Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Push To Talk Not Working After Updating to ios 11..3

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Prior to updating our phones to iOS 11.3 all functions including the push to talk feature through the camera’s speaker were working properly. I had updated my phone yesterday but had not tried the Arlo app until today. When my wife got home today we tried the app on her phone and the push to talk feature worked properly. We then updated her phone to 11.3 and tried the app afterwards. All the icons are present and we get the push button icon but it no longer functions to get any sound through the camera speaker. I used the chat function here to notify Netgear and I posted a review on the Apple App Store that the update causes a problem with this function. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the Arlo mobile app is available for download on the iOS app store that should address this issue. Please make sure to download the latest version and let us know if you are still experiencing an issue with push to talk.

Release Notes - iOS App 2.5.1 - 23rd May 2018

JamesC

View solution in original post

187 REPLIES 187
bikegear
Luminary
Luminary
I’ve had this work before from outside the house, once. But I’m trying to verify it while I’m home now and I can’t hear anything from the speaker after I’ve spoken into my iPhone 8+ and released the button. I’ve unplugged the camera, quit the Arlo app, and rebooted everything but still cannot hear anything. All other functions are normal. I can hear sounds from the camera on my phone just fine. But when I speak nothing. Are there other measures I can take to resolve this?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Verify that mic permissions are allowed in the app settings for the phone. A reinstall of the app may be needed.

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the reply. But should you be able to hear the speaker when you’re near the camera while speaking into the phone when using the on screen button? When I release the button I hear what I’ve said but it’s from my phone not the camera. The camera’s microphone picked up what I said and just feeds it back to the phone through the app. This made me think that this function doesn’t work properly when you’re near the camera on the same WiFi network. I’m just not clear how this is supposed to work and how to tell if it is without having someone else in the house while I try speaking from outside the house. 

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Well I found the problem. When my wife got home we used her phone and app to access the speaker on the camera and it worked perfectly. However her phone had not yet been updated to the newly released iOS 11.3. I updated mine yesterday. As soon as we updated her phone the 2 way speaker function did not work. So the problem is with the new iOS update and Netgear will have to resolve this. I’m going to post a new topic with this as the subject. Does anyone know how to directly notify Netgear?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Feedback can be a problem but, yes, you should be able to hear it from the camera. Just for grins, have you tried from a computer?

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Haven’t used a computer because that would defeat the purpose of the camera for us. But this does seem to be an iOS 11.3 issue. Both of our devices worked properly before and 10 minutes afterwards it did not work on my wife’s phone. I updated yesterday but had not tried the app until today. I have done a chat with one of their people and posted a review on the App Store warning about installing 11.3. Hopefully Netgear and Apple can get this resolved quickly. 

Right before updating my wife’s phone we tried the function from inside the room where the camera is located. Worked perfectly and the volume was great. After 11.3, dead!  Everything else still works perfectly though. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The use of a computer doesn't negate anything - it's a troubleshooting step, just like using a different phone, reinstalling the app, etc. It does sound like an OS-specific issue, though, as you're experiencing.

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I didn’t mean that it would negate anything. It would probably work, although there was also a macOS update as well, our computers are MacBook Pros. So there might be an issue there as well. But even if it did work it would be irrelevant. We would never be using the camera this way. If it doesn’t work on iOS then I would have to replace it. 

We had mainly been using using it to monitor our dog when we’re out of our apartment. If she was barking and howling I could use the push to talk from my phone to yell at her and get her to stop. It worked very well. Now I can’t do that. Hopefully they’ll patch this or I’ll be looking at another camera system. 

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
My 5 camera Arlo Pro 2 system is great, but the push to talk feature is a definite fail, it rarely works. Maybe 20% of the connection attempts actually transmit my voice to the camera speakers. Anyone else find this to be true?
Paul23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem and I do not know How to fix it
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bikegear,

Have you also updated the Arlo mobile app to version 2.4.8 ?

JamesC

Linda24
Guide
Guide

Linda24
Guide
Guide

Any luck with this issue? im in the same boat and have been in it for 2 weeks! (which is when i first installed my cameras. =(

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Yes.

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

Netgear support is aware. But it has been only since Friday with the iOS 11.3 update. Before that this all worked perfectly. 

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I have all the latest updates, including iOS which caused the problem. I was contacted by Netgear support. She was going to try to replicate it on an iPad that had not yet been updated to 11.3. If she sees the same issue afterwards she will push this out to engineering. I'm assuming there is a glitch in the new software that doesnt allow the Arlo app to access the microphone on the phone even though the settings for this are enabled. All other functions of the app work correctly.

adraper12
Star
Star
I’m having the same problems with the Arlo Baby and the Pro2
bikegear
Luminary
Luminary
Did the problem occur after the 11.3 iOS update for you? They’re trying to replicate the issue now. If it did it would help if you call into their support people. I was told they didn’t yet have reports of this. But 11.3 only came out Friday.
adraper12
Star
Star
Yes it did. Do you have a specific number I should call
bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I'm having a lot of trouble posting on this forum tonight. I've posted a reply with phone numbers and a case number at least 3 times and they disappear each time. I hope you can see it.

adraper12
Star
Star
No it’s not showing up
bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

They keep disappearing on me. I'm using my Apple laptop now and the same thing is happening. It looks like the posts without the phone numbers are sticking. I might try again with another browser. This isn't working well in Safari.

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I tried it again in Firefox but that doesnt work. It must be the numbers that are the problem. Do you know how to post phone numbers on here and have them show up? I've posted now 5 or 6 times and none of them appear once i leave the page. The post initially appears on my page but if I leave and reload it, the post os gone.

crazyitalian
Guide
Guide
Same issue. Been having this issue on iOS 11.3 betas and still exists 11.4 beta. Sometimes I can go into privacy setting and toggle off and back on Arlo for the microphone and it fixes. Other times it doesn’t. Arlo Pro 2 and Arlo Baby.