Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ArloQ no video on live view, multiple devices and browsers

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
jspot55
Aspirant
Aspirant

When trying to use live view on my ArloQ, about 75% of the time I get no video after pushing play. You can hear the sound, and the video options at the bottom of the picture show up (pause, take screenshot etc), but it is just a black screen. This is on multiple devices (Windows 10 PC, Macbook, Samsung S6, iPhone 6s) using both the app and the website. Also tried chrome and firefox, all adblocks/tracker blockers off. If I push pause/play enough times, eventually I will get a video. When it is a black screen, if i push pause, the screenshot showing the last action is uptodate, so clearly this is a player issue rather than a camera issue. Is there a way to resolve this?

Thank you!

25 REPLIES 25
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure Flash is correctly turned on... black screen is usu a flash issue

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jspot55
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the help Tom. I am not sure it's flash though, because the same issue occurs across devices and browsers (including Arlo app itself) , and fixes itself without intervention on my part by pausing and playing the live stream.
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@jspot55 wrote:

When trying to use live view on my ArloQ, about 75% of the time I get no video after pushing play. You can hear the sound, and the video options at the bottom of the picture show up (pause, take screenshot etc), but it is just a black screen. This is on multiple devices (Windows 10 PC, Macbook, Samsung S6, iPhone 6s) using both the app and the website. Also tried chrome and firefox, all adblocks/tracker blockers off. If I push pause/play enough times, eventually I will get a video. When it is a black screen, if i push pause, the screenshot showing the last action is uptodate, so clearly this is a player issue rather than a camera issue. Is there a way to resolve this?

Thank you!

Same exact problem here, @jspot55.

I have two ARLO Q cameras - and one of them is only a month old.  (both running FIRMWARE: 1.8.3.2.17494, HARDWARE: VMC 3040r6).

I have several devices, including two iPhone6 cell phones, an iPad mini, as well as a newer 9.7 iPad.

I also have a Windows desktop computer, as well as Windows laptop. Each computer has 3 different browsers - Firefox, Chrome and IE.  While flash is running and updated on my both my Windows systems, flash does NOT run at all on iPhones or iPads, yet I'm having save problem with it bring up a totally BLACK/BLANK screen when I try to view LIVE on ANY device and ANY browser.  It's not a flash problem.

I too, can hear sound only even though there is no live view, and when I click to stop/pause, the most recent image image of what I *should* have seen appears. This has been going on for about a week now.

I have unplugged, then replugged the cameras, as well as removed device and put it back, all to no avail.

NETGEAR:  Was there a recent update to the firmware and/or hardware that could be the cause? I don't remember which hardware or firmware version I had before the one I have now (listed above).

~Susan

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

I meant to add this to my post above....

On the rare occasion I can actually get it to view LIVE on my ARLO Q cameras, I often do not have any sound!  So, it's either I am getting a totally black/blank screen more often than not when trying to view LIVE, or, I'm getting NO SOUND when it finally gives me a live realtime view.

~Susan

Uj1980ct
Guide
Guide
I have same issue across multiple browsers and iOS. Sound and no live video on connection. After trying multiple times, I will eventually end up with a failure to connect and I can’t even remotely restart because it says camera is busy . Since most my alerting cameras are not located where I actually live ; this is posing a real problem. Seem like new problems arise after they solve old problems!
rwinter
Guide
Guide

Same issue with mine here. About 50% of the time I get a black screen for the camera, with working sound. Usually have to pause/resume a few times to get anything working.

Super frustrating.

EZSecurity
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting the exact same problems lately! I think it started within the last week or two, but I'm not 100% sure. The blank video happens more often than not. Is there a resolution for this yet? I bought these cameras for security so this issue is a HUGE problem. Hope Arlo can fix this very soon!

jspot55
Aspirant
Aspirant

so.... several users with the same concerns, no answers. Does Netgear monitor their forums? 

DominoUK
Star
Star

Same issue here. It's really beginning to piss me off.

And regarding Flash, why hasn't this been updated to HTML5 yet? Is it ever going to?

MacMarbles
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also experiencing this issue. Sound but no video. Super frustrating. 

This Arlo Q has been a huge let down. I wish i could return it and get a nest. Worked great at first but something happened.

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the exact same issue too with the black screen. It's been happening for a few weeks now. Nothing to do with flash as it was working fine for many many months before and my system has never had flash. Must be something to do with the recent updates by Netgear to "fix" things but they ended up breaking something else.

Usually for me if I pause live feed and try again it connects but only after waiting approx 10 seconds for the stream to start the video feed (as audio is usually already started), but sometimes it takes 3 attempts.

It is just another frustration to add to the many others we are plagued with from our Arlo Q cameras.

Hope Netgear get the Q cameras finally fixed and working again, just like they used to do before the devs "upgraded" things and broke everything.
Mamey1
Initiate
Initiate

SAME PROBLEM HERE STARTED RECENTLY... TOTAL SILENCE FROM NETGEAR

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've been monitoring Arlo Q connectivity and i'm not experiencing issues with live streams as described, if you're still experiencing this issue. Please reach out to me in a private message with details and I will assist with opening and escalating a support case.

JamesC

rwinter
Guide
Guide

I opened a case with support on this exact issues. Just got an email saying it has been closed 😞

rwinter
Guide
Guide

Yay, called back and now they are going through the whole power cycle the cameras, reset the cameras, use a different wireless point, etc.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC wrote:

I've been monitoring Arlo Q connectivity and i'm not experiencing issues with live streams as described, if you're still experiencing this issue. Please reach out to me in a private message with details and I will assist with opening and escalating a support case.

JamesC

==============================================

So, @JamesC -   you see the TWO totally BLACK, totally BLANK screens in my screenshot which I just took?
    Each black/blank screen represents each one of my indoor ARLO Q cameras. I get these black/blank screens no matter what device I use to view my ARLO Q's LIve - browsers (Firefox, or Chrome, or Safari on my two Windows systems, both connected via ETHERNET to my modem), or the ARLO app, on my iPad as well as my iPhone, whther at home using my own wi-fi or away from home using my cellular connection).    And yes, ALL my Windows browsers on both my computer systems are fully updated and running the latest browser as well as Flash versions, as is my iOS devices running the latest ARLO app version.
    (BTW, I originally posted in this thread back on 4/22/18 - see: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q/ArloQ-no-video-on-live-view-multiple-devices-and-browsers/m-... ) ...

One ARLO Q camera is only 2 months old!  I bought that camera because up until then, I had no problems with ARLO Q at all. Now, for weeks, I get blank/black screens, more often than not.

Once again @JamesC,  I'm so "happy" for you that YOU never seem to be able to duplicate the same problems with ANY ARLO cams that myself and other frustrated customers experience, no matter how many of us write on these boards asking for help and asking for Netgear to FIX the problems, whether it be an app causing problems, a browser causing problems, the Netgear server causing problems, etc., etc., etc.

James - your app (iOS or Android), your browsers, your cameras (wireless outdoor cams or ARLO Q indoor cams), ALWAYS seem to work PERFECTLY for *YOU* !  If that's the case, I'll gladly have you send me YOUR *perfectly-working* cameras and I'll send you mine that work maybe only 15-20% of the time!!!

And James, just to add: Are you 100% POSITIVE you are actually getting a LIVE streaming view on your ARLO Q cams??
    Because I have noticed that on the RARE occasion that I don't get a black/blank screen, and it actually shows me the rooms the cams are each in, the images is NOT live at all!  It's not STREAMING!
    One cam is on my three birds in one room, and one cam is on my dog in another room.  They look like MANNEQUINS and NONE of them are moving because the LIVE view is not working correctly and not actually streaming!  So, what I had to do to make certain I was actually viewing my pets live when I'm not home, was to put a small alarm clock in each of the rooms so I can actually make certain of the time and that it changes as I am viewing and trying to stream.  More often than not, the time on each clock stays exactly the same, the same way none of my 4 pets are moving or making any sounds, even after viewing for several minutes!  
   Gee, what a way to have to work a SECURITY camera, don't you think?? Oh, but that's right James, YOU don't have these problems (heavy sighs)

My two ARLO Q cameras:
HW Version on both cameras is: VMC3040r6
Firmware Version on both cams is: 1.8.3.2_17494

cc: @ChristineT

jspot55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello James,

I would say over the past week or so I have indeed noticed improvement in my livestreams, so whatever was done in the background appears to be on the right track so i dont need to open a ticket at this time thank you. Although as you will note in this thread, there are many others that have not had their issues resolved.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iSage,

I didn't intend to imply there was no issue simply because I wasn't able to reproduce it. I'm sorry for the poorly executed response.

I understand these occurances are frustrating and the best way for us to find out why it's happening is to see if we can reproduce the same behavior ourselves.

I'll open a ticket on this issue and provide you the ticket information in a private message.

Engineering is currently reviewing these reports.

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC wrote:

iSage,

I didn't intend to imply there was no issue simply because I wasn't able to reproduce it. I'm sorry for the poorly executed response.

I understand these occurances are frustrating and the best way for us to find out why it's happening is to see if we can reproduce the same behavior ourselves.

I'll open a ticket on this issue and provide you the ticket information in a private message.

Engineering is currently reviewing these reports.

JamesC

==========================================

With all due respect @JamesC , you ALWAYS say you "cannot reproduce" on your end no matter what the problem is, no matter which ARLO cam or app is not working - I also went through this with you, as have many others, on the ARLO Wireless message board area for the past 2½ years, ever since I first became an ARLO owner.    Most recently, during the app debacle back in early March, when the updated app literally killed the LIVE STREAMING for dozens and dozens and dozens of ARLO WIRELESS customers for 3 very long WEEKS, until it was finally fixed!  
   And then you always reply back with the same "didn't mean to offend" type reply, when called out on it.
   In any event - why are you first opening a ticket NOW, when there are have been numerous complaints from numerous customers for several weeks now, including from myself 3 weeks ago?
   Why does it always take CONSTANT postings/commentings/relaying the same info and specifics over and over, ad nauseum, till us customers are basically blue in the face from lack of customer concern and support?  Why wasn't a ticket on this matter for those of us who have already posted the problems with ARLO Q,  opened WEEKS ago when this thread started?? The problems NEVER resolve themselves on their own!  Turning a blind eye, ignoring customer posts, or making customers feel like they are the only ones having a problem with ARLO because YOU AREN'T,  does not resolve anything either.
   And is this "ticket" then going to be CLOSED on me, as they did to another customer ( @rwinter) reported in this thread, even though there has been no resolution whatsoever yet?
  The "ticket" is only good if something is actually done, and a resolution is reached. Been down this same road before in the past couple of years dealing with my 3 ARLO Wireless cams.  And did you open a ticket for ALL of us in this thread as well as any other thread where the same problems are reported??
  Thank you for opening the ticket and sending the info to the engineering team, @JamesC , but sorry to say, I am not putting any faith into this ticket/report at this point in time, considering it should have been done at least 3 weeks ago.

c.c: @ChristineT

Uj1980ct
Guide
Guide
I continue to see the black screen on entry from my Dell Pc running windows 10 in both edge and internet explorer connected via Ethernet. . But usually not from iOS phone or iPad. . However, the issue is intermittent. And will often let me see the live transmission after multiple tries.
Plus the video clips often freeze video and continue to play sounds.
these issues have been around for quite awhile now , and sadly, I have come to expect this level of performance.
jwikoff
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problems.  I often get no video until pushing Play several times, if at all.  The audio is there though.  It happens on my laptop using Chrome or IE, on my android phone, on by android tablet.  In the app or in a browser, same thing.  It's really frustrating.

jspot55
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi again,

The black screen video issue has returned with a vengeance this week, using either browser on pc/Mac or the app in Android and iPhone.
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@jspot55 wrote:
Hi again,

The black screen video issue has returned with a vengeance this week, using either browser on pc/Mac or the app in Android and iPhone.

Hi @jspot55 🙂  

You say your issues returned, but mine never went away 😞

I have a case opened with Netgear, and been told for a couple of weeks now, that Netgear is aware of the blank/black screen problems and their "engineers" are working to fix it.

Notice how I put the word "engineers" in quotes - It shouldn't takes months or even weeks to FIX a problem. BUT ... Netgear is too busy pushing out NEW products, rather than to FIX the ones they are selling to the public at the moment. 

I have 2 ARLO Q's with this black/blank screen problem, at least 75-80% of the time when trying to view Live/Streaming. On the rare ocassion it actually doesn't give the dreaded black/blank screen, the darn image is FROZEN and not streaming at all!  So, I went to Amazon and for less than a total of $50.00, I bought two inexpensive indoor video cams  - they both work FLAWLESSLY!!!!  The very second I hit their app icon on either my iPhone or iPad (whether at home using my wi-fi connection, or away from home using my cellular service), or bring them up in ANY web browser , BOTH the cams come up with no waiting (like ARLO Q does), no spinning cog wheel (like ARLO Q does), no "Timed Out" message, etc., and I am able to both view AND hear my pets in real time, with NO lags whatsoever (like ARLO Q has!). 

~Susan

jwikoff
Tutor
Tutor

Which cameras did you get?