account (via app, but this may not matter)
  2. Add base station to Arlo account (I had to configure it again)
  3. Setup Homekit from App (now it worked)

Caveat:

My basic free subscription is gone and I have no cloud recording anymore. I cannot add it myself again and have contacted the Arlo support to help restore it, but I do not yet know the result.

I hope this helps.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rifflekb,

JamesC

JLinden
Aspirant
Aspirant
Atjones0626
Aspirant
Aspirant
James C what about me? Please see my plea above.
Bjq4132
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bjq4132,

JamesC

JLinden
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi again James, just a friendly ping to remind about my request above.

Thanks!