Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is it possible to run without a modem but using a cell phone and wireless router ?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jimhiteshue
Follower
Follower

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the arlo pro 2 without a cable modem and cable connection ?    I have a cellular device and I have a  Linksys wireless router already.     How would I do this if possible ???    

5 REPLIES 5
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

The Arlo hub has to be physically plugged into the LAN port of whatever connects you to the Internet. This does not have to be a router, as many people use wifi extenders and access points as the "host" for their hubs.

I assume that you have already got the router linked up to the cellular device.

I haven't tried it and it isn't something that I can recall seeing here, but if your Linksys wireless router can accommodate LAN connections I can see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I haven't tried it and it isn't something that I can recall seeing here, but if your Linksys wireless router can accommodate LAN connections I can see no reason why it wouldn't work.

You'd have to put the router into WiFi extender mode, and then connect it to the internet using the cellular device wifi.  Then connect the base to a router LAN port.  I have no idea if your linksys supports that mode or not.  If you post the model, we could google the manual I guess.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

You'd have to put the router into WiFi extender mode, and then connect it to the internet using the cellular device wifi. 

Doesn't that depend on the "cellular device"?

We don't know how the cellular device works. Some things with that label are "mobile hotspots" with a LAN port.

I had assumed that @jimhiteshue had already got the router connected to the cellular network. Maybe not.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I had assumed that @jimhiteshue had already got the router connected to the cellular network. Maybe not.

I assumed that if he had a working LAN port with internet connectivity he wouldn't have needed to ask the question.  

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Who knows?

We are both left assuming on the basis of minimal information.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation