Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you are starting to get 2 and 3 or 5 Notifications for 1 Alert and you find if you uninstall the app and reinstall it you get another one added so 5 turns into 6 notifications. youve found the solution.

Im on Android Oreo on the galaxy S9 plus but this applies to all android versions that have google back up enabled.

Here is how:

First Delete The Arlo App, then
Go into "Settings", "Cloud and Accounts", then "Backup and Restore",
Then down on the bottom theres a toggle thats says "automatic Restore"
Toggle that off.
Next, Click on "Google account" in the same menu
And at the top theres a toggle that says "back up to google drive". Slide it OFF
it will give you a warning that you are about to delete your backup
"Confirm and delete"
Next reboot the Phone
then go back to the last slider that we turned off that said "Back up to Google Drive" and turn it back on
Then Re download the arlo app and Log back in alls well.

Hope this helps i had 5 notifications for every alert equal to the time i uninstalled and reinstalled

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zsmith4
Star
Star
I finally figured out the missing steps if you are on a Samsung device. In addition to all of the steps mentioned previously, after uninstalling Arlo, go to Setting: Apps and Force stop "Samsung Backup and Restore". Then under Settings: Accounts: Accounts (Yes, a sub-menu called Accounts under the Accounts menu), scroll to the very bottom. There is a slider that says "Auto sync personal data". Turn that off. Then reboot and reinstall Arlo. Log into Arlo and exit (may not be necessary, but I did it to be safe). Then turn that slider back on, turn Google account backups, etc back on. For good measure, I rebooted again. Now I'm getting one notification instead of 9. It's completely unacceptable that a user must figure those steps out. But it seems to have worked. Hope that helps

View solution in original post

106 REPLIES 106
mdwalker
Guide
Guide

I have a Galaxy S8 with Oreo.  I followed your steps and it did not fix the issue.  Now I have an extra audible alert.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice
If you miss one step it wont work
You can not turn back on restore app settings. The first thing you shut off leave it off. Only turn back on the back up to google drive. After reboot
mdwalker
Guide
Guide

The first time I tried your steps, I did turn the "automatic restore" back on.  So, in doing your steps again, I made sure I did not turn the "automatic restore" back on (I just double checked) and it has added yet another notification.  I now have 5.  I followed your steps exactly.  I'm not sure what else to do.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice
1st make sure the arlo app is uninstalled. Not from the play store but delete it from your phone app by long press uninstall.
Next since that automatic restore is already off go to back to google account in cloud and back up
And turn that slider off that says back up to to google drive. It will say its gonna delete your back up. Confirm and delete.
Next leave that off and reboot.
After reboot open your google drive on the same account as your backup
And look in the settings and youll see "Backups" make sure there are none there. If there are delete them. Next while both of those sliders from earlier are off, reinstall the arlo app
And it should fix it. Its the app thats the problem but its fixable by not having a back up and not having it reinstall app setting automatically.
Let me know if that dont work ill make a video.
mdwalker
Guide
Guide

Mine is fixed now.  Only 1 notification per event.  I think the key to fixing mine was to turn off BOTH "automatic restore" AND "back up to google drive" before reinstalling the Arlo app.  Once installed, I turned on the "back up google drive".

Thank you very much for your help!!

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice
Your more than welcome my .man. when they fix the app it wont happen no more.its the apps issues.
Enjoy
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@mdwalker wrote:

Mine is fixed now.  Only 1 notification per event.  I think the key to fixing mine was to turn off BOTH "automatic restore" AND "back up to google drive" before reinstalling the Arlo app.  Once installed, I turned on the "back up google drive".

Thank you very much for your help!!

Glad it worked for you!!

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

I see alot of people are looking in the Problem thread hope they see the solution thread here.

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

I have this issue now too, but won't not turning on automatic restore affect all of my other apps? So if I have to do a factory reset, it won't restore my other apps because of this one app. That's an annoying workaround!

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@louie022 wrote:

I have this issue now too, but won't not turning on automatic restore affect all of my other apps? So if I have to do a factory reset, it won't restore my other apps because of this one app. That's an annoying workaround!

You only have to do it once. THEN turn it back on after you fix it. I left restore app settings off and left back up on, but you can turn all it back on after you fix it. it will only double notifiy again if you uninstall and reinstall the app after you fix it. 

so fix it, verify its fixed, and turn it all back on

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

Ah ok! Thanks! I just wish products would get better when they release updates, not worse! 

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@louie022 wrote:

Ah ok! Thanks! I just wish products would get better when they release updates, not worse! 

its a app issue. they will be releasing a fix soon. Has to do with Android Oreo app update

louie022
Tutor
Tutor
So, it didn't work. Now have 6 notifications! Any ideas??
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@louie022 wrote:
So, it didn't work. Now have 6 notifications! Any ideas??

Yes Turn both those setting (i metioned above) off then go into your google drive and look for backups (thats where it stores the backup) and delete it. and once you delete the arlo app and turn off the 2 settings (back up etc) then delete the back up from google drive. reboot the phone make sure the settings are unchecked still and then download and install the arlo app back. also I would delete the arlo app From the playstore not the app drawer. good luck let us know

then once you know its fixed you can turn back on your original settings

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

Ok, maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong as it still isn't working, just adding more notifications. Here are screen shots to confirm i'm doing it right. UnistalledUnistalledturned off app dataturned off app dataturned off backupturned off backupno backups in google driveno backups in google drive

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

I just did all of the above, re-installed the Arlo app, did not even turn any of the back ups back on yet, but still getting multiple notifications again. This is extremely frustrating, i'm about to delete the app and throw the unit in the trash.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@louie022 wrote:

I just did all of the above, re-installed the Arlo app, did not even turn any of the back ups back on yet, but still getting multiple notifications again. This is extremely frustrating, i'm about to delete the app and throw the unit in the trash.

I know this worked for numerous people including myself. Maybe you are missing a step? I would try again it took me 3 times to get it right. i had 7 sounds per one alert then it worked.One guy says to delete the app ,  shut off the 2 backup/restore settings for the main google account. Then wait for 4 hours on wifi. (why im not sure) then he rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app. I know youll get it. Make sure the same google account is used for the back up ad the google drive backup.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The only reason I waited four hours that time was I did not turn off Google auto back up. I let Google back up the phone without the Arlo app. The main issue is the Google setting to auto replace your app settings when you do an uninstall / reinstall. Uninstall app from phone (NOT Play Store) Go to Cloud and Accounts>Backup and Restore>Automatic Restore (off). One other step I took just to be sure was I did a Samsung Account backup and restore (only takes a few minutes). I wanted to make sure that when I reinstalled Arlo it would be a new install not an append. This is what is causing all the problems.

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks! I'm using a google pixel, so I my functionality is a bit different. For some reason, even when I re-installed the app without ever turning auto-restore or back-up back on, it still gave me multiple notifications. Almost seems like something is saved to the phone itself. I just plugged the phone into my PC and deleted any "arlo" and "netgear" related files. Hopefully it will work this time.

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

OK, still not working, but here is the strange thing. I completed the first step and then turned off all back ups. Restarted, then reinstalled the app. STILL getting tons of notifications. How is this possible with all the backups still turned off??

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice
Did you delete the actual back up in google drive? Make sure its the same google account ans manually delete it. It will say backups
Then once its all off and deleted then try and restart the phone and double check those settings are off still and reinstall the app. But like the other guy said uninstall the arlo app first before anything, and uninstall it from the app drawer long press
louie022
Tutor
Tutor

There was no backup on the google drive. When I shut it off from the phone it confirmed i wanted to delete the backup. So how is this app, without any backups, still having this issue? The process you described is fairly straight forward, so I dont think there is anything at all that I'm missing. I only have one google account, so it cant be backing up anywhere else.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@louie022 wrote:

There was no backup on the google drive. When I shut it off from the phone it confirmed i wanted to delete the backup. So how is this app, without any backups, still having this issue? The process you described is fairly straight forward, so I dont think there is anything at all that I'm missing. I only have one google account, so it cant be backing up anywhere else.

the last thing i can think of is like the other guy said uninstall the app make sure theres no back up turn off both setting google back up and auto restore apps, then reboot and turn back on the back up features and wait for 4 to 6 hours WITHOUT arlo app installed it will back itself up free of arlo and the settings associated with it. then try and install it. I myself leave the auto restore off and only use the back up part

louie022
Tutor
Tutor

Well, this is interesting. I waited over night for my phone to do another backup then installed the arlo app again. Now, I'm not getting any push notifications at all. I've turned them off and saved, then turned them back on. Restarted the base unit. This is app is terrible.