Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wish I'd never 'upgraded' to Pro 2 now.

Yet another camera has gone offline after just a few days due to the battery being depleted, despite having 70% charge this morning.

This is the third of four cameras to do so.

I expect the remaining one to die at any time.

The other issue is the battery is either somehow becoming disconnected from the contacts or it is being ignored as sometimes physically removing and reinsering the battery works.

The software/firmware is seriously bugged in these new devices.

184 REPLIES 184
Mssbjh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Doing great on this end too.. well over a week now
cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Firmware 15189
23.10.2017 18:30 (GMT) switched on Arlo 2 ONLINE
27.10.2017 16:20 Arlo 2 OFFLINE at 92% battery

(Survived approx 4.5 days)

27.10.2017 18:30 reset, now at 77% battery ONLINE
02.11.2017 12:30 OFFLINE

(Survived approx 6.5 days)

02.11.2017 19:25 reset, now at 22%
02.11.2017 recharging
02.11.2017 22:00 100% ONLINE

Firmware 15483
04.11.2017 FW update to 15483
05.11.2017 07:50 still ONLINE

07.11.2017 07:53 still ONLINE (current survival period 5 days (ish!))

08.11.2017 09:54 still ONLINE - (current survival period over 6 days) - approaching the previous record of 6.5!

09.11.2017 08:41 still ONLINE! not far off a week now - I have high hopes for this firmware.

Thanks to Netgear if this has solved the problem! 

Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good to hear it's working for you guys.

Mine went down after 2 days on the new firmware, so although the problem may be reduced, it's still there.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

+1   Mines went offline about 3-4 days after the field firmware. So its still present but probably less likely to happen. Also didnt fix the night vision issue or 5 minute long recordings. Those are still present. They happen less frequently but definitely still there, I had to lower my sensitivity down alot in order to limit the chances of it happening. 

mattsrs
Apprentice
Apprentice

The issue is still there. Mine went offline about a day after update to the latest field test firmware.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine is still online. Now almost 8 days. Looking like the production fw upgrade has solved this for me.

Tofu101
Guide
Guide
What’s the verdict ? Is it safe to rebuy the Pro 2 knowing the battery discharge issue is resolved ?
Bill716
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I guess it depends.  I had a camera go offline 2 days after the new firmware was downloaded so I returned mine to Best Buy.  But I also had other issues as well - poor night vision and about 40% of the time I was getting "Waiting for Netgear" when trying to show live views of my cameras using Echo Show.  I reached out to netgearteam@netgear.com after they put a comment on my poor review on the Best Buy site, but so far, no response (which seems to be typical of their support).  I'm also waiting to possibly buy again but my patience is wearing thin.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
I can only speak from my (documented on here) experience.

Seems pretty stable since production 15483 firmware was released.
Tofu101
Guide
Guide
Thanks, I have six Arlo camera mounts installed in stucco and if I can help it, I’d rather not go to the expense of taking them all down, wiring And putting up new mounts.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As an aside, stucco can be a real issue causing signal problems between the cameras and base. As reported by others here, the wire mesh used to hold the stucco acts somewhat as a Faraday cage, blocking the signal. 

Doubleneck
Tutor
Tutor
I've had mine for roughly 10 days and the cameras and base updated when I first activated them. It's been trouble free so far. In fact I really like it.
cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
Here's my routine update

Firmware 15189
23.10.2017 18:30 (GMT) switched on Arlo 2 ONLINE
27.10.2017 16:20 Arlo 2 OFFLINE at 92% battery
(Survived approx 4.5 days)

27.10.2017 18:30 reset, now at 77% battery ONLINE
02.11.2017 12:30 OFFLINE
(Survived approx 6.5 days)

02.11.2017 19:25 reset, now at 22%
02.11.2017 recharging
02.11.2017 22:00 100% ONLINE
Firmware 15483
04.11.2017 FW update to 15483
05.11.2017 07:50 still ONLINE
07.11.2017 07:53 still ONLINE (current survival period 5 days (ish!))
08.11.2017 09:54 still ONLINE - (current survival period over 6 days) - approaching the previous record of 6.5!
09.11.2017 08:41 still ONLINE
12.11.2017 17:11 still ONLINE almost 10 days. It looks like firmware 15483 has solved this issue.
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am on the newest field firmware and my camera has gone "offline" 3 times since being on it..... So it is not fixed, neither are the night vision or 5 minute long videos of no movement. It might have lessened the chances of the offline but it is definitely still a problem.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
Understood. Clearly there is more at play here as the issue I experienced has resolved since the firmware change.
arlopro2user
Star
Star

I'm up to 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras (started with just two, then upgraded my 1st-gen Pros as well). Started on the original firmware, had one camera that went offline twice in the first few days. Since that point I moved my base station so reception was full bars to all cameras. With the original firmware, I didn't have any additional offline cameras. I then got pushed the newest firmware maybe a week or so ago... no dropouts.

Battery life is also very stable. The additional Arlo 2's I deployed that see maybe six 10s videos a day just dropped from 100% to 98% this morning.

From this end things are looking really good.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine seems to be with just 1 camera, I have a 5 camera setup and all the other cameras seem to be stable, 1 has acceptable night vision due to the street lights outside, but my other 2 have horrible night vision as they are in dark open areas. And it only seems that my 1 camera continues to go offline, and I have always had FULL bars reception. I have 3 Netgear Orbis on every floor and gigabit speed internet. This camera was on my driveway and i switched it to the back yard and problem still persists. So it isnt location as my other camera functioned fine in both locations, but this one seems to go offline no matter where it is placed. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent firmware update for Arlo Pro 2 has been released that may help address the issue you are experiencing with the camera dropping offline. Be sure your Arlo Pro 2 is update to date with the latest firmware version and let us know if you are still experiencing an issue.

JamesC

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC Unfortunately I have been on that firmware for over week and have gone offline 3 times in that time period, so it hasnt corrected the issue for me, nor has the horrible night vision been corrected or the 5 minute no movement bug. With the base update it has become less frequent but still daily getting 5 minute videos of 10 seconds of movement. 

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC it fixed my issue. Many thanks
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

nazgul7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Folks! 

How's the new firmware going for all of you? I'm closely following this thread (and similar others) to see if I should buy Arlo Pro 2 or not.  Haven't seen any recent activity here, so wondering how's it going?

Doubleneck
Tutor
Tutor
I've had my 4 Camera system running absolutely trouble free for a few months now. The Camera that gets the most useage is down to 62 percent charged. I am absolutely happy with this system.
cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
All good here too. No problems at all 🙂
Tofu101
Guide
Guide
The battery issue is fixed for me since the last update. My five cameras are happily chugging along after 45 days with no issues.