Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How/To fix Multiple Notifications from one alert on Android

Discussion stats
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you are starting to get 2 and 3 or 5 Notifications for 1 Alert and you find if you uninstall the app and reinstall it you get another one added so 5 turns into 6 notifications. youve found the solution.

Im on Android Oreo on the galaxy S9 plus but this applies to all android versions that have google back up enabled.

Here is how:

First Delete The Arlo App, then
Go into "Settings", "Cloud and Accounts", then "Backup and Restore",
Then down on the bottom theres a toggle thats says "automatic Restore"
Toggle that off.
Next, Click on "Google account" in the same menu
And at the top theres a toggle that says "back up to google drive". Slide it OFF
it will give you a warning that you are about to delete your backup
"Confirm and delete"
Next reboot the Phone
then go back to the last slider that we turned off that said "Back up to Google Drive" and turn it back on
Then Re download the arlo app and Log back in alls well.

Hope this helps i had 5 notifications for every alert equal to the time i uninstalled and reinstalled

106 REPLIES 106
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Wynne
Guide
Guide
Appears to have worked. Thanks for the suggestion.
POC-H6
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks!!

I literally just tried your recommendation and it worked.

I went from 3 alerts back to one by clearing the cache and signing back in.

Don't knock it until you try it.

spirosspike
Guide
Guide

I tried everything up to the last post , even clearing data and cache on Arlo app. Went initially from 2 notifications to 7 notifications.

I had given up and tried a samsung restore data and now miraculousy went back to 1 

woohoo

dmatthews99
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried everything is the last several post and still receiving multiple notifications.  Any other suggestions?

zsmith4
Star
Star
I finally figured out the missing steps if you are on a Samsung device. In addition to all of the steps mentioned previously, after uninstalling Arlo, go to Setting: Apps and Force stop "Samsung Backup and Restore". Then under Settings: Accounts: Accounts (Yes, a sub-menu called Accounts under the Accounts menu), scroll to the very bottom. There is a slider that says "Auto sync personal data". Turn that off. Then reboot and reinstall Arlo. Log into Arlo and exit (may not be necessary, but I did it to be safe). Then turn that slider back on, turn Google account backups, etc back on. For good measure, I rebooted again. Now I'm getting one notification instead of 9. It's completely unacceptable that a user must figure those steps out. But it seems to have worked. Hope that helps
dmatthews99
Tutor
Tutor

That did the trick.  Thank you very much!  Makes absolutely no sense why we as the customers are stuck trying to figure this issue out.  I sure hope they make improvements soon as this is the third issue I've experience with my Arlo Pro cameras in the past two months.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@zsmith4 wrote:
I finally figured out the missing steps if you are on a Samsung device. In addition to all of the steps mentioned previously, after uninstalling Arlo, go to Setting: Apps and Force stop "Samsung Backup and Restore". Then under Settings: Accounts: Accounts (Yes, a sub-menu called Accounts under the Accounts menu), scroll to the very bottom. There is a slider that says "Auto sync personal data". Turn that off. Then reboot and reinstall Arlo. Log into Arlo and exit (may not be necessary, but I did it to be safe). Then turn that slider back on, turn Google account backups, etc back on. For good measure, I rebooted again. Now I'm getting one notification instead of 9. It's completely unacceptable that a user must figure those steps out. But it seems to have worked. Hope that helps

Glad it works for you, ill add this to the op

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cant seem to edit the OP. but at least this step is in the Thread

notcreative
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you.  I'm on Android Pie and the menus were slightly different (*Note: didn't see/change anything labeled automatic restore)

- Deleted app.

- Settings/System/Advanced/Backup

- Slide "Back up to Google Drive" to 'off'

- Restart phone

- Slide "Back up to Google Drive" to 'on'

- Reinstall App

Went from six notifications to just one.  Thank you OP!

fattyporkbelly
Tutor
Tutor

I'm on Pixel 2 w/ Android Pie. I also followed these steps for it to work sucessfully:

Thank you.  I'm on Android Pie and the menus were slightly different (*Note: didn't see/change anything labeled automatic restore)

- Deleted app.

- Settings/System/Advanced/Backup

- Slide "Back up to Google Drive" to 'off'

- Restart phone

- Slide "Back up to Google Drive" to 'on'

- Reinstall App

MMFU
Tutor
Tutor

A simple search brought me here.  While it is "nice" that this "workaround" has been provided, quite honestly I don't feel the need/desire to go through all these hoops and hurdles.  ARLO Update broke it, WHEN will ARLO fix/update it?  It is immensely annoying, but going through all that rigamarole posted here, with the off chance of "missing" a step and making it worse, I ask again: WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED BY ARLO?

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MMFU wrote:

A simple search brought me here.  While it is "nice" that this "workaround" has been provided, quite honestly I don't feel the need/desire to go through all these hoops and hurdles.  ARLO Update broke it, WHEN will ARLO fix/update it?  It is immensely annoying, but going through all that rigamarole posted here, with the off chance of "missing" a step and making it worse, I ask again: WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED BY ARLO?

good question, but in the mean time one fix lasts until you uninstall the app so, anyway you can fix it from this thread, im sure one of the methods will work

MMFU
Tutor
Tutor

In general there is not much action, so the 3 alerts did not bother me too much.  If our mother were still there, sun-downing and tripping the camera like she was, that WOULD drive me to do something other than turn it off (still needed to keep an eye on her!)  Since moving her, outside camera trips usually only once/week when groundskeeping comes along.  BUT, now it is about to go on the market and with all the local condo ladies checking the place, two cameras tripped over and over - AUGH!  So I shut them off and asked when the shidig is done (it was also busy busy when they were staging and I had little service where I was that day so it took me MANY tries to shut them off!)  This will mainly be an issue for their open houses and other viewings.  Once it sells, delete!

A secondary issue I am seeing since this 'update' is playback is constantly buffering.  Previous clips after the update I did not bother playing as just quick look at the static image usually said 'groundskeeping'.  I did not read through all the comments, so perhaps this issue was also was brought up, but if not, here it is!

BTW, my working days included many years of testing software, not mamby pamby stuff, weather radar, ATC, etc - THIS issue should never have passed any tests...

Wynne
Guide
Guide
I like your attitude. Had a battery die after seven months and Arlo support wanted me to jump through hoops. I told them to send me a new battery or be prepared to answer a small claims court summons. They're sending me a new battery.

I will add that clearing cache and data fixed the issue at hand for me, Pixel XL, Pie.
Carlosddell
Initiate
Initiate
This worked for me and I am very relieved after 5 notifications every movement. Thank you.
LG G5
gleesmj
Star
Star
Thanks @zsmith4 for that post. The extra step you outlined has fixed my multiple notification issue. Thanks again!
silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was able to fix mine just by clearing cache and data in the app then sign back in, but it is different though I now get one notification per camera on my phone across the top where it was only just one. I like it like that.

Shocker19
Tutor
Tutor
I'm in the same boat. I've followed all the steps on my S8, but it just adds more notifications. I'm up to 6 so I guess I'll just deal with it until a fix to the app happens.
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

if your on the S8 with oreo

clear cache; clear data and then reset your notification tone in the Arlo app settings. No app delete/ reinstall/ turn off backup, etc required anymore.

jahs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Adding another answer found in a separate thread. Neither the accepted solution nor the cache clearing solved this issue for me. I'm on a motox Android 8.1.0 and this issue began for me in August of 2018 after a system update. The solution is similar to the selected one but not identical. 

1) Disable application backup

Settings > System > Backup > App data 

Disable Automatic Restore

Note that differs from accepted soluton: Do _not_ disable the "Back up to google drive" in Settings > System > Backup. Leave it enabled or re-enable it. 

2) Clear application cache and remove Arlo app

Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Click on Arlo App > Storage

Clear Cache

Clear Data

Go back 

Uninstall the Arlo app

3) Set your phone down for a while and don't touch it. Your app settings will start backing up to google after 30 mins of inactivity (on wifi, depending on your settings). Others recommended 4 hours. For me, I just left it in the charger overnight without the Arlo app. 

4) Wake up well rested and with a fresh brain from not having stared at your phone for a few hours. 

5) Install the arlo app. Login.

6) Your notifications may not work at all at this point. Open the app, click Mode > Base station > Armed and use the little pencil icon to toggle your alert settings. Uncheck all boxes, click save. Click the pencil icon again, check all alert boxes, click save again.

Attempting previous solutions had left me with 7 alerts for every trigger... fun times. I'm now back down to one. If you've gone through all the other solutions don't go crazy. It's not just you. You didn't do it wrong.

MMFU
Tutor
Tutor

Well, sooner rather than later, I have my solution on the horizon.  Offer on condo is accepted, once we close, this APP is no longer needed and will be deleted!  Easier for me to wait for this to happen than try over and over to follow these hoops and hurdles OR wait who knows how long for Arlo to fix THEIR mistake.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jahs wrote:

Adding another answer found in a separate thread. Neither the accepted solution nor the cache clearing solved this issue for me. I'm on a motox Android 8.1.0 and this issue began for me in August of 2018 after a system update. The solution is similar to the selected one but not identical. 

1) Disable application backup

Settings > System > Backup > App data 

Disable Automatic Restore

Note that differs from accepted soluton: Do _not_ disable the "Back up to google drive" in Settings > System > Backup. Leave it enabled or re-enable it. 

2) Clear application cache and remove Arlo app

Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Click on Arlo App > Storage

Clear Cache

Clear Data

Go back 

Uninstall the Arlo app

3) Set your phone down for a while and don't touch it. Your app settings will start backing up to google after 30 mins of inactivity (on wifi, depending on your settings). Others recommended 4 hours. For me, I just left it in the charger overnight without the Arlo app. 

4) Wake up well rested and with a fresh brain from not having stared at your phone for a few hours. 

5) Install the arlo app. Login.

6) Your notifications may not work at all at this point. Open the app, click Mode > Base station > Armed and use the little pencil icon to toggle your alert settings. Uncheck all boxes, click save. Click the pencil icon again, check all alert boxes, click save again.

Attempting previous solutions had left me with 7 alerts for every trigger... fun times. I'm now back down to one. If you've gone through all the other solutions don't go crazy. It's not just you. You didn't do it wrong.

Thanks glad everyone is getting this issue resovled 

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
For the interested, none of these "fixes" did the trick for me on my Samsung S9+. I do not use Google backup or Samsung backup.

I have Arlo app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab E as well {latest version) and it's notifications were just fine UNTIL iI finally updated the Arlo app on my S9+ (I had been running ver from May 22nd). Then not only did notifications for Arlo on my phone wig out but so did the Arlo notifications on my tablet, I started getting duplicate notifications there when everything had previously been fine. And I do not use Google backup or Samsung backup on this device either.

In the end what worked for me was to FORCE STOP Arlo on my tablet then clear cache and then clear data then log in - notifications on tablet all better.

Then i did the exact same on my S9+, and then alerts returned to normal on my phone.

So if you have Arlo app on other Android devices you might want to try this. No idea if it will work with those if you who are using Google backup and Samsung backup. I don't use either and this worked for me.
Kaina
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks secaz!  Of all of the fixes on all of the topics here, yours was the only one that fixed my issue of (now up to) 10 notifications per alert.  Galaxy S9+, Oreo 8.0.0