Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

yngveeide
Apprentice
Apprentice

Before last app update, every once in a while, the Arlo iOS app would report that my base station and cameras were offline, even though everything was up and running. After a few seconds, the app would cycle back to online mode.

After last app update, there is a lot of "Your device is not connected" errors, all the time. And it takes forever for it to cycle back to correct online mode. This is very frustrating when something is going on outside, and you can´t access a live video feed, when everything is connected and up and running.

238 REPLIES 238
Rogch
Guide
Guide

After a month Arlo made a new iOS app release that changed the error message of the notorious "Your device is not connected" error problem to display "Your Arlo device appears offline" instead.  

I noted that some users reported the new release has addressed their issue but not for me.  I'm posting to make Arlo know the problem is not fixed for all.  The iOS app on my iPhone is supposed to be the latest I can download.   

ravives
Tutor
Tutor
@JessicaP I am done with Arlo... this iOS app issue and lack of resolution has gone too far for me.

Back in Dec 2019 I bought a two camera arlo pro2 system, it is still under warranty ( including the base station ).

I need my $269.99 I paid for it ... I don’t want any more Arlo’s products ... what is that I need to do to get my refund ?

Again, I don’t want refurbished equipemt replacement, nor arlo credit, nothing but my money back ...
walcycarroll
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue with Arlo Essentials camera using iOS 12 and iOS 14.
Removed/readded the cameras, deleted the iphone app.

Works fine using a windows login for the cameras.

9-19-2020, tried to call Arlo on a Saturday of course no phone support on Saturday.
randyctchu
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here... My camera shows "Your device is not connected" even though the motion detection and recording works properly. Because of that, I cannot view the live view. 

If it helps, sometimes the message would disappear and thumbnail would show up for a while. Then it goes back to "Your device is not connected" again...... 

dougp1122
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently added a second base station to provide better coverage for all my cameras. So far I have moved one camera to the new base station. When I go to view that particular camera via the Arlo IOS app on either my iPhone or iPad it indicates the camera is offline. I can access it without issue via the browser interface on my Windows computer. 

Anyone else have this issue when operating a second base station? I do have a ticket open with support, but taking forever to get a response. 

reking
Aspirant
Aspirant
Two months of this problem and still no resolution. Get your act together Arlo.
ab21au
Guide
Guide

I got sick of waiting and so I ended up having to remove and re-add the camera and now it’s working and it has been for a few weeks. 

RoboCop2
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you are getting the "device not connected" message on your iPhone,  check to see if the old app is still on your phone. Try deleting it.  

I was getting these messages + slow performance. Troubleshot every component; all were working properly.  The moment I deleted the old app everything came back to life.

Nothappy1234567
Guide
Guide
To be clear, deleting and downloading the app again made no difference. I’ve arranged to return my devices and advised all family and friends to steer clear of Arlo. It’s incredibly embarrassing the way they operate!
Arlonium
Tutor
Tutor

Same here. Avoiding at all costs. Mines over a year old so I'm taking a huge hit selling it to someone else. Arlo you can LMN

RoboCop2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't get pissy with me.  I'm just trying to help.  Btw, you should actually read my post before spouting off;  "If the OLD APP..." meaning that when you download the new app the old app remains on your iPhone.  You have to delete it manually.

When you do this you should notice much better response and less hang-time. 

Also, if you iPhone is over 80% of it's HD capacity you will have retarded performance across the board.  #1 Rule of Apple:  Always leave 20% headroom on your hard drive.

No charge for that piece of priceless advice.  

Here's another piece of free advice:  Any urban/suburban neighborhood these days is literally crammed full of RF signals and WiFi bouncing off every object and interfering with just about everything RF/wireless.   It's a wonder any of these devices work at all given the massive amount of signal.  Also probably why people are going ape-sh*t over any little thing... I digress.  Try moving your base and your camera into positions that give them the closest line-of-sight/obstacle-free(especially walls with metal structures in them(corners) line of transmission.  Even enhancing the reception by taping a 4' x 6" tinfoil antenna on the wall next to your base station can help.  

Occasionally you may need to re-establish the connection by "removing" the camera and base station and going through the set up protocol again.  Particularly after Arlo has done one of their midnight-firmware updates.

Count your chickens.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

This issue should now be fixed on the the latest version of the Arlo iOS app, which is 2.21. Make sure to update to the latest version if you haven't done so already. You can read more about it here: Arlo iOS App - 2.21 - 16th October 2020

If you're still experiencing this issue, please let us know by starting a new thread here on the community with full details.

reking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I know you think that your latest update resolved the issue but I assure you it has not. It fixed some cameras but not others. 

tpomes
Aspirant
Aspirant

FYI, 2 out of 7 cameras had the issue, with the last update on the IOS APP they now work for the past few days without me removing anything, just updating the APP.  THey worked from Windows the entire time of the issues.