Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Kevinleese49
Follower
Follower

Hi I have just got the new iPhone XS max and it is synchronised to my cameras but it will not play my library videos but will play live events can you help please

602 REPLIES 602
Swedfinans
Aspirant
Aspirant

offpoff
Aspirant
Aspirant
Maybe it is possible, that an admin can post the Solution, so that all can see it.

All those who have the Problem:
Make an backup from your phone. Than you Go to https://beta.apple.com/sp/de/betaprogram/

Follow the instruction. Use 12.1 Beta 4 !!!!!!! Not 12.0.1 !!!!!

The beta works fine and you can use the Arlo app and see the Videos.

But Arlo has to check why the system is working now.

If you have questions for installing the beta send me an pn.

Greetings from Germany !
Tjh1023
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sign up for iOS 12.1 beta 4, accept download and install. It fix the same issue that I was having. If you have updated to the latest iOS normal release 12.0.1 that is not 12.1.
c0nb0y702
Tutor
Tutor
Same problem on XS and I called Netgear they said they are forcing consumers to upgrade and won’t push out a firmware fix I’m absolutely livid!!
Tommm83
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking at all the responses, it looks like the public beta is fixing the issues for iPhone XS Max users, but not iPhone XS users. This seems really weird that certain videos would work on one model but not the other, but hopefully this will be resolved by the public release of 12.1.

I dont think that people getting frustrated with other people who still have the issue is helping matters - I'm glad that the beta has fixed your issue, but please don't talk down to people who still have this issue - especially after following the advice on this forum.

Fingers crossed the public release of 12.1 fixes it for all of us, and that the previous post about the firmware updates isn't the case!

RobLamb256
Aspirant
Aspirant

Confirmed working on iPhone XS Max after downloading the newest iOS 12.1 BETA 4. So my question now is was an actually an issue on the Arlo side, or was it Apple? After I spoke with an Arlo rep they said they were in communication with Apple to resolve the issue but they had no timeframe of when an update would be sent out.

smaurici
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you download video to Onedrive (or similar) it will play. However this doesn’t help much because it takes a few minutes. This tells me it’s not the iPhone. Also all my other devices that have iOS 12.0.1 work fine which tells me it’s not IOS. I have Ring cameras that did not skip a beat with new XS phone. SO IT IS ARLO/Gateway!  This is unacceptable not to mention the horrible customer service (even before this incident). Will never ever buy anything from them again. They are not to be trusted and will inform everyone I know what they are like.

Zandian
Apprentice
Apprentice
The XS has different hardware than your other devices. It has different pixel counts, resolution, cpu, you, etc. so just because Arlo’s software works on one device doesn’t necessarily mean it will work on a completely new device. And how do you explain that the new Apple IOS 12.1 beta works for many people? That proves it’s Netgear’s issue?

I think everyone needs to remind themselves that we have four elements here that have to interoperate—Apple operating system, Apple hardware, Netgear hardware and Netgear drivers/software. All four are changing all the time. There is bound to be issues, particularly when you have two independent companies, and one of them is introducing new hardware and the other one likely doesn’t even get to see what they need to interoperate with it until it’s released.

All that said it appears the fix is available if someone wants to download a beta, but likely officially released very soon.

Z
Vernell
Tutor
Tutor

So Z., what would you say about on my old IP foscam that i have for almost 4 years now, this camera did not needed an update of their software nor an IOS update, its just working as normal when i switch to Iphone Xs max. My point here is that Arlo knows that there is a new Iphone coming into the market and they did not prepare their techs about it.

Zandian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sure they know there’s a new phone coming out, but unlike Apple’s IOS beta program where developers are given advanced builds of the upcoming software, I’m pretty sure Apple isn’t giving the Netgear engineers new XS phones to play with and adjust their code for. They likely get one when the phone is released. Only then can they really know what Apple has changed and what coding remnant may cause an issue with the new platform.

There may be new cloud recording technology or features introduced industry wide, or exclusive to Netgear that may be different than your old Foscam. And it’s possible. Or there could be something different between the Arlo first gen and their later generations that result in only one of the generations having issues (like resolution, compression algorythm, video codecs, etc).

I’m simply saying that there is complexity here that is difficult for the average consumer to grasp and we maybe shouldn’t be so quick to point fingers if we really don’t know the whole issue.

That said, I think we can complain about poor communication. That Netgear can control and I believe should improve.

Z
WPJosh
Initiate
Initiate
I have the iPhone XS max and I also see the videos in the library but when I attempt to play them it’s like the video “plays” but the images never change.
Mike_Murphy
Initiate
Initiate

Just got an Iphone X and my recording from the library do not play. The Time bar moves like it should but the video is frooze. Also, the Live View does not work. 

GiovanniLim
Initiate
Initiate
I have this same issue. My Arlo wire-free cameras will notify me that it detects movement and records but I am unable to view any video on my iPhone XS. However my Arlo-Q works just fine.
JOEYvYO
Initiate
Initiate
Same isssue. Detects motion, but unable to playback videos in Library. Arlo Pro cameras work fine. Just 1st gen arlo cameras having issues with playback from library. iPhone XS max
DMorro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here...I really love my Arlo system. Library recordings and LIVE worked excellent on my old iphone 6s, now with an upgrade to iphone Xs, I get stuck in live mode and cannot play back recordings.  Also, I have 4 devices and the first one showing at the top, I cannot pull down to activate library, it floats above my iphone screen, then I get stuck in LIVE mode. Thinking about moving my cameras around so the one most seldom activated goes to the top and the one I really want to monitor is further down the screen. That's my short term work-around.  Everything still works on my laptop.  I looked in the APP store and keep thinking Arlo will send an update to fix this bug or to better integrate with new iphones.  Please.

SailsElan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see that there are nearly 300 of us with this issue. I got my new iphone on Sept. 21. I have been without access to my videos for a solid month as of tomorrow. I called tech support and was given a case number but no one follows up. It takes forever to get someone to chat with me. I am told they are sorry. They are pathetic.

SailsElan
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are all screwed. I have been without the ability to see my videos for an entire month as of tomorrow. I have a case number and have been in touch to get a status update. They are all clueless and clearly don't care.

Zandian
Apprentice
Apprentice
The ones who have been reading this thread and following the recommendations aren’t screwed, they are watching their recorded Arlo videos on their IPhone Xs Maxes
Heem206
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am going down the same path with no playback any news. I have the new iPhone X's max
Heem206
Aspirant
Aspirant

Spoopy
Initiate
Initiate
Hello,
I’m new to this site and I have a workaround that worked for me.
Download the VLC app at the AppStore.
Download the Arlo video, you’re trying to view, to your phone.
Select the video.
Tap the share button.
Tap Save to Files.
Tap VLC.
Bring up the VLC app and you’re file will be ready to play.
Physicist
Aspirant
Aspirant
Install iOS 12.1 beta, and Arlo will work on iPhone X S .
CaliGirl04
Guide
Guide

CaliGirl04
Guide
Guide

There’s a solution already!!!!! Ridiculous!!!!! Read on it!!! We have a solution and is not hard!!! Download iOS 12.1 BETA 4. Google it!!!!!!

CaliGirl04
Guide
Guide
And never mind how I type my stuff. Lol.