Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No longer recording locally as of last night.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The firmware fix for this issue is now available. Please restart your Base Station/SmartHub to receive the update. It may take a few minutes after the restart for your system to complete the firmware installation.

Alternatively, you will automatically receive the firmware update overnight.

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue.

Firmware version with the fix (reference your base station/SmartHub model VMBXXXX)

VMB5000-1.20.4.1_1373_d606780
VMB4540-1.20.4.1_1311_d606780
VMB4500-1.20.4.1_4079_d606780
VMB4000-1.20.4.1_4214_d606780

JamesC

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
Jozwiak
Initiate
Initiate

I have arlo pro 4 cameras and essential doorbell connected thru the VMB4540 smart hub. I have had very little issues with local recording activities while the system is armed until 12/6. My last recording is at 2:11am and haven’t received a recording since. I still get push notified of activity.  I have good Wi-Fi connection. I’ve restarted my router and base hub. I’ve ejected the usb and reconnected. Verified all the local recording settings are correct for hub and cameras while armed.  The cameras work live stream just fine. Also lastly, I AM still able to view all of my past local recordings via the app, the issue is that it has STOPPED creating new recordings.  I know a new version of the app recently downloaded, but I do not remember exactly when it updated on my iPhone… help please!  This is driving me crazy for 5 days now!  

5ABB7FE2-8680-449A-B225-36E0D477949F.png

tvl
Tutor
Tutor

I'm using the Arlo Ultra Cameras & VMB5000 Hub  -  my issue is as follows:

1)  Up until the newest Arlo Secure App was installed on my phone approximately 1.5 weeks ago, my system was functioning flawlessly!

2) I'm not sure if the new App created my issue OR if it was just a coincidence, but now my cameras will still send a message to my iphone alerting me of "motion detected", but nothing gets sent/written to the SD card inside the hub. 

3) I can remove the SD card from the hub and put it in my PC as well AND there is nothing on the SD card. 

I do NOT have an Arlo subscription at this time and I haven't had one for at least 3 years. But, during the past 3 years, I have been able to view video clips of "motion detected" from my cameras from the hubs SD card. Has Arlo implemented changes to customers like myself who do not use an Arlo subscription in an attempt to get us to pay for a subscription just so that we can get this functionality returned???? If that is the case, what a rip off!!!!!!!

Michael_Hull
Guide
Guide

I have three hubs (Hardware type VMB4540r2) and multiple cameras connected to them.  I have been using this setup for several years.

Firmware on all hubs is 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8.

Each hub has a local USB device to record videos.  I do not have a subscription.

This morning I noticed that the last recording on all three hubs was about 3 AM.  This is not normal, so I checked the cameras, and found that nothing will record on any of them.  Using the app on my phone I walk in front of a camera.  The app shows the camera recording for about 1 second, and then stops.  In a dark area, the spotlight turns on for about 1 second and then stops.  Nothing gets recorded on the local USB.

I did a reset on all three hubs, no change.

I ejected the USB devices and re-inserted.  The app shows the USB devices are inserted and have multiple Gigs of available space.  Still no change.

My guess is that the hub firmware was updated overnight, and there is a bug.

Because I do not have a subscription, I am unable to communicate directly with Arlo tech support, and the Chat Bot can not understand my problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Is there a way to send this problem description to tech support?

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd try a few things.

- Reboot your router and hubs, in that order.

- Reinsert a battery in a camera to see if that makes a difference.

- Try toggling modes - use the Armed mode since that should always work.

Michael_Hull
Guide
Guide

Pulled power from router, then back on, waited for router to be fully operational.

Pulled power from hub, then back on, waited for hub to be fully operational.

Opened app, walked in front of camera.  Camera shows recording for 1 second.

Pulled battery from camera, then reinserted.  Waited for camera to be connected.

Tested.  App shows camera goes into record mode for about 1 second then off.

Set mode to disarmed, waited a few seconds, then set mode to armed.

Tested. App still shows camera going into record mode for 1 second then off.

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem happened to me today
I think the problem is general and caused by a technical failure from the company

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem happened to me today.
I think the problem is general and caused by a technical failure from the company.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tvl,

No changes have been made to the existing functionality of local storage. Try setting up local storage again using these instructions: https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-device-using-my-Arlo-base...

JamesC

JeffRand
Star
Star

Okay, so I think I found the problem. The firmware was updated last night on the VMB5000 and this apparently has broken local recordings. 

Here is the link to the firmware change log.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-SmartHub-VMB5000-1-20-4-0-1367-38740e8-12-... 

It only mentions bug fixes. But, it introduced a new bug! How in the world am I supposed to make ARLO aware of this? Do they even read this board? This is extremely frustrating as I have paid them hundreds of dollars for this setup and they are the ones that have broken it. 

If someone has a way to contact an Arlo engineer, please help!

Swarnes
Star
Star

I have the same problem and it also just started today. I have the VMB5000 and 5 ultra2 cameras they will not record to the base station and I also do not have a plan. I am just looking for answers,

Swarnes
Star
Star

I also received this firmware update. It caused my system to stop recording locally also.

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here !

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

same here

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have three cameras on the Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub System. Always used a USB drive to store and view recordings.  As of this morning no new recordings on the USB drive which is plugged into the SmartHub.  I get motion alerts but no video records.  Arlo Tech support had me upgrade to the new Version 4 user interface, which I do not like, also reset the SmartHub and re-added my cameras just like a new system set up.  Still no videos being recorded to USB drive.  Did like three hours of chat with Arlo support and they gave up and said they would get back to me via email.  Case number for reference: 43265471.

This really stinks.  System of no value now 1.5 years later.  Anyone had this issue?

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

The new SmartHub software update released by the company yesterday has stopped local recording

There is no solution yet and the company does not know what the problem is

Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 - 1.20.4.0_1367_38740e8 - 12 December 2022

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-SmartHub-VMB5000-1-20-4-0-1367-38740e8-12-...

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh great.  My issue started before upgrading to the new user interface or SmartHub software what ever they are calling it.  How do you know this?  From your own experience?  Thank you.

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice
tvl
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks JamesC  !!!!

Your suggestion did not help!  Any other ideas??

Things were AND have functioned flawlessly for the past 3 years or more  ........ at least that was the case until I updated my phone app to the latest version (4.0.2)

This might possibly be a coincidence, but I'm not completely convinced. Has Arlo support VERIFIED this is not the case? It's a shame it's so difficult to get assistance with Arlo equipment UNLESS one has an Arlo subscription. 

JeffRand
Star
Star

I've done all that and more. The fact that there are multiple users complaining about this immediately after the firmware update was pushed out clearly indicates a bug was introduced in the new firmware. For goodness sake, can someone please report this to the technical team at ARLO? I am left completely without any security recordings in a high crime neighborhood and I need these cameras to be working. Stop wasting time and roll back the firmware until you all figure out how you screwed it up.

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

The new SmartHub software update released by the company yesterday has stopped local recording

There is no solution yet and the company does not know what the problem is

Arlo SmartHub VMB5000 - 1.20.4.0_1367_38740e8 - 12 December 2022

look here

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra-2/VMB5000-no-longer-recording-locally-as-of-last-night/m-p/...

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem here also.  Cameras stopped recording locally.  Wiped the uSD card, rebooted and reset the routers, but was unable to resolved the problem.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same issue here.  Mine started at around 4AM on 12-13-2022.  This is terrible.  Arlo should give us all free subscriptions till they fix this.

dbucko
Initiate
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue.  VMB4540r2 base station, firmware version  1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8.  Stopped recording videos locally TODAY.  Have been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out for a few hours.  reformatted usb device, tried a different device, removed and re-added a camera or two...  same results as others have seen here.  Everything "looks" normal.  Just wont save any recordings.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same issue here as you with same equipment.  Arlo needs to fix this quickly.  From the support chats I have had with them today none of them brought this up.  I hope they know about it.
My equipment that has been affected.  This is so wrong.
Firmware 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8
Hardware VMB4540r2