Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Base Station keeps resetting itself and going offline intermittently

Sussexdude1
Star
Star

Over the last two days my home station seems to change my time zone at midnight every day, this being a huge pain when scanning back over recordings. I have tried resetting on Arlo web site, iPad and iPhone but midnight strikes time zone changes again. HELP !

1,067 REPLIES 1,067
Roy_Mery
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello,
I bought an arlo pro 2 system with 4 cameras less than a year ago. The base station constantly goes offline. I tried to reset it, removed it and added it again on the app, powered it off an on, unplugged it, made sure it has the latest firmware, etc... the only solution to this problem is to be physically present next to the Arlo base station and set it up all again from scratch (add new base station, then add new cameras each one at a time) but this solution is not permanent as the base station will go offline again in a couple of days or so.
Is there anything that can be done? Is this a known problem? I need to permanently fix this! I had to travel and couldn’t make use of the arlo system since the base station went offline again.
Please i need help!
Thank you very much
Dannybear
Master
Master
There are a lot of customers here that talk of having the same experience.
I myself have had this occurring twice daily since May.
Some things to try to lessen the offline lockup issues are to remove any USB backup devices on the base station and / or power cycle the base regularly.

The problem is in the base station firmware and there is no fix in sight from arlo.

I power cycle my base twice daily as well as before I go out and when I go to bed.

Some have suggested a smart switch on the base and automate a remote power cycle.

dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
What is NBN? Also, #metoo on the random hanging issue. Looks like I didn't get any video at all from 6pm to about 6am last night (so impossible here that I pulled up the app to see). It spun awhile, and then all cameras showed offline. After looking at base stat6, all was free except internet. Then it finally decided to reboot itself and start working again (power light turned amber and it finally came back about 5 minutes later). It's done this plenty of times, annoying. I too have had a ticket open with them for a couple months on an unrelated issue, but they keep asking me to schedule time to talk to them and then miss the times I tell them I'm available. I too regret the investment and no longer have any praise for this system.
jiress
Guide
Guide
I have the USB Drive unconnected over the week and no reset issues occurred.
wellfleetion
Apprentice
Apprentice
You probably just didn’t notice it. It doesn’t matter if there is a USB attached or not. And if it was this simple of an issue, why after 2 months Arlo/Netgear has not fixed it?
Chaskamn
Guide
Guide

I still have had no answers to this question!!!

Update.

My Arlo Pro2 quit working with the basestation and I got it replaced under an RMA.  During the weeks it took to get replaces I just ran 4 Arlo cameras and things seemed to go better.

I go my replacement Pro2 camera last week.  I am back to 5 cameras (4 arlo, 1 Pro2) with the regular basestation.

I have had nothing but issues again.  I get everything up and running and 3 will drop, or I will bet the Pro2 saying it has lost power (plugged in) and won't respond.  I have had the basestation loose all communication.  

Each time (2x a day this weekend) I have to repower the basestation, then go arround pulling batteries untill every camera is recognized......  I also got a wifi signal checker and all locations have a good to strong signal and lots of bandwidth.

Is this a old basestation thoughput issue?

Is the basestation just bad?

Anyone help?????

Chaskamn
Guide
Guide

Update after yesterday.

Reset the three offline cameras.

Everything seemed to work over night.  Checking just now.... and now all 5 are off and I get the dreaded basestation is off-line message.

I am really fed up-  anyone else with issues?

Chaskamn
Guide
Guide

I reset everything last night and seemed to get all 5 working.

Now I am getting the message that the basestation is off-line... again.

OGP
Guide
Guide

YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT, THE ARLO SOFTWARE GOT WORSE, ALL THE CAMERAS DISAPPEARED AND I HAVE ZERO VIEW AND COMPLETELY NO ACCESS TO THE HUB WHICH IS CONNECTED AND KEEP SHOWING THAT EVERYTHING IS OFF. I AM LOOKING AROUND FOR ANOTHER SECURITY SURVEILLANCE THAT IS RELIABLE AND NOT DECEPTIVE.

Dannybear
Master
Master

The base station firmware offline issue has been about since last May’s update and has persisted through a further two updates.

The symptoms of the fault are recurring lockups of the base that prevents communication to the arlo server.

Subsequent symptoms are missing recordings, loss of base hardware functionality such as the siren, USB backup and it’s own local wifi channel hence camera dropping off.

The offline condition can occur up to twice a day when the arlo server performs a heartbeat check of the base station.

The severity of the issue depends on having a USB backup device installed and how active your cameras have been prior to the heartbeat check.

There is no fix in sight as arlo is ignoring the issue.

Work around for me is to power cycle the base twice daily prior to the arlo server heartbeat checking times.

There is nothing wrong with the base station hardware, loading the latest firmware onto a fresh base station results in exactly the same problems within 48hrs, only difference being the heartbeat timing changes because different serial number.

If the base station has no cameras then it doesn’t go offline with or without USB backup devices installed.

Arlo should be recalling all of their wire free systems from sale until the fix has been finalised.

Cappe73
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased a base arlo pro 2 and two cameras 3 weeks ago.

Since I installed it, it has always gone offline within 12 hours of the last reset with and without USB memory installed.

I am very angry.

Arlo support for my report answers me to open ports 80 and 443 and to set Google's DNS ... mah !!!

ssnostromo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do exactly the same. TP-Link plug, reboot remotely. Great work around but totally unsatisfactory. 😠
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Me to
Toni1946
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't had any problems with my home base for a few months. It must have just been a glitch.

wellfleetion
Apprentice
Apprentice
I bet a $100 your cam is in a low traffic area and so you just don’t notice it going offline. These cams are defective pos.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Dannybear is right on.

Arlo is having firmware and backend cloud issues too. Here are all the issues I'm currently having. Had the system with 5 cameras for 2 years. Some of these issues I'm listing have happened before, been fixed, and then happened again. Arlo devs, engineers have no idea what they are doing.

1) Everytime I open the arlo app it say checking status, takes about 3-4 minutes, then says all my cameras are offline. I close the app and open it right back up and all cameras show immediately. (new issue)

2) Motion detection is hit and miss, it might pick you up, might not. Misses my pets and even my car which is only 12 feet away with sensitivity at 90-100%. (repeat issue)

3) Missing recordings from the library. I get a notification, but no recording in the library. (repeat issue)

4) Big chunks of time where the cameras which are armed and turned on do nothing at all. Won't pick up motion or record video. Live view still works. For example, today from 8:57am est to 1pm, and then 1pm to 3:51pm, no recordings at all where there should have been dozens. I live view and see my pets in the bedroom but no recordings from that camera at all. (repeat issue)

5) Pixelated video from all Pro and Pro2 cameras, indoor and outdoor. (repeat issue)

6) Discovered a well placed high power fan blowing on a pet or small person makes them invisible to the arlo cameras. I point a fan at the doorway into my living room. With the fan on, my pets or children are not detected by the living room camera. Turn the fan off and they are detected. This "security" system can be beaten by a fan. (new issue)

Sigh.........

Anim
Star
Star

I am having same issues. Wife wants me to buy different system but the 4 camera Arlo Pro system was a nice chunk of money to throw away.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

You spot on arlo has turned into a piece of c***

AlaskaFairie
Aspirant
Aspirant
Fixed! After three weeks of fighting this problem, #8 tech figured it out. The the others kept draggibg my down their same, scripted, troubleshooting flow chart. So annoying!
The fix... have my service provider put the router port for Arlo on channel 1, 6 & 11. All cameras and base station have stayed online for three days now!
AlaskaFairie
Aspirant
Aspirant
Try having your internet service provider put your router port for Arlo on channel 1,6 & 11😎 It fixed mine. Interference from other wireless devices in house were causing the problem.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Why would your service provider have to change your router channel? You just log into the router and change it yourself. Unless you have some modem router combo from your ISP, that they don't let you administer, which in itself probably causes more issues than a separate modem router setup that you control.

Also note, most all modern routers by default use channel 6 or 11 when channel selection is set to auto. Usually people have to switch to something other than 6 or 11 to help with interference.

So while that may have helped for you, I don't think it's the fix. The issue is with the firmware.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
You are very correct
Anim
Star
Star

Thank you but at this point Ill try anything. Logging into modem.

PrincipalCJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried that and it did not fix my issue. I continued having the same issue. Since I have removed my USB backup harddrive, everything seems to be working normally. Unfortunately, I really need my backup becasue I only have the 7 free days of cloud storage before it's deleted.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Me to take out usb works better