Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
Dxm4145
Tutor
Tutor

I’m having the same issue and was told by customer service that I now need a subscription for any recorded videos to be saved, even on my own SD card. I’ve been saving videos without a subscription for months, I wish they didn’t change this!

Dxm4145
Tutor
Tutor

I’m having the same issue but customer service rep told me that I now need to have a subscription to save and access any recordings even if I’m using my own SD card or usb device. 

Sanon
Guide
Guide

Hello

My VM4540 Base station is no longer recording videos locally . I don’t have a subscription. It stopped working yesterday. I had port forwarding enabled and was able to view recorded videos just fine until yesterday. 

troubleshooting steps :

- reset base station.

- added back a pro 4 camera and my doorbell.

- setup port forwarding in settings and updated port forwarding settings in my router

- used a different usb storage device that is known to be working.

- plugged in USB drive to my computer. There’s no videos on the usb drive.

please help.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

So sad what they have done. Take to twitter and call them out

Alohadd
Initiate
Initiate

same here…..Arlo is not doing things right anymore 

B_CFJ
Tutor
Tutor

Same here, Arlo please fix this issue. thank you.

Chipscraven
Initiate
Initiate

I just upgraded my service

what would you know, cloud recording and local storage are suddenly working. Company ethics have certainly gone out the window. I will be following up on this issue. 

Xytheris
Initiate
Initiate

I have the exact same issue happening too!

No recordings since 5AM yesterday.

Swarnes
Star
Star

Arlo disabled our equipment on purpose to force us to pay for subscriptions to use the equipment that we have purchased. This is unfair and probably illegal. We need to band together and sue the company. This is bull**bleep**.

Hojaz21
Initiate
Initiate

Same. Mine stopped around 3:30am. Support said there’s an issue and to “please await our email”. 

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agreed. Anyone know a good attorney?

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got the same line from them. What I’m doing is putting all the evidence here  into my service ticket to put it back in their face. 

Dilligaf72
Tutor
Tutor

just another way for a conglomerate to bilk hard working folks out of a few more bucks. 
This is exactly why people don’t want to work anymore. Paychecks are literally sucked dry before the ink even dries on them these days. 

ejohnbapt
Initiate
Initiate

As of Dec 13th, 2023 my local storage stop recording.  I rebooted the system and also uninstalled and re-installed my app.  Issue is still apparent today.  Is this a know issue or is this something new?  I was recording everyday until Dec 13th, 2022 and then the recordings just stopped.  Any actions do I need to take?

Frankliner
Initiate
Initiate

Since local recording is a feature and why I bought the ultra with base station, how do we  return these and get our money back?

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

If the company deliberately canceled this feature, this is a legal crime
We all bought this system because of this feature and paid thousands of dollars for them
I basically live outside the US and they don't allow me to sign up for the cloud recording service
Now my house and farm are in great danger because of them, and I cannot guarantee their safety
The company must be prosecuted for what it does of suspicious and illegal operations
But if what happened was the result of an error in the latest software update, it must immediately solve the problem

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

If the company deliberately canceled this feature, this is a legal crime
We all bought this system because of this feature and paid thousands of dollars for them
I basically live outside the US and they don't allow me to sign up for the cloud recording service
Now my house and farm are in great danger because of them, and I cannot guarantee their safety
The company must be prosecuted for what it does of suspicious and illegal operations
But if what happened was the result of an error in the latest software update, it must immediately solve the problem

Cslay
Initiate
Initiate

Ever since yesterday I cant get video recordings to my locally stored library.  I still get alerts of motion but recordings show up. I'm not on a plan and don't use the cloud. I have plenty of space on my flash drive and even formatted it. My Moms even stopped recording too. My sisters still works but she has the Arlo 2 and we have the 3.

Can anyone please help?

Cslay
Initiate
Initiate

*recordings don't show up 

DuckingArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Videos captured and recorded on base station after installing android build 4.0.2.1_28506 are not accessible or even listed in the library. Please make previous android build available in Google Play.

ed2028
Star
Star
JeffRand
Star
Star

I bought my entire system from the Arlo store on Amazon.com. If you go there right now, the first line in the "about" section reads:

• Free local storage - Remotely access your locally secured smart camera footage from the included Arlo Smart hub (requires MicroSD card, sold separately)

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HRML25F 

Looks like I may be taking my business elsewhere unless they correct this issue. After 2+ years they can't just take away a feature that I bought and paid for originally.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We all need to always post which UI you're using - the old one or the new (one way to tell is if you see Library or Feed to see videos). Without this info, we're just wasting time with potentially wrong answers since the method to view local recordings is different.

FrannyK
Tutor
Tutor

Same thing happened to me and I have been working hours since yesterday morning to figure it out.  I reset, reformatted the usb, etc. nothing worked.  This morning I did a factory reset and that isn't fixing the issue.  

Everything appears to be fine, connected, online, etc. but no recordings.  

Now very frustrated as there is no number to contact support or at least, after numerous searches, cannot find a number.  I know this is a good system but you shouldn't have to pay for a subscription.  Please help if anyone can!

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

A while ago I wrote a well-deserved review of Arlo cameras
It seems that Amazon is a victim of this company and does not know about it
Everyone should write reviews in which they make it clear to all those who are about to buy