Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No longer recording locally as of last night.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
FrannyK
Tutor
Tutor

Oh it gets even better.  Found phone numbers but no humans.  Tells you to use the new online system that DOES NOT WORK.  And then they ask for money to connect to a live person.  B.S. ARLO!!!!!  Your systems are rated in the top 10 but your service and responsiveness to issues, is a zero if not less.  

AND, if you did change to not allowing local storage - shame shame on you for allowing sales and marketing to support otherwise.  Totally pissed off customer right now as my system is new (only a couple of months use).

They need to give us free cloud service until this is fixed!

Henrysky
Star
Star

I have same issue from Dec 13th,2022 after system upgrade. Even though cell phone received motion notifications, but it can not record locally. There is no any record files in my memory stick card when I check with my laptop.

I changed several different brand memory stick cards, I changed router and switcher, format the memory stick card reboot whole system, everything is good except record locally. 

It seems the problem comes from system upgrade...

And it is same, I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, very tricky. If I knew this service level agreement, I might change mind for other alternative before purchase...

My base station is VMB4540(R3)+4 PRO 3 cameras.

I wish Alro can aware this issue.

Henrysky
Star
Star

Same issue from Dec 13th,2022, Nothing gets recorded on the local USB.

My hardware type VMB4540r3, Firmware on all hubs is 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8, multiple cameras.

Local USB device to record videos.  I do not have a subscription.

DuckingArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Appreciate the prompt response, but not sure what the question is. UI = User Interface? I gave the build number and referenced both android and Google Play. Arlo made a few changes recently to the software. Since Arlo isn't supporting non-subscribers anymore, this is the only channel to notify Arlo of continued issues with their software. I am requesting roll-back of the currently available Arlo app to the version that immediately preceded it.

Michael_Hull
Guide
Guide

We use our system to monitor the health of our senior cats.  Cameras record the feeding stations and litter boxes. As an example, if we find loose stool in a litter box, we can quickly determine who has the problem, and start giving treatment.

The many recordings that take place each day consume several gigabytes.  Uploading to the cloud is not realistic in our case since (1) our cable connection is slow (5 megabytes per minute for upload), and (2) we do not have an unlimited data plan.  I would cost us hundreds of dollars per month in data usage overage charges from  our internet provider.

If Arlo is listening, I would be willing to get a subscription to keep local recording working.  However, the subscription must NOT send anything to the cloud.

Henrysky
Star
Star

Thanks, I did everything.

But, it still can not record locally.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You got it - user interface. There's no official way of rolling back the app. The current version of the app can display in two different ways, depending on whether you're a new user or have either a security system or Pro 5 camera. That display and how to get around in it is totally different from the old interface, hence the question.

Anyways, the only official method for bugs is to wait for the next app release. 

BillyBobJoe
Initiate
Initiate

As seen in other discussions, I am getting the 'Videos on this hub are not available. Please check your network.' All of the settings are correct and I can still download and view recordings from 2 days ago. I also have the settings set where old recordings will be overwritten by new ones, so it should not be a case of no more storage. This is a VMB5000r5 unit and it is on the latest firmware version.

I do not subscribe to the Arlo services, it is all local. This issue started on 12/13 and I checked for app updates (none), deleted and reinstalled the app, disconnected and reconnected network cable to the hub, rebooted the hub, etc. I know there are recordings available as I did receive multiple alerts where the camera was triggered. 

One last thing, when I click the 'more info' on the error, it brings me to a page trying to make me subscribe instead of providing any helpful information.

swordfish7
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I have an Arlo System which consists of a VMB4540r3 base station that has four Arlo Pro 4 (H4) cameras connected to it.  In this System, I also have an Arlo wired doorbell (1.2).  For several months now, I have been successfully recording/saving to my local as opposed to the cloud and everything was working fine.   I also added a new Arlo Pro 4 (H4) camera last week which is on the trial.

A short while (say about eight days) after adding the new camera, the recordings from the original devices are no longer being saved locally (or anywhere at all) anymore.  Only the recordings from the new camera are being recorded / saved.  I have been in contact with Support but haven't progressed based on their suggestions.  They mentioned that they would send me instructions on how to get the logs, but am still waiting on this.  I have also tried to reset the devices, base station as well as formatting my USB to which I am storing the recordings - but all to no avail. 

Would appreciate any help anyone can offer in helping to resolve this issue.

Thanks...... 

Sanon
Guide
Guide

I wonder if this is a more widespread issue? 

My cameras are now essentially worthless without local recording. I am not interested in getting Arlos subscription plan.

I got these from Costco last month and am considering returning these if this does not get fixed soon.

I wonder if Arlo support actively looks at posts from this forum and fixes issues reported by users..

Henrysky
Star
Star

Same issue

BillyBobJoe
Initiate
Initiate

It is possible I am seeing the same issue. I didn't notice anyone mention the 'videos on this hub are not available' message, but I do have the latest firmware version. 

Leo888
Star
Star

My Smart Hub stopped working from 13-Dec-2022. The videos were not saved into Smart Hub SD card. Also, the notification became too often now. It is too annoying that I got 4 notification within 30 seconds...

I restarted it but still the same issue. The outdoor floodlight cannot reconnect now. The 2 indoor cam and doordell can be live-viewed but no video can be saved. I have no change in network and subscription. 

Any known issue? or firmware update?

ed2028
Star
Star

I did have the same message, but then it went away after killing the app on the phone and restarting it. Then it was just an empty page.

Sanon
Guide
Guide

Same issue here. Tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the forums. 

In addition I performed a factory reset of the base and added two cameras back to the base.

Still doesn’t work.

Arlo support - please fix this. My cameras are useless without local recording. 

Leo888
Star
Star

same issue here

Leo888
Star
Star
CodyG
Tutor
Tutor

After the latest update (1.20.4.0_1367_38740e8) to my base station (VMB5000r6) I'm unable to see ANY videos in my library! This just happened the other night.

Also to note, the app updated as well to (4.0.2.1_28506) on the same day. Using Galaxy S20+ using newest android update (updated yesterday as a matter of fact).

Something broke my ability to record any videos.  To note I do not use a subscription, I use a 1TB SD card and record locally and VPN is also setup for viewing my library outside of my network.

No changes have been made neither.  To also note that once I hit my 30 days, I've been having to redo my setup. 

For example after I hit 30 days my base station stops recording videos for some reason. I understand you only get 30 days of "viewing" in the app, however why can the base station take up to a 2TB card and yet after 30 days (around 12gb) of that 2tb card has been used?

I have to remove the SD card and copy/paste the 30 days worth of videos onto another drive just so I can reformat the card and start another 30 days.

Why can't there be a function to remove those 30 days (from the app) before having to start fresh every 30 days with your library.  This is another issue I'm having..

As far as troubleshooting went, I redid everything trying to get this to work and nothing has.

Went on my account and erased and reset all my products base station and 2 ultra 4k cameras, tried logging out and back into app, deleted and reinstalled app, did hard reset on base station, formatted SD card, and nothing has fixed it. 

I suspect the updates killed it again.. if it's not an update that screws it up, it's the 30 day issue as explained above that I'm always having to screw with..

Getting really tired of my Arlo Ultra products. Thinking about Eufy cameras instead for the future as I'm tired of always having to screw with this POS. 

Sanon
Guide
Guide

Also my base station model is VMB4540. Apparently the recent update that caused this issue is affecting multiple base station models

YsB
Tutor
Tutor

My system includes 2 smart Hubs (VMB5000) connected to Ultra 2 cams. Downloaded last Arlo application version few days ago. Two days ago at the same time both Hubs stopped local recording. Cannot see or access recorded files (via phone direct access or via PC reading). Anything else looks fine. tried out all known / suggested steps to fix this. It looks like ARLO last updates/upgrades have messed up again.  Please provide an immediate fix.

This problem happened before Last June, see fix by:   Shayne S - Arlo Moderator - 2020-06-01 11:02 AM.

MrPeaBody
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue. 

This is engaging!

thor_ultra2
Guide
Guide

Hi Folks,

After I updated my App (iPhone user), my Smart Hub no longer records locally, as of Dec 13, 2022. I am not sure why? I conducted both hard and soft resets of my Smart Hub, and reformatted my SD flash memory card, but nothing seems to work. I checked all the firmware across my camera and Smart Hub, and everything is updated.  I also check to see whether my SD memory card is good, and it looks fine.

I don't understand why an App update could/would impact the recording between the camera and the Smart Hub. I believe the App is a way to access the information (application layer), while the firmware determines the interoperability between Cameras and Hub. Or maybe this is just a coincidence?

Any help would be appreciated!

Best

THOR_ULTRA2