Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro charging over POE

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
GadgetVirtuoso2
Guide
Guide

I've tried a couple different POE injectors and adapters but none will charge the battery for the camera. So far they all end up with a message on the camera saying  "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery...." Has anyone found a product that will charge the battery yet?

My Setup: Linksys MX10 on Frontier FIOS 500/500.
Also experienced with AT&T Fiber & Charter Cable
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GadgetVirtuoso2
Guide
Guide

OK, So I found a solution to this problem and it is charging the camera over ethernet.

You will need one pair of these SinLoon(2-PACK) AF-RJ45 USB to USB Female to AF-8P8C Connector Crystal USB, USB Transfer Network Plu...  These simply convert the power to allow it to go over ethernet with whatever charger you want to use and don't require a POE switch.

I then purchased a USB-A male-to-male cable and connected the Arlo charger to one end and the other end to one adapter. The other adapter connects to the Arlo USB cable and the camera at the other end of the ethernet run.

YMMV depending on the length of the ethernet run. In my case, the run is at least 50 feet to a storage closet that didn't have any electrical outlets.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
No and you wont. Theres 9 volts in arlo charger not 6 like most phone chargers. Also the theres more pins in the arlo charger at the point of contact. My friend actually damaged his camera and now it wont charge at all. I think its a $$ thing. They want you to only buy there stuff
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not really true....

The Pro and Pro2 use a Qualcomm type dual voltage charger. The adapter will put out 5v( stanard usb output)  via the usb or 9v depending on what it is plugged into.  You can NOT charge an 8.4v cell pack ( listed as 7.2v but charges to 8.4 ) with the 5v only and that is why it also puts out 9v.

If used in any other devices, the adapter should work as normal.... Also SOME qualcomm type charges will work with the cameras but not all ( voltage level is specific ).. I have tested my S7 phone dual voltage adapter and it worked fine for me on a Pro2. YMMV.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
GadgetVirtuoso2
Guide
Guide

OK, So I found a solution to this problem and it is charging the camera over ethernet.

You will need one pair of these SinLoon(2-PACK) AF-RJ45 USB to USB Female to AF-8P8C Connector Crystal USB, USB Transfer Network Plu...  These simply convert the power to allow it to go over ethernet with whatever charger you want to use and don't require a POE switch.

I then purchased a USB-A male-to-male cable and connected the Arlo charger to one end and the other end to one adapter. The other adapter connects to the Arlo USB cable and the camera at the other end of the ethernet run.

YMMV depending on the length of the ethernet run. In my case, the run is at least 50 feet to a storage closet that didn't have any electrical outlets.

Greatg269
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm looking at a POE solution for the Pro 2. Can you provide a link for the other items used? Also, not clear to me how you are interconnecting all these items to power the camera?

GadgetVirtuoso2
Guide
Guide

@Greatg269 wrote:

I'm looking at a POE solution for the Pro 2. Can you provide a link for the other items used? Also, not clear to me how you are interconnecting all these items to power the camera?

It worked for a few days but the camera has since started showing the incompatible charger notice again.