If you can download them they're not deleted. My suspicion (not proven) is that somehow the videos are corrupted so players of any sort can't play them back. I'm not a video expert so that's as far as I can go.
I spoke to a support specialist who indicated that they were working with apple on a solution but they could not provide an ETA on when a solution to this problem would be available.
Now I was able to configure the app to send the captured video clips to my email address and then I was able to play the recent clips in a Chrome browser on my laptop computer.
However the problem clips did not include the actual video sound, just a weird burst of noise at the very beginning of the clip. This does support what other people posted on this thread indicating that there may be a sound/video synchronization problem that needs to be addressed.
I just got the Arlo Pro 2 a few days ago and have already experienced the problem several times, very disappointed. Luckily, after reading this thread I tried downloading one important video in the PC and then managed to play it with VLC. The file seems to be corrupted, but plays. The error message I get from VLC is:
Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format " " (No description for this codec)
These faulty recordings are incomplete at upload time to the arlo server.
This issue appeared prior to the May firmware debacles back in April.
The faulty recordings are missing the required audio format and codec Atom information that iOS systems demand to be supplied, hence the errors.
You are able to view the video content if you use a chrome browser with the static for audio due to the missing information.
You can use chrome to download the faulty recordings and view the video content using the VLC player with the audio codec missing warning.
You should be able to use VLC to clean up the faulty recordings so they can be played back on iOS devices but this will not restore the audio.
Hope this helps.
And the silence continues. One of the most shocking product and support fails I've ever experienced. A $500 hardware/software product. We have two set ups, and are gathering the cameras from one set up to return to Costco. Does anyone have any suggestions on a competing product that will work on iOS? I can't afford to own and operate a home security product that doesn't provide functionality on iOS and only delivers playable data when I'm in front of a computer. Totally defeats the purpose. I've been tweeting and DMing the CEO on Twitter and he doesn't have any answers either. I honestly think he doesn't understand the issue. Because if he did, he would certainly be demanding more of his team than what they are doing now. Total. Fail. Arlo.
You may want to return the product. Given the extraordinary silence and lack of commitment from the company and support, they appear to have no intention of resolving this issue in the immediate future. They certainly haven't committed to any timeline for a fix. If you are able to continue talking to support, and have any sort of understanding of a when, please share. Otherwise, it seems like the only way to put substantial pressure on Arlo to fix do the right thing is via the retailer. Return the product, and tell them why. Maybe that message will make it clear. Or maybe not. Good luck to all.
Reloading the servers is not a five minute task so it would not be something they would try very often given their track record.
So expect a six month wait for the next server release that contains any implemented fixes.
Now what would you expect arlo to say to their customers given the above limitations.
I will leave it to your imagination.
I may have found a partial solution to the video clips not playing due to the error "Operation cannot be completed at this time"
While monitoring the failed video clips over the last few days I noticed that those that failed were invariably around 11 seconds long, (maybe 12), but longer clips consistently played.
Using that knowledge I went into the app, navigated to the mode option, then clicked on the pencil edit icon for each of my cameras, then the pencil icon for the "Record video" option, selected the Record for a fixed length of time and set a record time of 25 seconds. You can set it to a maximum of 300 seconds.
SInce I made that change all of my captured video clips are playing. I hope that it will work for most of you.
Now obviously this approach is not ideal and I am going to share what I found with the technical folks at Arlo but in the short term perhaps it will save a lot of frustration and possibly much more.
Mine also runs on just battery. It’s not all the videos effected just some and they come in a groups off recordings. I increased my recordings from 15 to 20 sec to see if that makes a difference. Worked fine last night. This morning it affected my first two recordings before I increased the time.
Edit your modes and rules. Read the FAQ here on changing recordin time. Basically, use the Mode tab. click on your base and edit your modes. All settings, including recording lenght, are in there. Be sure to save.