Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jksloan
Tutor
Tutor

We have the camera in the front of the house, we have all the modes set, we are not on a schedule, we can see the activity live, we increase the sensitivity but the camera will not activate and record the motion.

91 REPLIES 91
Deevah
Star
Star

This issue has nothing to do with having a paid subscription. This did not start until an update about 4-5 months ago. There is nothing that states a subscription is required for the cameras to record after dark. Plus it doesn't make since from a fiscal standpoint -- most people are away from home during the day and at home at night. So, even if they were to do something like this it would make more sense to charge during the day when footage is needed most. 

dtshaw82
Aspirant
Aspirant
As a clarification update: Ours will in fact record at night, but it takes a lot of motion for it to trigger. And oftentimes its never triggered. If I walk within feet of the camera it will trigger, but if I slowly walk directly toward the camera at night it may not trigger, even 10 feet away (Sensitivity is set to 100). Again, we recently had two people looking in our vehicles. Fortunately, it did trigger and record but they were already starting to walk away. So the back of the head is kind of useless. Our neighbors hardwired camera caught them walking up and looking in the windows and moving around for a good 30 seconds before Arlo started recording.
Berta007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Utra and it's not recording at night. it did for the first week and now it doens't record anythning after midnight

Berta007
Aspirant
Aspirant

we've had this same exact problem and we are returning to Best Buy tonight.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions for you regarding these reports

-Are you using a schedule or ARMED mode when the night recording issue occurs?

-What model base station?

-What cameras are you using? (Original Wire free, Pro, Pro 2, Ultra?

-What firmware is your base station & cameras running?

-If possible, a screenshot or your schedule

Thank You

Berta007
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have never switched to armed or unarmed or messed with geofencing . It recorded at night for the first week and then doesn’t not record after midnight. We are taking it back today or tomorrow
Deevah
Star
Star

Actually that is INCORRECT, I've had my cameras since 2015 and I've never bothered with the geofencing and my camera is armed 24/7 and this just started so it has nothing to do with either. 

Seg-glider
Tutor
Tutor

Bought 1 month ago at costco to upgrade the old original Arlo Pro model now I have VCS4500C (probably Costco version). Hoped this will be a lot better (and it is in many ways).

But as many other said, I noticed the outside cameras  don't record at night. Roughly at 10:30pm I get the last recording and it will start again in the morning at about 5:30AM or so.

Unit is set to Armed all the time. Tried to change sensitivity setting. at 100% i get some random recordings at night (nobody on picture).

Rebooted many times, disconnected and reconnected. switched inside cameras to outside. same.

Arlo support asked me to send one camera back to receive a new one to try. I doubt this will do anything as I already tried other cameras (from inside home).

Too bad . This is a major downside on this cameras (otherwise I would like them). 

Well, I could always put a big sign in my frontyard:

'Dear Burglar,

Please, only break into my home during daytime, The Arlo Cameras have a bug and don't record at night !!!"

RaccoonCam
Guide
Guide
This issue started happening to me on July 17, 2019 after a year of ownership and 6 months or so of becoming a Premier customer. I have 6 cameras, 3 Pros and 3 of the original model; all components are at latest firmware. Technical support suggested adding and removing all cameras; that is not acceptable. I've never used schedules ever. Up to this time the only issue I saw was the camera switching to UTC time in the displays; this seems corrected. I have two USB drives connected, configured to overwrite (system doesn't seem to really support automatic switching between drives). Since I changed nothing and so many have this issue, I think this issue may be external to the base station and cameras.
TeeP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having this issue with 1 of 2 arlo pro 2 camera's I have. I bought the arlo system 2 weeks ago from best buy and it's now becoming an issue. It will record fine all day and will stop after 9 or 9:30 pm and will start up again around 5 or 6am. I have noticed though, that when the camera goes offline (according to the app), the infrared tends to blink nonstop, not sure if that's relevant. In regards to the other camera I have, it is functioning perfectly and is giving me no issues so makes me wonder if it has something to do with the cameras themselves. Firmware is up to date. 

RaccoonCam
Guide
Guide

Last night and the night before my cameras suddenly began recording again.  Laggy motion detection is still an issue (the subjects pretty much are completely within the frame before capture begins), but both Pro and  original cameras recorded in the night time hours (although the Pro may have been reponding to security lights that came on right before the capture started).

The only changes I made were done days earlier, I would be surprised if these were the cause for resumption of night time captures. They were removing the USB drive and changing the time range on the schedule profile from the defaults to  the hours that I wasn't getting captures in.  Mind you, I don't use the schedule profile at all. I use a modified version of the armed profile and continue to use it.

However there is a difference.  A couple of days ago two cameras lost network connectivity, so I am only running with four cameras instead of six,  Normally, I'll bring the disconnected cameras inside, swap their batteries for fresh ones and they'll reconnect just fine.  Lately I've been pressing the button on top of the camera to get the blue light flashing when I know the batteries are OK;  the cameras have been reconnecting fine.  These particular cameras are two of the farthest from the base station and my wifi routers, there are multiple walls between them and the base and wifi routers and they are close to neighbors who have their own wifi  routers.

bibsoconner
Tutor
Tutor

Mine stop at about 6:40 p.m.  Where is the sensitiivity setting?  Device Info->Video Settings?  I didn't set up a schedule or "fencing".

HW VersionH7
Serial Number4N71697X381BC
Firmware  1.3.319

Where can I find Model # on the website?
Anyway to have this record at night?
bibsoconner
Tutor
Tutor

I tried changing to "Schedule".  Still no luck.

RaccoonCam
Guide
Guide

Well I brought the remaining cameras online and still got captures in the time range they were previously not recording.  However, in double checking things I saw a few things; the policy was set to armed (perhaps I was fiddling with it) isnted of the policy I normally run with, sensitivity was 100% instead of the 80% to 90% I normally run at, and in Smart Mode "Any movement" was toggled on instead of just the people and animals I normally run with. The latter made me wonder if Smart Mode was the issue.  I'll see what happens tonight, I believe I've restored everything to where is was when I first saw the issue.

RaccoonCam
Guide
Guide

Well I brought the remaining cameras online and still got captures in the time range they were previously not recording.  However, in double checking things I saw a few things; the policy was set to armed (perhaps I was fiddling with it) isnted of the policy I normally run with, sensitivity was 100% instead of the 80% to 90% I normally run at, and in Smart Mode "Any movement" was toggled on instead of just the people and animals I normally run with. The latter made me wonder if Smart Mode was the issue.  I'll see what happens tonight, I believe I've restored everything to where is was when I first saw the issue.

RaccoonCam
Guide
Guide

So, I can't say I've done anything to fix things (unless changing channels on non-arlo routers and turning off notification counts as something), but I'm getting animals again in the night time hours.

There's still some strangeness; some of the animals look like they have active camouflage like the alien in "Predator", I assume it's some kind of video lag. 

wondering1
Aspirant
Aspirant
H8 cameras
r3 base

Armed mode at night
The camera that picks up road traffic does not record at night except when something gets very close. This summer, a new branch is in camera view and moves quite often for this camera. Even that does not set off this camera at night.

Two of cameras do pickup some wildlife at night but not as consistently as before.

Have had the system for several years and noticed a marked difference in number of recordings at night in the past few months.

In fact, we had a serious event with no recordings on the important camera.

We do not pay for a subscription and use local storage to a 16GB Kingston Data Traveler USB flash drive. Have noticed a marked increase in the number of days before the drive is full.

wondering1
Aspirant
Aspirant
We keep the firmware up to date.

Base is currently on 1.14.0.2_2776
Cameras are currently on
1.092.0.23_32920

No updates available.
waeggles
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact same issues here. 2 cameras, both Arlo Pro. had them for 2 years or so. As you can see it is a frequent story in this thread, yet no official response (other than "reboot base station", "check whether set to Armed", "adjust sensitivity"). It's pathetic. Was very happy with system up until whatever was updated in June. 

In the last couple of months they are not detecting motion as well during the night. I went back 20 days in video listings, and saw 6 recordings at night in total. We have neighbours that work nights, frequent animals crossing. This all used to be captured, not anymore. Quality is also greatly reduced when it does record. 

One of the only products I have owned that actually has gotten worse with updates, not better. 

glenneng1213
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the 6 cameras with base station I bought from HSN since August 2019. I'm experiencing all the negative symptoms mentioned on this thread, no or limited recording after 5:00 pm and resumes recording after approx. 8:00 am. Sensitivity set at 85%, Armed with no schedule picks up movement and records during times I mentioned. Checklist: 1) Base station connected via cable to router and 3 green LED's on, I've reset numerous times, 2) Batteries on cameras are fine, 3) System armed to detect and record 24/7. 

A week after installing the system, my neighbor had a car window smashed at night in the scope of one of the cameras. The system didn't capture the incident, embarrassing.

Tkhuu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a car broken into this early morning and my Arlo stopped recording at 9:27PM. I didn't realize till I checked my camera. This pissed me off really.

Wired64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Folks,

I've had exactly this issue - everything was recording properly both during the day and at night, then suddenly, night time recording stopped.  I'm finally getting a bit of time to understand what's going on.

So here's the deal - I didn't change anything that I can remember.  I'm absolutely certain that if I setup a schedule, I would have set it for 24x7 recording.  However when I went to the "Mode" setting for my device, I found that somehow, it had been set to Schedule and that the schedule was 8 AM - 5PM.

I've changed the "Mode" from "Schedule" to "Armed" and I believe this may fix the problem.  

Since I never changed this (and, in fact, never really explored the "Mode" operations since everything worked out of the box), I suspect that a device update either added the "Mode" feature and the default was set to Schedule, or somehow an update changed the value to Schedule with an 8-5 default schedule.

You may assume that your system is setup properly because you made no changes, but that doesn't mean that an update didn't make changes - I'd encourage everyone who's got this problem to look at the Mode, set to Armed if you want 24x7 and also edit the rules for each camera to set if you want motion and/or sound to initiate the recording.

Good luck!

Aaron42
Tutor
Tutor
Hey folks.

Any updates on this one? I’m still experiencing the lack of recording at night and have tried all the recommendations in this thread. Tonight About 11pm I stood in front of them and jumped up and down. After about 2 mins the Arlo ultra light came on and it recorded me. Unless I do that, it doesn’t record.
ttfischer
Tutor
Tutor

I also just realized that my Arlo is not recording overnight. I know that it was working fine the end of July but cannot say exactly when after that it quit. It became very obvious with Christmas that it was not recording after about 7pm until the next morning. I have rebooted the base station and double checked settings. Nothing is working. I have contacted support and am waiting an answer since I do not see one on here. 

wondering1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Suddenly our 6 Arlo Pro camera system resumed expected overnight recordings with the December 27-December 28th 2019 period. Thus far, each night since, our system continues overnight recordings.

Hoping it lasts.