Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Ziguy
Star
Star

Just bought an Arlo Baby model:ABC1000, one of the main reasons was to integrate with my Google assistant.
Confirgured fine with the Arlo app, have this 2s delay with is acceptable for a wireless steaming camera, was able to integrate with Apple HomeKit, just to play and see how would work, everything is fine, even better audio quality (no tons of background/wite noise) and less delay, about 1s, then the arlo app. Big win for Apple software.
Now when if comes to Google environment, integrated ok but when casting to Google Hub or Chromecast on the TV have a 22s delay with the streaming witch is totaly unreliable for the use of this camera with Google assistant.
My wifi network is fine, not overloaded, AC router, 5hgz with band, good signal (not a big house) and worked fine with Arlo app and Apple homekit, this exclude the possibility of bad wifi set up. Have no problem streaming Netflix, music of other contant in my google assistant environment. Firmware is updated by the lastest release from Arlo app.
A 22s delay in a camera that supposed to help you take care of a baby is not a oppition. 
Any sugestions on how can I make it work? or if it does work at all?

82 REPLIES 82
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue where some users are seeing a delay on live stream using the Google Assistant. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community. We appreciate your patience and understand and apologize for any inconvenience.

dgastright
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the update.  I don't mind a newish product going through growing pains, but I was starting to become concerned with the lack of response/updates in the other thread (e.g., the 10+ page thread with title "Not Responding" message from Google Assistant"), especially with it being recently closed "due to inactivity" after a flurry of posts earlier this week.

As long as the platform is still moving forward and has plans for improvement, I am fine waiting a bit.

JDNARLO
Initiate
Initiate

Experiencing the exact same issue. They simply shouldn't advertize google assitant / home / nest functionality as it's useless with the Alro Baby camera. Not only incredibly bad latency, but incosistent as well. Only thing that would have this kind of latency is if it's not streaming locally, but going out to cloud infra first, transcoding and then pulling playbacks from there. Would explain the crap video quality as well.

arrrmand
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone experienced this where while viewing (with the 20-30 second delay) on a Google Home Hub (or other non-Arlo device) that motion and audio detection events are not recorded anymore in the library? The recording works as expected while not viewing on another device. 

BuffaloTiger641
Tutor
Tutor

the delay is not the only issue going on. The cameras will only work 50% of the time and have severe issues trying to even connect to the lenovo smart displays. I dont understand why it has taken this long for the development team to look into this issue. this has been a day one problem since the lenovo displays were launched last year. Smart displays aren't going away, more and more people are buying them now.

yhk120
Guide
Guide

I even uninstalled the app and reinstalled,

absolutely nothing.

I'm much better off streaming with my apple tv.

Nmatheny
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates on when there will be a resolution?
Slade2000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update?

Hegs
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hopefully there’s an update soon. Returning the product in a week if the delay isn’t improved.
Degi22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo Moderator... can we get a real update please? Is arlo going to fix the interface or not?
wilsoncliu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've have the same issue ever since I've gotten the Arlo Baby. It rarely works on the Google home hub, and when it does it has a nasty delay...at this point I have use the app on my phone.  Still waiting for a fix...that might never come. 

eugk
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's not just the Baby model. I haven Arlo Q Plus and a Google Home Hub. It takes about 15 seconds for the stream to start after Google says OK, streaming etc. The resulting stream is delayed by about 18 seconds. That's terrible. 

Nmatheny
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good find, I also noticed when streaming arlo baby or arlo pro2 from web portal, I see the same lag time. I am going to assume the protocol netgear is using for streaming via web portal is the same as the google assistant API. Netgear please investigate!!
Ksehgal25
Tutor
Tutor
I have a arlo baby and it also has considerable lag and intermittent connection with google home hub. Please suggest
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nmatheny wrote:
netgear ... Netgear 

Arlo ... Arlo.  Netgear divested Arlo quite a while ago - they are separate companies.

GemmaC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem, huge delays when connected to Google Home.  Completely unacceptable.

Vitt9988
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem with the baby cam lagging very much with the google home hub, what does tech support say to do? And Does it fix the problem?

Any update so far on the issue?
vanlewark
Initiate
Initiate
Any news on a fix?
Fra79
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve recently used my wife iPhone as a spare unit (my pixel is in repair) and so to play around with it I’ve added the Arlo baby monitor to HomeKit. Results: There is no delay (even better then the arlo app) although there is the limitation that only 1 user can see the streaming and it’s not available outside the local networks. Additionally I can control the nightlight and have sensors info within the HomeKit app. I say that’s an integration! Streaming on my chromecast I have ~10 sec delay. I deduce that while the integration in Apple talks directly to the camera hardware, the google home integration pass by the server stream around the world even though my phone and the camera are in the same network...
cfoxusmc
Tutor
Tutor
Just adding my voice to the chorus. 20-30 second delay using Google Home Display and Google Home Max Display. Absurd.
bweller123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Arlo, come on folks.  It's been what, 7 months and no updates? 

I'm experiencing the exact same issue on a Google Nest Hub.  Lag reduces to around 3 seconds on iOS and iPad OS and web.

These devices are also on the same network with a high-end router so my original assumption was that the 3-second lag experienced over-the-wire would be reduced or maybe even eliminated with any luck.  Not amplified by an order of magnitude. Absolutely crazy. I can tell you one thing, this makes me no longer wish to upgrade my Arlo camera hardware like I originally planned next month.

What gives, Arlo? 

mcsides
Aspirant
Aspirant
Add major product liability for a baby monitor with a 20 second delay that you know exists. Resources need to be allocated the resources to fix this lag asap.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We've recently released a backend update which should fix the issue with experiencing any delays when live streaming using Google Assistant

If you're still experiencing this issue, please let us know.

vanlewark
Initiate
Initiate
Still a 22 second delay. Restarted the camera and modem. Used in Chromecast ultra and older model Chromecast work same result.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey vanlewark,

Thanks for the heads up about this. I've informed the development team about this and they're investigating this issue. We'll be sure to update the community when we have any new information.