Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
upsgaljenks
Tutor
Tutor

Hi.  Just today I set up my new Arlo Pro with three wireless cameras and they all worked great.  Everything is set up, cameras are tested, downloaded the app.  It was sending me "motion detected" notifications right along, even after I set up the first camera outside.  

About 15 minutes after I officially set it up, a friend came down the driveway and in the back door.  Not only did it NOT send me any notifications, it didn't record anything!  Since then (about an hour ago), there have been no notifications or recordings, even though we've been going in and out in front of the camera.  

I've checked to be sure it's armed, it's set to record up to 5 minutes, internet signal is strong, notifications are "on" on my phone as well.  It was working fine, then suddenly it wasn't.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you increased motion sensitivity in your modes and rules? That's all you can do other than reposition the camera for better detection.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion is best detected with motion across the FOV, not at the camera. Post a screenshot of the camera view with description of the missed motion for suggestions.

upsgaljenks
Tutor
Tutor

IMG_7662.jpg

This photo sure came out huge!  Anyway...the camera is only picking up motion from the red line to the right; it doesn't pick up anything that moves on the left side (where the "x" is).   It has missed anyone coming down the driveway or going in/out of the back door.  If we go out the back door and down the steps to walk behind the house, it notifies me once the "motion" reaches the red line, not before that.  

I have it mounted about eight or nine feet up on the garage and it's angled a bit toward the right to catch the back porch.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We can't see the image until it's approved, probably sometime tomorrow. Youcan use the Choose File button below the text box when replying to upload the file so we can see immediately.

upsgaljenks
Tutor
Tutor

Hi.  Will this show the photo?  I clicked on "Choose File".  If not, hopefully you can see it tomorrow or so.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I see this photo with no problem. It strikes me that 1) distance is an issue (25 feet max for people) and 2) motion on the driveway is to/from the camera rather than across the FOV.

upsgaljenks
Tutor
Tutor

Is there any way to get the camera to pick up cars or people coming down the driveway towards the camera?  This morning, it did pick up me going out the back door and down the steps, but since then, it hasn't done that.  It also didn't pick me coming home for lunch, getting out of the car, and going up the steps.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you increased motion sensitivity in your modes and rules? That's all you can do other than reposition the camera for better detection.

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is very typical of Arlo services having outages. It will stop notifications, live views and library recordings at random times during the week when Arlo has outages. Not trustworthy product and service. Believe me... read my posts.
upsgaljenks
Tutor
Tutor

Hi again.  Between reading your answers and watching a  few Youtube videos, I'm learning about field of view, total viewing area, best angles, etc.  I'm going to re-positition one camera which may make the difference.  Other than that, the other two are doing ok so far.  Thank you for all of your help and believe me, if I can't figure this out, I'll be back!  🙂

m33wags
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is the details of my base:

HW Version VMB2500r4
Serial Number 5BF38976AD4F7
Firmware 1.12.2.1_2798

I have had these for about two months and not impressed, unless I want to see the leaves blowing. I have three cameras that cover my front yard and they are connected to my roof so about 8 feet in the air. If I have them set at 70 for sensitivity I can walk left to right or right to left about 8 feet from where the cameras are mounted and nothing is detected or recorded. I can walk almost everywhere in my front yard and not get picked up. I have done the sensitivity test and it does pick me up a little, but not much at 70. If I go to 80 it gets a little better, but not much and if I go to 90 the detection test works all over the place. If I leave it at 90 and I walk around the front yard nothing happens, sometimes I will get picked up by the front right side a couple times, but I should be getting picked many times. At 90 to 100 it still doesn't pick me up or anyone, but I will have a hundred recordings of the wind blowing on the front garage one. The front garage one also in the top right slightly sees the street and if a car goes by I will get a recording for this. If I look at camera positioning I see what I see live, but they don't pick up motion and record. I have replaced batteries, rebooted the base and I have removed them from the app. They have not worked for me at all except to see hundreds of recordings of nothing at all in a day.

m33wags
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought my snapshot would show up on the post not sure why it didn't

image.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, your first image works best since the one embedded in a post has to be approved before the rest of the world can see it.

Based on what I think you're saying as well as what I see in the 3 cameras' views, it may be tough to get what you need since you have a lot of the sun's IR being reflected and the moving leaves/branches are always going to be a problem for a PIR sensor. ABout all you can do is reduce sensitivity to minimize false detections while allowing people to be detected. Repositioning the cameras to look towards the house rather than out to the street may help if you have appropriate places to mount them.

m33wags
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, thanks for the info I wish I had known that before I bought the cameras.

I will see if I can put them in some trees I have that could point to the house, but I think I will still have issues with sun and leaves.

Thanks again.