Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera's keep going offline

Discussion stats
Vikash
Guide
Guide
I used 3 of the camera s now for 3 weeks with no problem. Now they are going offline. After re syncing en resetting the base station now for several times the problem stil excists. Sometimes one or two seem to go online again but the streaming does not work and they go offline again. Can someone help me solve this problem? Thank you.
68 REPLIES 68
AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

I've been having this problem recently as well.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There are many variables ...

Your best bet is to contact Netgear and put in a trouble ticket... they can check the system logs for your base/cams to assist in solving the problem

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes, Contact Netgear.. and also in order for them to see your logs.. don't reset your Base Station.. 

DeannS
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Vikash,

According to our data center report, your cameras are now back online. 

Are you still experiencing the intermittent issue with your cameras going offline? 

Have you attempted to reboot your Base Station since 6-19? 

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

DeannS

Arlo Team

Vikash
Guide
Guide
Good morning.
The camera s are indeed online now for 2 days. I rebooted The base station 2 times. Synced The camera's A few times. Change the WiFi Chanel. And deleted and downloaded the arlo app again. Now it seems to work. I hope it stays this way, because when they work I am happy.
Do you have any advise to prevent this from happening again.
Regards

Vikash
rtwiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update of my issue

I have rebooted the camera and rebooted the base. also I have move the base closer in range to the camera ( even though the signal strength meter on the camera was maxed before).

So far the camera is streaming ok. Will monitor a few days to see if problem returns.
JMGarza70
Tutor
Tutor
I started with one camera over 8 weeks ago added a second camera 3 weeks ago and within the last 3 weeks the system has gone offline twice. Four days ago when it went offline I did nothing and it was back online by the afternoon, this morning both cameras are offline...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd wonder about signal strength (distance as well as metal blocking - don't forget duct work) as well as possible 2.4GHz interference (microwaves, phones, etc.). Lotsa possibilities here. Also, make sure your base and cameras are running updated firmware.

JMGarza70
Tutor
Tutor
I did nothing and it's back on line....
TheRealDeal
Guide
Guide

Both my cameras are now going offline every few days. The camera connectivity has been flawless for 3 months. The only change I notice is a new firmware revision for both cameras and base station. If I reboot the base station then the cameras come back online. I noticed that the third LED from the left was off which signifies camera connectivity. One of the cameras is right next to the basestation as I use it for testing so it is not an issue maximum distance. I think I'll open a ticket with arlo. I wish I could get a firmware that just worked without issue then I could lock it so it doesn't update anymore.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Test your ISP here http://www.speedtest.net as often as you want to make sure your connectivity is all good.. If it is then you know it's not your end.. If your system has been working and all of a sudden you're getting this unusual Offline intermittently then chances are your ISP or Netgear Server is acting up.. 

TheRealDeal
Guide
Guide

Good guess. My ISP upgraded me to 150Mbps. Getting great bandwidth. The only change I can see is the upgrade of firmware to both cameras and base station. I've changed channels on the AP that was in the same room as the base station. Cameras went offline again this morning. I've turned off the AP completely so there should not be any strong wifi signals near the base station. Again, connectivity has been great for the last 3 months with the AP turned on.

Being that one of the cameras is 1ft away from the base station, I can't see this as being interferance but I'm willing to try by turning off the AP. Who knows, maybe my AP starting going crazy broadcasting over the 2.4 Ghz range. I've seen NICs chatter on wired networks causing all sorts of issues.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy
Knock on wood i havent experienced Offline yet with this new firmware.. Its just a matter of time Though who knows.. I have a feeling this is a Netgear server again acting up or firmware is just as bad as the previous.. Again.. If our system was working before the update and all of a sudden we get all thses glitches after the new update.. We kinda get the hunch that the problem is not our system.. Dont you think?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TheRealDeal,

Were you able to get a resolution through the support team?  If you could post the results it may help other community members having similar issues.  Thank you for your contribution!

JamesC

Vikash
Guide
Guide
See my post on The 22nd of june. That worked for me so far!
TheRealDeal
Guide
Guide
Thanks for posting James. I am going back and forth with L2 engineers on the issue. If your cameras are going offline every day or so, I'd encourage you to open a ticket via this site. The more of we report the issue, the more they will start looking at the possibility that it is firmware or server related. My cameras didn't have one connectivity issue until about 10 days ago. Trying a different approach, I opened and closed the battery door on the test camera which caused the base station camera LED to light up and all cameras came back online. Seems like the base station is dropping connection the all cameras. I wish I could get to the logs to find out what is going on right before the drop.
TheRealDeal
Guide
Guide
Vikash, how did you change the wifi channel as you had in your post?
Vikash
Guide
Guide
I went into my router settings (see your user manual) and change the channel
TheRealDeal
Guide
Guide
Ok I thought you meant on the base station. That was one of the first things I tried but still no dice.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TheRealDeal wrote:
Ok I thought you meant on the base station. That was one of the first things I tried but still no dice.

If you really want to go thru the trouble of changing Arlo base channel....

1)Change your wifi channel to the one you want Arlo on

2) do a full reset of Arlo and re-set it up... it will restart on the same channel as your wifi if close to each other

3) change your wifi channel back to where it was.

done

Morse is faster than texting!
TheRealDeal
Guide
Guide
Finally got fed up and did a factory reset, ressynced all cameras and they are still going offline about every 1/2 day.
JMGarza70
Tutor
Tutor
I added new batteries yesterday to replace some bad ones I bought from Amazon-- so far it's doing great!
JMGarza70
Tutor
Tutor
Just added new batteries and it was fine for about 10 hours but this morning -- both cameras are offline.
I read if base is too close to router , separate the two, but how far do they need to be separated?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Whether the base needs to be moved depends on a lot of variables but 20 feet separation is a general recommendation.  YMMV.