Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
rob170
Tutor
Tutor

So I recently found a small handful of people in my iOS contact list have an "Arlo" label where it usually says "camera" under the third icon behind "message" and "call" directly under the contact's name when I open it. I am freaking out because I've got an Arlo camera in my bedroom-very private-and this is disturbing to say the least. However, when I go to my app settings, it says I haven't granted access to anyone-but when I click on the "Arlo" icon on my phone under the contact it opens the app with full control of viewing and turning cameras on and off and basically anything else you could want to do. But other people in my contact list do not have the "Arlo" icon, it is still just the "camera" icon. Need to figure this out asap thanks.

Base station model VMB3000

iphone 7 plus running ios 12 running version 2.6.1 of Arlo app.

Basic Arlo wire free camera

Arlo App version 2.6.1

Apple iphone 7 plus running ios 12

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

This is an iOS feature that prioritizes video call capable applications for contacts (apps like Skype, Facetime, etc. appear here) as you can see on the screenshot. iOS prioritizes the app displayed based on frequency of use and eligibility. For example, a contact with an iPhone might have Facetime displayed here if you regularly use Facetime with that contact. The last app used will be shown here. If you tap and hold the icon, you can select another app. Rest assured this is NOT sharing Arlo cameras or any Arlo information with contacts in your contacts list.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Lemondog7
Apprentice
Apprentice
The update yesterday broke all usability. The new UI is terrible. Let us roll back. The last version was perfect.
Martinnc
Tutor
Tutor

I noticed the same. A bit concerning actually!

Dr_Henning
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same Arlo icon with some of my contacts on my Iphone, not all of them.. i noticed that

the contacts with Facetime have video as text under the icon, and my contacts not having

Facetime has Arlo as text under the icon.  

Weird, do you know anyone without facetime who have you as a contact, then you can try to

push the icon and see what happens on both phones at the same time, or just see if under your

name in the contact list Arlo is stated.

khurni
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.

iPhons 6s

iOS 11.4.1

Arlo app: 2.6.1

Android doesn't have the issue, BTW.

I'm fairly certain it's the Arlo app.

2.6.1 was updated/released on 10/23/18.

The silence from NetGear is par for the course.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone,

Could you provide a screenshot where some iOS contacts have an Arlo icon so I can take a look?

khurni
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sure thing.

FYI:  In iOS, the contacts all have a "video" icon, that is grayed out (at least on mine) for a second or two.

"normal" contacts, the video icon will turn blue after 1-2 seconds

Random contacts, this icon will then turn into a blue Arlo icon.

khurni
Aspirant
Aspirant

One more thing we found out:

It seems that if the contact is an iPhone user, they show "normal" (video icon).

If the contact is an Android user, then they show as "Arlo".

Vghoward
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo is under a few of my contact names. Does this mean they have access to my cameras? If I hit the icon it pulls up my cameras. Doesn’t say I’ve granted access to anyone. I am very worried! I changed my password but can they access still?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for providing that screenshot. Try to update to the latest iOS version (iOS 12.1) to see if the "Arlo" text goes away.

rob170
Tutor
Tutor

I've already updated, I updated to 12.1 right after I noticed this issue. It is still going on. Taking screenshot now.IMG_21CAAA859B4F-1.jpeg

Krunk
Initiate
Initiate
This seems like a SERIOUS security flaw. Please fix ASAP.
Lemondog7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh no!  This is seriously bad.  Wow.  Just checked a friend who also has an Arlo system.  I've never given her (or anyone else) access to my arlo cameras.  This is bad!!!!!! NOW a security flaw?????  GIVE ME BACK 2.5.5.

Lemondog7
Apprentice
Apprentice

same!!!  This is not good!

khurni
Aspirant
Aspirant

And no update from Arlo folks?

Seriously, this takes all of 2 minutes to duplicate.  Do the Arlo programmers not have iPhones?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

This is an iOS feature that prioritizes video call capable applications for contacts (apps like Skype, Facetime, etc. appear here) as you can see on the screenshot. iOS prioritizes the app displayed based on frequency of use and eligibility. For example, a contact with an iPhone might have Facetime displayed here if you regularly use Facetime with that contact. The last app used will be shown here. If you tap and hold the icon, you can select another app. Rest assured this is NOT sharing Arlo cameras or any Arlo information with contacts in your contacts list.

Dr_Henning
Tutor
Tutor

Lemondog7.

Did your friend have access to your cameraes i her Arlo app, and was it possible for her to

see what happend in front of the cameraes and turn the cameraes on and off, without

you have given her access to anything.. 

Or did she "only" have the Arlo icon..

Andberg1
Tutor
Tutor

Problem with contacts showing Arlo beside camera icon. 

No , the it is not solved even is previous topics is saying that 

please provide a true permanent solution 

I just realize that I have the same problem as configuring my wife’s iPhone 7 iOS 12.1.2 arlo 2.6.3

when clicking on camera icon there is no other option than arlo 

even worse it is not possible to remove it

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Andberg1,

You can choose other options on the camera icon by holding on the "video" icon and you will see the list as the screenshot provides on here.

Andberg1
Tutor
Tutor

No, This solution is Not working when there is no other choice than Arlo to choose. Arlo must not interfere with my contacts in anyway 

Andberg1
Tutor
Tutor

Not working 

Mr_Jonny
Aspirant
Aspirant

Noticed that in my Apple contacts app where I only have work or home phone entries, the video "button" is connected to the Arlo app.  Arlo app v2.7.4.  This happens on both iPhone and iPad.  If I have a mobile phone number listed this button shows "Facetime"  

Anyone else see this?

Dannybear
Master
Master
Can confirm that the video icon in some of my contacts says arlo. Seems to occur on contacts that are not recognised with an Apple ID. This is on iPhone 5s with iOS 12.1.2 and App v2.7.4.
Just updated partners iPhone 5s using iOS 12.1 and the issue does not appear.
Mr_Jonny
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks,  

I just did the upgrade on my iPhone 7 to 12.1.4 and still have the same issue.

FoggyCreek
Initiate
Initiate

I agreee with @Andberg1, the solution that was given does not work.  If i go through the Arlo app i have to put in a password.  If i click on the arlo icon on one of my contadts it takes me straight to my arlo without a password.  This is a security issue.  Please give a soulution that really works.  This is unacceptable.