Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

tmmwt2
Tutor
Tutor

On othe Arlo app, for Android, when I have geofencing enabled I have a notification that states "Geofencing is enabled".  I have push notifications turned off and I want to disable this notification as well; however, I still want to use geofencing.  Any help is apprecaited. 

123 REPLIES 123
Kinan1985
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here on Google pixel 2 xl
LysseLu
Initiate
Initiate
I also have the same persistent geofencing notification on my Google pixel. I tried changing the notification settings to minimize it, but the change also applied to motion/audio alerts which defeats the purpose of the notifications. I agree with some that it is a nuisance when checking for actual motion/audio notifications at a quick glance because there is no icon to distinguish the persistent notification from new ones. Needs fix in app to disable persistent system status notifications.

I would also like to add on here that one of the reasons we went with Arlo over another camera system was that it was wireless and didn't require a subscription. After a few months of use, seemingly around the same time Arlo released their new pay subscriptions with advanced motion detection, we noticed that our batteries were draining significantly faster than before when recording video. Therefore, when we leave the house and our dogs are home, we created a mode that will alert us to audio or motion but not record video. This was the only way to make our batteries inside last more than a week or 2. As a result, the notifications are extremely important to us at times as that is how we know when to check a live feed of the cameras. The persistent notification interferes with this process.
orb526
Guide
Guide

Same issue...  Pixel 3, Android 9, Arlo app 2.7.1_23406

aleieng
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here. Arlo 2.7.1_23406, Android 9 Google pixel 2
Ktobrien
Initiate
Initiate
How are we two months in and still having the problem with not being able to remove the geofencing notification on Android? How hard is this to fix? Argh.
FreakyPriest
Guide
Guide
This is indeed very frustrating. I receive a notification when my baby cries every minute or when the humidity or temperature readings of the Arlo Baby are outside of the threshold. Due to this persistent Geofencing message, I can no longer swipe away all of the Arlo Baby notifications at once. I need to expand the Arlo notifications and then swipe off every single one.
rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

I didn't read all four pages of replies, but we're having this same condition.  Honestly, I think it's how they're keeping the app active so the geofencing finally works.  I haven't had an issue w/ the geofencing since this started.   I'll gladly take it.

jse1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

@rye_whiskey wrote:

I didn't read all four pages of replies, but we're having this same condition.  Honestly, I think it's how they're keeping the app active so the geofencing finally works.  I haven't had an issue w/ the geofencing since this started.   I'll gladly take it.

I think you are right. Every since the notification started my system has been working the best it ever has. Switching from Home to Away happens so much quicker now. I used to pull in my driveway and get alerts for motion and then 5 minutes later it would switch to home mode. I have become used to the notification being present and much like you, I'm fine with keeping it at this point if that's what it takes for everything to work like I wish. 

I am still able to see all my other notifications on my lock screen and samsung watch along with the snap shots. From others responses earlier, some may not be able to see them as desired but I can only speak for my Samsung S9.

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

S7 here and everything else working OK.  Just need to get my wife (Note 😎 to sign back in again so it's working off her phone as well.

Divvydave
Star
Star
I agree geofencing itself is working better. But the point being made is the arlo bird icon now permanently holds a position in my notification area and an arlo banner in permanent state too. This is like the boy who cried wolf. If I see an arlo banner/notification it should be to alert me of an intruder, not that the system is working. How are we supposed to know what is a genuine event without unlocking the screen every few minutes? That's all it takes for some one to break into your home.
jse1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

I understand what you are saying. For me I get a second or seperate notification (bird icon) on my lock screen and notification bar when something new occurs. I look at it as one bird is normal, two means something is up worth my attention.

Ackastner517
Guide
Guide
What if you get more than 1? Mine does show up as a second icon on the lock screen, until there are multiple notifications (i'm not sure if the number is 2 or 3, as when there are multiple notifications like that it's usually due to a lot of movement and it happens quickly) then they all compress back into one icon. So if I have left my phone on a table and there are multiple notifications of movement, they will have compressed down into one icon, and that's all I see on my lock screen, causing me to assume there's nothing to check on
rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

I get what jse1982 mentions.  Anything additional is popping up as a second banner.  How often is someone breaking into your house vs. having geofencing actually work so you don't have to arm/disarm all the time?

Ackastner517
Guide
Guide

I'm not discounting the fact that geofencing is finally working. That is great and I am so happy that the app itself seems to be working better than ever. But one of the biggest reasons you have security cameras is for that unlikely event when you actually need them. Saying, "how often is someone breaking into your house?" is short sighted in that we all hope it never happens, but if it did, there could be a slower response time due to not being able to tell there are notifications on your phone. And it's not just burglary. The other day, I was not home, my husband was, and the door didn't latch completely. The wind blows it open a crack, and my dog got out. I heard my phone vibrate, but at a glance it didn't look like a new notification. I opened it anyway to be safe, and it's my driveway camera detecting my dog, so I immediately called my husband and he got him back inside. If I hadn't heard the vibration and had only glanced at my phone, I would not have noticed a new camera notification, and it may have been longer before my husband noticed he got out. We could have lost our dog. Something like this has never happened before, and I am so grateful for the cameras for the saving grace they were, but now I am being even more **bleep** about checking my phone constantly, since I can't always tell if there is a new notification, and would be devastated if something happens that I could have taken care of. These events are so rare and for most people may never happen, making the constant notification nothing more than a minor inconvenience. But the event that causes it to become more than that, will be when you really realize how bad it is.

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm not being short sighted.  My point was that you DO get additional notifications.  What I'm saying is having to adjust how you pay attention to those notifications vs. finally having geofencing working is a win-win.

What would be helpful is if they could change the look of the notification.  I'd LOVE to have the option of getting a still screenshot of the camera detecting motiion.

jse1982
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm with rye_whiskey here in that you do get additional notifications, or at least I do. I've attached a screen shot of my lock screen when my wife got home. You can see the two birds. If it was motion, that would be another bird. I've not found that the persistent notification has prevented any others from coming through as normal.

Rye_whiskey, to your wish of showing an image on the motion notifications, it does just that. You may have to have a paid plan, which I do because I have 8 cameras and 2 base stations on one account. If you have paid plan, next time you get a motion notification, from your lock screen or notification list press on the notification, hold, and slide you finger down. A snap shot is included. I'll try to screen shot it the next time I get a motion
ChristianDK
Guide
Guide

Same problem here, persistent geofencing notification that can't be swiped away..

We have 3 Samsung Galaxy S9+ phones in the familiy. Spite having the eksakt same setup, the problem is only on 2 of the phones.. All running Android 9, and latest Arlo firmware+app version. This problem has been going on for over 2 months now.

We can make it go away, if we first disable - and then enable the notifications. But this only last for a few hours at most, then it comes back with the Geofencing is enabled thing.

Wonder if anyone at Arlo i working on it, or do we just get auto replys here in the forum?

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for tthat explanation jse1982!   We're at 5 and still on the free plan.   Didn't really get them as a security feature so much as being able to drop in on pets during the day.   May look into adding more cameras though so this is a nice feature to know it exists.

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

I honestly think this is how they're getting geofencing to work.  It's forcing the app to stay, at least partially, active.

@ChristianDK wrote:

Same problem here, persistent geofencing notification that can't be swiped away..

We have 3 Samsung Galaxy S9+ phones in the familiy. Spite having the eksakt same setup, the problem is only on 2 of the phones.. All running Android 9, and latest Arlo firmware+app version. This problem has been going on for over 2 months now.

We can make it go away, if we first disable - and then enable the notifications. But this only last for a few hours at most, then it comes back with the Geofencing is enabled thing.

Wonder if anyone at Arlo i working on it, or do we just get auto replys here in the forum?

HotdogBattle
Star
Star
This started after an update that fixed the app constantly crashing on my V30 months ago and as previously stated it's because the app doesn't use notification channels, which just seems lazy to me. I'm not ok with it. Look at my notification drawer. It's packed full of crap as it is with almost no room for ACTUAL NOTIFICATIONS.
synapse88
Tutor
Tutor
"Same problem here, persistent geofencing notification that can't be swiped away'

Yup same here. So I guess they're not gonna fix this? I might have to move to the Blink system
synapse88
Tutor
Tutor
This was a month ago. Where is the fix?
rickms80
Initiate
Initiate

I've seen something about persistant notifications used to keep the apps awake when not in use. It has something to do with new aggressive power managing features introduced in Android 8 and apps not being updated to support the new features. 

In my opinion, I think it's a bandaid until they update the arlo app to support Android 8 and 9's aggressive new power management. So they have this persistant notification to keep the arlo app running so notifications aren't late and geofencing works. I mean, am I right or wrong? Developers?

ChristianDK
Guide
Guide
Latest update did NOT fix the problem. Geofencing enabled can still not be cleared. Seriusly, how hard can it be Arlo??
cyberr8der
Guide
Guide
Just goes to show that the devs don't use Arlo products themselves. Must be nice to have a job where you can screw things up and nobody cares.