Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ordinary1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi All.

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

Since the early hours of yesterday morning (25th April) UK time all of my Arlo Pro cameras have been suffering from extreme pixelation in both live view and motion detection recordings. The location of the cameras and base station have not changed for months.

The base station is VMB4000r3 on firmware 1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

The four cameras are version H8 1.092.0.25_24_986

The pixelated video is also present on local USB storage suggesting a local issue.

I have checked WiFi strength using an analyser and all is good. All cameras have three bars in the Arlo app.

One of the cameras is within ten feet of the base station with no obstructions and is suffering the same.

I have noticed that a camera firmware update was issued in the last few days. Are there any known problems that could have caused such a drastic change in system performance?

530 REPLIES 530
jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

"..Since Arlo needs cloud server space (the only logical reason they'd increase the compression a ridiculous amount), let us all utilize local storage instead. I'm more than happy to give you back your cloud storage in return, and I bet there are many others like me..."

Amen to that. Let me switch over to strictly local storage - I have no need to use server space.
Just don't force me to throw away $1,000 worth of hardware that has now been rendered useless as a security system.

At least give us some options here.
Otherwise I see legal problems and a lot of bad press in Arlo's near future...

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Release Details:

Arlo Pro Basestation - VMB4000 1.16.1.3_3394_1a608c1

Highlights:
• Bug fixes   <--  Which one? I don't see it. 

• Bugs Added & Ongoing  <--- Must be this one. Right Arlo? 

Arlo Pro Basestation - VMB4000 1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c  <-- This however worked. Pls. put this back

Highlights:

Enable Pro 3 camera support Homekit
- Video Doorbell support for onboarding and operation
- Fix for HomeKit streaming and alerts
- Bug Fixes and Base-Station stability fixes

damman900
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wife noticed this distorted video happening for the last week or so in both of our cameras. Tried rebooting the base station, haven't moved the set location of these cameras since installation in 2 years let alone experienced this pixelation/scrambled looking video & the situation now out of the clear blue sky begins to have this issue.

Base Firmware is:  1.16.1.3_3394_1a608c1

Camera 1 Firmware is:  1.092.0.25_24_986

Camera 2 Firmware is:   1.092.0.25_24_986

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@damman900 wrote:

My wife noticed this distorted video happening for the last week or so in both of our cameras. Tried rebooting the base station, haven't moved the set location of these cameras since installation in 2 years let alone experienced this pixelation/scrambled looking video & the situation now out of the clear blue sky begins to have this issue.

Base Firmware is:  1.16.1.3_3394_1a608c1

Camera 1 Firmware is:  1.092.0.25_24_986

Camera 2 Firmware is:   1.092.0.25_24_986

Same base firmware I have but my cameras are 1.125.14.0_34_1189 don't know why there not the same I have pro 2 cameras. Still waiting on a PM response from CEO Matt McRae but iam not holding my breath.

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same base firmware version on my VMB4000r3.  My Pro 2 firmware is 1.125.14.0_34_1189, Pro firmware is 1.092.0.25_24_986

I believe both the base and camera firmware was updated for me on or around April 25.  I wonder which firmware change (base or camera) messed things up?  Or was it both together?

Ordinary1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Firstly, @JessicaP thank you for finally providing a link directly to Arlo staff. I do hope you continue to keep us updated as that would be much appreciated.

Re. The complex scenes argument, my cameras have been in the same place for two years. The scenes are no more complex than they were when I had a fully working system that I was happy with.

@alchemist50 I believe it’s the 986 camera firmware that is the issue (for Pro VMC4030 cameras at least).

My picture quality decreased when this was released.

An earlier poster suggested the compression happens in camera and 986 is camera firmware so this adds up for me.

Local storage could work if Arlo provide access to the USB via the app. However this would be a very clear breach of the cloud storage advertised with the product, and probably even more risky for them.

As it is the camera that compresses the video, whatever it sends to the base station is what can then go to both USB and cloud. You can’t have different quality between local and cloud without the base station being capable of video compression and I doubt it has the hardware for that.

On a slightly more positive note, I have had a response from support, after following up on three occasions, saying that “our software engineers are currently handling the issue” with a link to this forum thread (!) Whether that is true I do not know, there was no timescale provided for resolution.
kstrike155
Tutor
Tutor

@Ordinary1 that is very encouraging that engineering is working through a fix.

And, just to maybe lighten the mood a bit...

Arlo be like:

thedeal.jpeg

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, Thank You @Ordinary1 for your thoughts.  Very much reflects my impressions.  Encouraging news about a possible (?) fix.

If cloud storage is truly their issue, and our cameras are doing the compression, I wonder if they would be able to do the compression on their end.  Then, we might be able to have HD local storage, but more compressed cloud files.  But then, it might require more processing than their servers can handle.

TerryHoss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I hope that Arlo comes up with something quick that works. If it is a cloud server storage issue that’s all on Arlo not me.

Arlo sold me a system and made promises on free cloud storage and on video quality. At this point it’s my opinion that they are in breach of that promise. The fact that they offered to sell it to me with those promises and I paid them in my mind is a contract for service paid in advance.

TechJohn
Guide
Guide

Arlo has steadily degraded our systems (video quality, no more preview in email, etc.) over the last couple of years so I have zero expectations that they will respond to our complaints and fix this. I have filed a BBB complaint and am ready to pursue legal action should they not refund my purchase price. Amazingly, if you look on Amazon, the Pro 2 is rated 4 stars with 7900 reviews. The Ultra is PC Mags #1 pick. We collectively need to do more to get the word out about how bad these systems are and how poor Arlo support is. I will begin to post negative reviews.

CB74
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have the same problem as well. 

I did a chat session with support and it did not go well. 

I gave them model. version and firmware version etc. Let them know that I had rebooted my isp modem, my router and the arlo base in that order with no luck and that I also have the unit plugged into a UPS with filtering. 

I let them know that the wirless signal to each camera was good etc. 

Their solution was to change the wireless channel on my router. This is the craziest thing yet.  Seeing that my Arlo base is plugged into the gig port on the back of the router (hardwired not wirless). Furthermore, if arlo pro 2 cameras connected to my router via wireless, why would I need the base? Next thing I suppose they will tell me is that all of them connect to 127.0.0.1 for the ip address. (If you don't get it, look it up). 

I'm waiting for a decent firmware update, or a valid technical response. This said, I wouldn't waste time with their chat service. 

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Quidge wrote:

@ShayneS 

Read the posts, listen to your customers. This isn't a case of needing a reboot or moving cameras closer to the router. Your latest firmware screwed up quality. Own it and commit to fixing it.

I'm selling mine and will never recommend them again. It's appalling that a company can treat its customers like this.

Major complaints over the Arlo pro thread but most have the pro 2 as I do with the issue. https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Video-Pixelation-after-firmware-update-Pro-VMB4000r3-1-16-1-1...

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Still no replys from the mods, admins, employees or CEO about this issue but Jesscia did come in but with no info on getting this fixed.

Retired_Member
Not applicable
If your looking for a fix or attention it is going to take legal action
silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@TechJohn wrote:

Arlo has steadily degraded our systems (video quality, no more preview in email, etc.) over the last couple of years so I have zero expectations that they will respond to our complaints and fix this. I have filed a BBB complaint and am ready to pursue legal action should they not refund my purchase price. Amazingly, if you look on Amazon, the Pro 2 is rated 4 stars with 7900 reviews. The Ultra is PC Mags #1 pick. We collectively need to do more to get the word out about how bad these systems are and how poor Arlo support is. I will begin to post negative reviews.

Reviews are just that I don't believe most of it due to supporters and employees posting good reviews to bring the rating up. But as I said in the past they do have a very nice system but its the programmers,  engineers and software developers then make this product bad, they fix one thing and create 2 other problems.  

jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

As I mentioned earlier, I've been spending a fair amount of time lately posting reviews everywhere I can find that these now-useless legacy systems are still being sold, in order to warn unsuspecting customers about what they're about to walk into.
To my surprise I'm now seeing that many of these reviews, on Amazon, Best Buy, Consumer Reports, and a ton of other places, are beginning to draw responses from Arlo themselves.
All saying the same thing canned answers; "Gee, we're really sorry to hear about YOUR problems, but if you'd like to contact Customer Support we'll be happy to work with you... blah blah blah..."

If you guy spent as much time and effort fixing these problems as you do cruising the internet looking for bad reviews these problems would be fixed by now. 
All this does is confirm to me that your priorities are damage control, not customer service.
I'm also guessing that you employ a troll farm to go out and post GOOD reviews... "Swell, awesome, great!"
I wouldn't put this past you.

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Arlo is done. Ppl are not stupid.
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Here's you another example: Live video on Pro camera, no movement in front of it, heavy smear and pixellation, 30 feet from the base with full bars coming in at 310kbps. Completely unusable video, you cannot even see the truck that's parked in front of it. WTH, ARLO??? COMPLEX MOTION, HUH? Do you think we're idiots???

Retired_Member
Not applicable
The problem isnt their variable bit rate. Its the fact its a very low bit rate. Their cameras are now garbage.
TerryHoss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Another screen shot from today, at this point it is worse than useless. Screenshot_2020-05-22 Arlo Web Portal Smart Home Security.png

conma
Guide
Guide

VMB4000r3 and Arlo Pro 2 Cameras

Some of my info over time. Utterly useless at this point. 

20 Jan 2019     bit rate 1001

29 Mar 2019    bit rate  910

24 Jan 2020      bit rate  801

24 Jan 2020      bit rate  782

15 Apr 2020     bit rate  746

21 May 2020    bit rate  485

Worse than disappointing having to find another system now.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thank you for reaching out about your recent issue with the video quality of your video recordings.

Our team has been actively investigating and is working on an update to help address this issue.  We will be deploying a new software update over the next couple days which will automatically download to your Arlo system, so no action is required on your end.

Thank you for your patience and if you need further assistance, please reach out to us at 1-408-638-3750.

- Arlo Team

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP wrote:

Our team has been actively investigating and is working on an update to help address this issue.  We will be deploying a new software update over the next couple days which will automatically download to your Arlo system, so no action is required on your end.

"We tried to screw over our customers, but you caught us, LOL"

Ordinary1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi @JessicaP

Many thanks for the update. If this can be resolved in the next couple of days I believe that many on this thread will appreciate the fix.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to highlight the issue. It has been extremely frustrating to face a wall of silence for the best part of a month on this.

Hopefully Arlo can learn a lesson or two about engaging customers and being transparent about potential problems. I doubt that the thread would have escalated in the way that it has if there was clear communication from the outset, even if it was as simple as saying we recognise that there appears to be something consistent in the feedback and we are taking it seriously, we will keep you posted.

Fingers crossed the update returns the system to its former glory.
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
@jam436
"I'm also guessing that you employ a troll farm to go out and post GOOD reviews..."

I suspected this as well after I saw names like "Jack Johnson" in the Google Play store, writing 5 star reviews with syntax and grammar issues of a foreigner. It's possible that Jack Johnson grew up in India or something, but unlikely.