Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Vikash
Guide
Guide
I used 3 of the camera s now for 3 weeks with no problem. Now they are going offline. After re syncing en resetting the base station now for several times the problem stil excists. Sometimes one or two seem to go online again but the streaming does not work and they go offline again. Can someone help me solve this problem? Thank you.
68 REPLIES 68
JMGarza70
Tutor
Tutor
Did not separate bc they are online and working great... But for how long? I'll keep posting when they keep going offline.
Cirrus
Tutor
Tutor

What router/hub do you use?

Bigdog1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had my power go out, and now can't get my 3 cameras back online.

Any tricks to get this going.

Thx
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a restart on the base station. You can do this via the app or browser under Settings, base station. If that doesn't work, try the power button. Lastly, try opening and closing the battery doors on the cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Bigdog1 wrote:
I had my power go out, and now can't get my 3 cameras back online.

As mentioned, do the previous tips listed....

But I believe this has happened to a few users before with power outages ( which is why myself and a few others use a UPS on the arlo base )

It seems that during power outages, when the power fails to the base, the cams loose connection and after time sync.  Upon power being restored, the base will automaticly restart but if the cameras  lost sync they will not re-connect.  Sometimes opening and closing the battery door on the camera will allow the cameras to auto sync back up... but either way it's not something that can be done remotely.  If not, the cams must be re-sync'ed as when originally started up.

Using a UPS keeps power to the base so the cams never loose connection, when external power comes back then the full system restarts.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Blusholympia
Aspirant
Aspirant
Our cameras are all offline. We just got this system a couple weeks ago so the batteries shouldn't be dead and we got a new wireless router today so there should be no issues
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't a$$-u-me anything.  Batteries shouldn't be dead but there's lots of reasons why they could be.

I'd start with power-cycling the base station.  If that does nothing, check the LEDs on the base - there should be 3 green ones.  If not, what are they doing? Also, try opening and closing the battery doors on the cameras to reset them.

mhammo
Tutor
Tutor
Mine keep going offline pretty consistently. It's not my WiFi as everything else works fine. E.g. roku, echo, netflix, internet, etc.

I have had them for 2 weeks. If this is normal then they will not be reliable enough for what they are intended. Cankot have security cameras going offline so much.
woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

mhammo wrote:
Mine keep going offline pretty consistently. It's not my WiFi as everything else works fine. E.g. roku, echo, netflix, internet, etc.

I have had them for 2 weeks. If this is normal then they will not be reliable enough for what they are intended. Cankot have security cameras going offline so much.

Don't be so sure about that wifi!!! I had the same thing, all my devices worked perfectly, but the Arlo system, even though the radar icon shows 3 and 4 bars, it doesn't really mean a thing. If your cameras work sporadically, I can guarantee, it's wifi!!! Base station, has to be in the sweetspot!!! Been thar an done that!!!

You can check out all my posts and see.

SJC829
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue and I can't get a hold of a rep to help me. It was working fine until my neighbor came home. Now my cameras will not come back online. I'm hoping they are not interfering with the signal somehow...
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SJC829,

Is this happening to more than one camera? If so, consider relocating your base station. There may be interference that is hindering it's communication with your cameras. Try to elevate the base and make sure to eliminate any nearby wireless devices. Let us know if you're still having issues!

JamesC

Ubu
Tutor
Tutor
My 4 cameras worked fine for the first 6-8 weeks, but now they keep randomly going offline, as well as detecting motion when none is present. My house is super small and all cameras show a good connection when they are online. Battery levels are also all good. What is the problem? Not happy at all at this point.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ubu,

It sounds like it could be an interference issue. Consider relocating the base station and make sure it is as isolated from any other wireless devices as it can be.

JamesC

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

Ubu wrote:
My 4 cameras worked fine for the first 6-8 weeks, but now they keep randomly going offline, as well as detecting motion when none is present. My house is super small and all cameras show a good connection when they are online. Battery levels are also all good. What is the problem? Not happy at all at this point.

Hey Ubu,

The Arlo system while being a bit frustrating at times, really seems to work pretty well once you kinda fine tune it for your particular enviroment. James C, is on target with his advice and I can vouch for it from my own personal experience.

I've had the same issue and unfortunately the community and the Arlo moderators can only go so far with the limitations built into the Arlo system. I had to get a 50 foot ethernet cable and an extension cord to allow me to move my basestation around within my home to be able to find the sweet spot where the wifi signal back and forth between the cameras and base station, literally allowed all the cameras to jump online while looking at my computer monitor. You can look at some of my previous posts for more info on all the pain in the backside issues I've had with my own Arlo system.

With that said, Arlo did indeed replace my base station and personally I think they've got a bad run of base stations  out there, as my replacement, is now located within 4 foot of my cable router, as designed and I have had minimal issues, which was absolutely impossible with the original base station, as you'll see if you look at my post history. I think it's a weak signal or antenna within the base station, that was the source of my frustrations with the Arlo system.

Hope this helps.

Flyer111
Guide
Guide
Do the cameras update automatically?
Flyer111
Guide
Guide

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Flyer111 wrote:
Do the cameras update automatically?

Yes. You can also open and close the battery doors to attempt to force it.

Dave63
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just installed my camera last evening. The base station is within a fit of the wifi router, the camera is currently sitting 3 feet away mounted looking out a window. I set it for motion detection and it went offline. I have Been checking off and on and it appears it is going offline a lot in three hours. This is not what I expect how can you have surveillance when it is constantly going offline?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not necessarily your system but something about the servers.  For starters, look at your base and verify you have 3 green LEDs.  You can try using the power switch to reset the base and open and close the battery door to reset the camera - maybe that will help.

Also, try the other method of accessing the system, app or browser.  Sometimes what seems to not work in one actually does in the other. If one works but not the other, there can be other steps to try.

FredBosch
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem camera s. Offline system one week old 2days ok than camera offline 1 day ok than camera offline. help
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What steps have you taken to troubleshoot?  Did you try my suggestions from my post just above yours?

FredBosch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes not working
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

List the troubleshooting steps you've taken. Also consider a trouble ticket for possible RMA.

pnickel
Apprentice
Apprentice

just curious...what is giving you the indication that the cameras are offline...are you seeing " offline " in the software somewhere.  I know that when I'm trying to use the position mode that it works intermittently..I wind up just going to the camera page and using live view to set them..

pnickel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just curious..what is an AP?