Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Kevinleese49
Follower
Follower

Hi I have just got the new iPhone XS max and it is synchronised to my cameras but it will not play my library videos but will play live events can you help please

602 REPLIES 602
Fmello
Star
Star

Have they patched the app yet for iPhone XS & XS Max users to fix the "Getting status..." message yet? There is an 11-page thread about it with a lot of customers. I have not been able to see live views from any of the camera feeds for about two weeks now.

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

Wired systems are great but aren’t as convenient as the wireless.  Just hoping that Netgear gets the video issues resolved...the latest update to iOS 12 did not fix the problem...

Brettlyray
Tutor
Tutor
I am also having the same issue. I called Arlo about 2 weeks ago about this and they told me they were aware of this issue and were working on fixing it. Still not working.
Fiffo
Guide
Guide
🤯 Just called support and they informed me that they know of the issue, however there is just one guy who knows how to fix the issue, and he left the company over a management dispute. Hope they hire him back or someone else, fast!!
zenith21
Initiate
Initiate

I have had an outstanding case registered on this issue for nearly 3 weeks now. Have asked Netgear for an update several times but they ignore you. 

Resorted to sending some of my videos to my onedrive then opening them from the saved location. Guess what they work and thats on a IphoneXS. Its a workaround but Netgear need to sort the App out.

Considering Amazon blink in the future

nuvoix
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just upgraded to an iPhone XS also on Ios12 and same issue.
When press play just a still appears

Download videos (10 second clips) to iPhone and just a white image when I select play.

Downloaded images to pc play fine.
IOS12 or iPhone Xs incompatibility issue here
Dengar1
Guide
Guide

This is unacceptable. Arlo does not work on my iPhone XS. Arlo Q continues to work, but Arlo wireless recordings will not play, even when downloaded.

Arlo is a company with a new IPO. Imagine if your iPhone customers became angry and vocal enough to spread the news that your products don’t work with the latest iPhone.

This is the second time in the last year that a crippling bug has rendered my Arlo cameras useless.

Gizzygone
Star
Star
I’m wondering if it’s worth our while to start writing reviews of the Arlo Products on Arlo resellers. I doubt it’ll put a dent on their overall rating, but it’s insane to sell a $500 system, charge you a monthly fee, only to have essentially a paper weight.

My laptop is ancient.... my phone has been my primary computer for years. But if their solution is to use another device: I think it’s worthwhile warning potential buyers. (Given they may also be on the same boat as me, with a phone as their primary “computer”)
don112893
Initiate
Initiate

I have had my 3 camera arlo system for approximatley 2 years. About 2 weeks ago i noticed when i revece an alert on my iphone xs and would attempt to play the video it would not play. The video goes throught the 10 second cycle like it should but there is no content to the video. Its just a still shot of when the camera picked up the initial

motion. Any help would be appreceated, also firmware 1.10.0.9_23037 , hardwarevmb3010r2.

Dengar1
Guide
Guide

It is absolutely worth spreading the message in any way possible. 

Most people, I suspect, check in on their recordings when they're away from home and aren't likely to have a second mobile device or computer with them. The "solution" to use a computer to view recordings is about as good as telling us to buy a secondary camera system from another manufacturer to use for the next few months while Arlo does nothing to solve the problem.

I wonder if Arlo separating from Netgear means fewer resources at their disposal. Maybe Netgear knows this is a doomed product and decided to unload it from their portfolio by splitting the company off.

nuvoix
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can we clarify if this is an Iphone X Xs or  ios12 issue?

Luki9990
Apprentice
Apprentice
only XS and XS Max
ozmale1
Star
Star

@Fiffo wrote:
🤯 Just called support and they informed me that they know of the issue, however there is just one guy who knows how to fix the issue, and he left the company over a management dispute. Hope they hire him back or someone else, fast!!

That is absurd! A company whoes products are almost completely software based having only one guy who knows the app how crazy.  The more we find out about netgear the more we realise what bad company they are.  We were all suckers to buy their products.

ozmale1
Star
Star

@nuvoix wrote:

Can we clarify if this is an Iphone X Xs or  ios12 issue?

The problem is only with iphone XS and XS max.  these new phones have a new graphics processor chip. The arlo app requires a two minute coding change to interface correctly with the new GPU.  Every other video app did this be for the new phones were released. 

Fmello
Star
Star

I sent the reply below to Netgear employee JessicaP on a different thread. Instead of answering the question, she just moved the post back to this thread:

Re: "Continue" button for Live Chat does not work.

Have they patched the app yet for iPhone XS & XS Max users to fix the "Getting status..." message yet? There is an 11-page thread about it with a lot of pissed off customers. I have not been able to see live views from any of the camera feeds for about two weeks now.

Dengar1
Guide
Guide
By the way, folks, how does this slow engineering response make you all feel about how secure your accounts and your private videos are? Do you think this engineering team is capable of dealing with security threats?

I chose Arlo because I wanted a surveillance product that was backed by a solid, active development team. Whoops!
nuvoix
Aspirant
Aspirant
urzaseye
Guide
Guide

I’ve been following this thread since I posted my own comment two weeks ago. For those who have joined us recently, let me summarize what we’ve learned so far, plus I’m adding a few things I’ve learned recently.

1. The problem only happens with iPhone Xs and Xs Max devices. It is not a problem with iOS 12, as anyone using iOS 12 on an iPhone other than the Xs models (or using any iPad) is not having this problem.

2. Since I started having the problem, I have enrolled my Xs Max in the iOS 12.1 beta. I am now on the current beta (16B5077c). The problem still occurs under this version as well. I have the latest Arlo app on my iPhone and all my cameras have the latest firmware. Specifically, the firmware revision on the camera model that doesn’t work is 1.2.21616.

3. One person posted on this thread a while back that the updated GPU in the Xs and Xs Max is not compatible with Arlo’s FFmpeg. I have no idea if that’s correct but whoever that was (I can’t find the post right now) might be more knowledgeable about these things. It’s been years since I worked with FFmpeg. When it comes to video codecs, I’m an amateur at best. But, using some tools I found on the Internet, I was able to do a detailed comparison of a file created by the original Arlo camera model (VMC3030) and one made by an Arlo Pro (VMC4030). They are both H.264 format files but the “bad” one has a “Main@L4.0” encoding profile whereas the “good” one is “High@L3.0”. I googled for info on this — turns out the use of the “Main” profile declined once the “High” profile was developed. So there’s that, whatever that means.

4. There have been a handful of posts from NETGEAR employees in this thread that engineering is aware of the problem and working on a solution. In the meantime, they recommend using a web browser to view the videos. I think this is possibly the most ridiculous thing anyone could suggest. The ENTIRE point of Arlo is to be able to easily view security footage on your phone when you’re away from home. By the time you get home to your computer so you can look at the video in a web browser, thieves may have stolen your computer! I still can’t believe anyone at NETGEAR or Arlo thinks this is a valid workaround. That is some bad messaging.

5. It’s always true that you could discover that a new device is not compatible with older technology. So, although the idea that the original Arlo cameras may not work with the iPhone Xs is perhaps reasonable, THIS MODEL CAMERA IS STILL BEING SOLD. Company representatives posting comments in this thread is insufficient. They should have a big warning box in red text on the top of their homepage stating that Arlo wire-free cameras are not currently compatible with iPhone Xs or Xs Max. It is reasonable to believe there are Xs users out there in the world who are going to buy an original-model Arlo camera today and have a totally bad user experience because this combination does not work and no one is warning them.

6. I know of no viable workaround at this time to get the movies to play on the Xs. If you use the download function to save a movie into your Camera Roll, it will have a generic white icon and is unplayable — it either does nothing or the iPhone crashes back to the Apple logo. The file itself is fine — if I use AirDrop to send it to my computer, the file plays fine there. I came up with one last idea to get around the problem — using email alerts. When video is recorded, the Arlo system can send a push notification to your Arlo app and/or it can send an email that contains a link to the video. Clicking this link opens the movie in Safari on the iPhone rather than the Arlo app, so I thought it might be a workaround. Sadly, Arlo Pro movies work fine but videos recorded by the original model Arlo camera don’t play in the iOS version of Safari either.

I think that about covers all the bases. Hopefully Arlo will address these concerns with a proper statement soon. These infrequent “please be patient” notes are not cutting it.

Meriddian69
Guide
Guide
Workaround.

There is one. You can export recorded video from the Arlo app to either OneDrive or Google drive and the videos can be played on an iPhone XS from the OneDrive app or Google drive app.

I cannot comment on XS max as I don't have one.
Dengar1
Guide
Guide
The workaround does work.

Share > Google Drive. Then open within the Google Drive app.

Works for now.

Thanks, Meriddian!
wysiwygshelby
Guide
Guide

I think you summed up the problem perfectly!  I have posted much earlier on this thread.  I just got off the phone with a support supervisor (I will use that term loosely) and they were of NO help whatsoever.  It is worth mentioning again Arlo is NO longer owned by Netgear.  That could be most of the problem...no knowledgeable engineers to figure it out.  I have been waiting since October 21st (as most of us have been) to get an app update to resolve this issue.  Personally, after talking to a tech supervisor at Arlo, I don't think that day will come.  I have had my cameras for over two years so it is a very expensive mistake for me.  Too long to get a refund.  If Arlo cannot fix the app they should be required to replace ALL of the non-functioning cameras with the new ones for a VERY nominal fee.  Not likely but wishful thinking.  I will be posting my two year review on the two websites where I got the cameras (Amazon and Best Buy) and letting ususpecting customers what we all know-the older cameras DO NOT work with IOS 12 and the newest iPhones.  Buyer beware! It will be much easier to dump Arlo than my new iPhone X Max!  I love all of my iPhones.  I will not buy any products that do not play nicely with IOS 12 or my iPhone.  Also, if any of you that have other wireless cameras would be willing to share others that work well I sure would appreciate it!  Hasta la vista Arlo...   

ec75
Tutor
Tutor
What is our alternative system? Swann?
Fmello
Star
Star

I have the iPhone XS Max. I can watch recorded clips that are in the library with no problems using the Arlo app. My problem is that I cannot watch a live feed. Each camera view has the message "Getting Status..." over each camera view instead of the "Live" button. Been about 2 weeks now.

Mackie99
Aspirant
Aspirant

One Word -- BLINK!!

I have no problem view videos from my BLINK system. I do however have problems viewing video of my ARLO system.  I hit play and the scrubber starts to move but the video is frozen.

Those saying to view offline or with google drive...that's just BS.

Netgear...FIX this.

alexpapas
Initiate
Initiate

Why can't ARLO cop to the fact that their video software is currently incompatible with iPhone XS?

It's pitiful. I need to be able to view my video feed when my camera is triggered and I'm not in my office to be able to view the video feed.

It's pathetic that they can't fix it but even worse that theu can't admit to it and lay out  a timeline for a fix