Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Push To Talk Not Working After Updating to ios 11..3

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Prior to updating our phones to iOS 11.3 all functions including the push to talk feature through the camera’s speaker were working properly. I had updated my phone yesterday but had not tried the Arlo app until today. When my wife got home today we tried the app on her phone and the push to talk feature worked properly. We then updated her phone to 11.3 and tried the app afterwards. All the icons are present and we get the push button icon but it no longer functions to get any sound through the camera speaker. I used the chat function here to notify Netgear and I posted a review on the Apple App Store that the update causes a problem with this function. 

187 REPLIES 187
Gbit
Initiate
Initiate
I have iPhone X updated to iOS 11.3.1 and the audio is not working. Bought the camera yesterday and I returned it today. So disappointed!!! Seems that Arlo has been having problems with iOS for some time.
CJR81
Tutor
Tutor
I just confirmed that it must be an Apple IOS problem. I took my ipad2 and tried it out, and it worked. My iphone 8s plus, did not. The ipad2 has an old ios and sometime after I too updated my iphone to 11.3.1, the ptt feature stopped working. Hope this gets fixed very soon. This was a huge selling point. Netgear needs to talk with Apple about a solution ASAP!
Wailex
Tutor
Tutor
This seems to be the feature that is bugging the system for iPhone users. I hope the developers will sit up and take note . All other features appear ok
Jiminator
Tutor
Tutor

Also, just wanted to be clear here, the Arlo App on my Fire Phone works fine.  Even the 2-way talk feature works on my Fire Phone.  Just can’t get notifications.  Very weird.  So I have a phone that’s works with 2-way talk, but can’t get notifications and I have another phone and iPad that gets notifications but no 2-way talk.

FGIOVINGO
Initiate
Initiate

Does NETGEAR CARE ONCE THE SALES WAS MADE?

i had three friends that were using me before they purchased, they will not buy till fix is done.

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I’m not happy about this either but I’m assuming Netgear is waiting till 11.4 is released which should resolve this. I’ve been very happy with my Q until this. I hope this will not repeat with the next iOS update. And if anyone from Netgear support is reading these posts you really should be posting an update to the status of this. If I were considering a purchase I’d be looking elsewhere by now. Makes me question my plan to purchase an Orbi router. I’ve been following that thread also. 

brh
Master
Master

@bikegear

It is debateable if Apple or Arlo bricked it, but in my case it happened as soon as I updated my iPhone 6 to IOS 11.3. I am patiently waiting a fix as I have had no problems out of my Arlo cameras for 3 years except for this bug.

BTW, I just purchased and installed the Orbi system and it is awesome.

Brian

Jims06524
Guide
Guide
I’m
Bringing my 8 cams back to Bestbuy tomorrow. Screw this
Joetmurf1
Guide
Guide

I bought 5 Arlo Q’s four weeks ago but didn’t keep the boxes.  Best Buy won’t take them back.  This really sucks - not even the courtesy of status updates. Horrible customer service.   

Mark92223
Tutor
Tutor
Still not resolved for me. It’s been weeks and when I spoke to support they said give them a couple days and they’d have a fix
speedracer43
Apprentice
Apprentice

Put another one in the me-to column. Works fine using an iPhone 6 runniung 10.3.3, but my iPhone X running 11.3.1 does NOT work. Makes me upset spending the amount of money on an Arlo system and having a  key feature not work, or I should say stop working. The  cheap Wyze Cam v2's work perfectly with push-to-talk. I expect more from Netgear. Like others, I will think twice  about purchasing other Netgear products. I already canceled an Orbi system for two homes. Come on Netgear, talk to us at least. 

Mark92223
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah,. this we apologize for the inconvenience stuff doesn't exactly resolve much. Same with the ol engineering staff is working to resolve the issue. Really? Netgear needs to stop claiming this is a feature and start from scratch or do something to try to keep the customers that haven't already gone elsewhere. My engineering staff will be working on a refund

adraper12
Star
Star
One would think they would send out an explanation email like they did for when they had the system down for 5 minuets the other night. Very frustrating.
Vp1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello if you hi to the primary user account you have to allow guest access for the mic to show up for the guest Go to the primary user settings and grant access.
bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

@adraper12 wrote:
One would think they would send out an explanation email like they did for when they had the system down for 5 minuets the other night. Very frustrating.

Purely speculation on my part but I believe iOS 11.4 is imminent. There will also be watch and tvOS releases as well. That should resolve our problems here. But you are correct, the lack of response from Netgear is not what I would term good customer service. At a bare minimum an email should be sent out advising those who have yet to update to 11.3 to not do so. 

However since other camera systems, Wyze has been mentioned, were not affected by this, there should have been some clue by now as to what the fallibility is in the Netgear app. There will be future iOS updates, this should not happen again. I’ve always admired the Netgear products I’ve used but the push to talk feature was at least 50% of the reason I bought the camera and has left me looking at alternatives for future product purchases. 

Joetmurf1
Guide
Guide

I did the update to 11.3.1.  No change.  Arlo push to talk still not work.  There was no Arlo updated App though.  Perhaps one is coming?  

This is is terrible.  

Mark92223
Tutor
Tutor

Oh, like they sais 3 weeks ago? That update that was 2 to 3 days away. Tick tick tick

bp1892
Initiate
Initiate

do yourself a favor--just pickup an Amazon Cloud Cam--it works perfectly, out of the box with about 4 minutes of setup and a fraction of the price

the pricepoint of this product is insane relative to the support and sense of urgency around this issue--major selling point but it doesn't work.  

Reiddg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've read through all of the threads regarding the issue of being unable to speak to anyone using a mobile phone.  I believe all of these were from 2017 and the only actionable advice I found was to delete the Arlo app and reinstall it.  I've done that and I still have the issue.  This fails regardless of using my home WiFi network or on a full cellular signal w/o WiFi.   Two-way conversation works fine when using my Chrome browser on my laptop.

Here are the details:

Arlo 2 Pro

iPhone 7 IOS 11.3.1

Audio is enabled on all cameras

Audio speakers are at 100% on all cameras

Audio on the iPhone is at 100%

Microphone is allowed on the iPhone for Arlo

In the Arlo app:  Microphone is on, search and Siri is on, Notifications are on (all), Background app refresh is on, cellular data is on.

Selecting Live on the camera and then clicking microphone and holding the button to speak does not allow the listener to hear me.   I can hear them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dennis

Joetmurf1
Guide
Guide

Two days in a row got calls from supervisors at Netgear support.  No answers, will not provide refunds, no estimates on a fix.  This has been over a month now. 

If you are reading this board and considering an Arlo camera and you need push to talk with an Apple device - don’t buy Arlo!!!!!

Mark92223
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah, I'd say poor support but more like non-existent. Now looking for 4 more cameras. Can't believe Netgear doesn't even send out an email. Even if it's bs like the way they continue to sell the Q with push to talk. What a waste of money. Good thing is their "Engineering Department" is working on it. I'm starting to think there is no such department

alanpotter
Aspirant
Aspirant

can't get push to talk to work

Paul23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I dude my 5pro 2 cameras Will not work on push to talk I am in Dallas Texas
ChrisRon
Initiate
Initiate

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? My push to talk works when I log into my account through my laptop but it doesn't work on my phone app. App, device's firmware and iPhone 8 plus are all up to date. I can hear audio from the camera to my phone but when I hold the talk button, my voice can't be heard through the camera. I need it to work on my phone - it's more convenient than logging into my laptop and speaking through there. Someone please help!

Abaum
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have not been able to use two way voice since my iPhone updated to 11.3.1 is this problem going to be fixed soon? We just got our cameras up. The voice control worked when we first got them and testing them around the house.