Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

My wife and I both have iPhones with the Arlo app. Both if these are listed as devices which are geofenced.

We regularly find that one of our devices has been logged out of Arlo, and therefore won't trigger the geofencing (either Home or Away), leaving our system exposed.

We will both leave home, only to find that Arlo thinks one of us is still there, and won't arm the system. Similarly, we'll arrive home, and the system won't disarm, until we both log in, change mode to arm or disarm, and then back to geofencing.

The trouble is, neither of us know when this happens. The Arlo app doesn't tell us that we've been logged out until we go into it, which defeats the purpose of geofencing. We also don't understand why either of us would be logged out when we haven't touched the app.

This is very confusing and frustrating, any tips would be gratefully received.

Jamie

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hello,

This issue has been identified and a fix to resolve this issue will be coming soon. I will provide another update as soon as possible.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

183 REPLIES 183
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ngl1604 wrote:

I wasn't told to do that.  Perhaps different hardware?

Not really.  This is more about getting Friend access to work.  Which of course is often required for geofencing, since you usually have multiple family members, and only want the "away" mode when everyone is away.

Arlo is transitioning to a new user interface - which shows "Feed" as a main menu item instead of "Library".  There are a lot more differences, but that's the easiest way to tell which interface you are using.  The current app supports both interfaces, so looking at the app version isn't enough.  

There was a bug with "friend" access - new friend accounts (with no devices) often have "Feed", when the original account has "Library".  Friend access only works when all accounts are "Feed" or when all are "Library".

Those instructions are a workaround that force your app interface to migrate to "Feed".  Again, this should only be  needed if friend access isn't working, and the friend account is already on "Feed".  Once you are on "Feed" you can't switch back (and there are bugs and restrictions).

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

For those that come after, the arlo app has a 14day timeout limit that logs out the arlo background session on your mobile device.

When this session gets logged out, geofencing location updates and push notifications are no longer available.

There is no indication to the user when this happens except for a lack of arlo notifications and no geofencing changes.

The app session timeout can only be extended by forcing the App to logout via the profile menu in the app settings page and then logging back in. Simply opening the app on the mobile device will not extend the timeout.

This also extends to the granted users devices.

If you do suffer a logout event you will need to reset the geofencing syncing by selecting disabled mode then re-engaging geofencing mode to get it working again.

Simmm
Star
Star

@ShayneS  Why do you never get this fixed?? It’s totally insane. 

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's the whole issue though. Arlo themselves said earlier in this thread that the authentication token should be good for 6 months not two weeks.  In reality, event making it to two weeks is hit and miss.

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK. That's a different issue than the one I and many of the other posters have experienced. We've been able to add 'friends' but they are logged out without warning - often in less than two weeks.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@ngl1604 ,

Have you made any attempts to make a log the occurrences yourself? This may give you and arlo a clearer picture of the extent of the issue.

Having the app automatically shut down every two weeks by design can only add to users confusion as to why it’s occurring.

The behaviour of the logging out occurrences would appear to me to be initiated server side and not within the app.

While @ShayneS has been helpful in identifying the arlo mechanisms for the automated logout, the requests to the development team to have it extended to 6 months have obviously stalled.

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've logged a ticket for this.  If Arlo are going to increase the price of their monthly subscription, they could at least do warrant an increase by doing something to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately I seem to be in a never-ending loop with Support.  I've quoted the thread here indicating the problems we're having and the 'promises' that have been made.  I was asked to uninstall/reinstall the app and then I went into testing mode with one of my devices to see when it would be logged out through inactivity.  It was 6 days.  Not 2 weeks.  I updated the ticket to see if there were any logs or other detail they would like to harvest but I go the following reply:

For Arlo Geofencing to work on your device, you must adjust your settings as follows:

• Android devices
    • Location permission = ON
      • Push notifications = Enabled
    • Location services = ON
    • Battery saver = OFF
    • Data limit = OFF
    • Airplane mode = OFF
  • iOS (Apple) devices
    • Share my location = ON
    • Location services = Always
    • Airplane mode = OFF
    • Background App Refresh = Enabled
    • Cellular Data = Enabled

We strongly recommend that you enable only one iOS or Android device per physical user on an Arlo account. This should be the device that you carry every day. For example, if you routinely use an Android phone and an iPad, we recommend that you only set your Android phone as an Enabled Device in your Geofencing settings.

The Arlo system only changes the active mode from Home to Away when all enabled iOS and Android devices have left the designated Device Location in Geofencing settings.

To review which mobile devices participate in Geofencing, open the Arlo Secure App and check the Enabled Devices page in Geofencing settings. Remove any devices that you do not want to trigger Home/Away mode changes.

🙄

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@ngl1604 ,

Not sure if I want to laugh or cry after reading.

swordfishBob
Guide
Guide

It seems there's no easy path from support to engineering, so they just keep trying to answer as if users are doing something wrong.

I gave up on geofencing, partly from unreliability, but also because crime in this city has changed - there's a lot of incidents of intruders getting into peoples homes while they are at home, grabbing keys, and coming back later to take the car. So I just leave it armed, and mute notifications when mowing the lawn.

I gave up on the v1 doorbell as it took way too long to connect the "call", especially if the app has logged out, and I have a camera at the front door anyway. Thinking I might use the doorbell button just as a motion sensor in the shed.

jannera
Tutor
Tutor

Is anything being done about this? Arlo almost doubled their monthly fee but we're still not getting fixes for these basic functionalities. I was contacted by an Arlo engineer last autumn, but haven't heard anything from him after providing all the information he requested. I've seen hints about completely new app as well, does anyone know anything about that?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @jannera 

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing with Geofencing.

Simmm
Star
Star

For real @ShayneS 

Geofencing hasn't worked for at least 2 years and most people here I suspect have given up on Arlo for other providers after your promises to fix it. I got rid of my cameras six months ago and my dad has also replaced his with others.

Arques
Star
Star

This is a big joke. I am completely apathetic to this issue by now and have absolutely zero trust that Arlo will ever fix this. I do think you have some nice looking products but thankfully only ever bought one to try this brand. Judging by how this issue has (not) been handled I will never buy another one. The issue is still the same as what the orignal poster posted back in ‎2021-06-03. Since then there has been more than 160 replies, many describing the issue in extreme detail.

Several times, you ShayneS has said Arlo has identified the issue and will deploy a fix but nothing has improved. It's like we are talking to dumb bots who keep repeating the same copy-paste response over and over and over.

You have really dropped the ball here. QA department doesn't exist and support is responding like bots. There are no actual engineers looking at the issue and nobody at Arlo is even using their own geofencing solution because if they were this issue would be extremely obvious.

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

Hey @ShayneS , 

I believe the issue is the same as it's been since 2021 - Geofencing "times out" periodically, and you don't know when it will happen - seems to be about every 2 weeks or so. 

The new "experience" feels buggier, and things are less intuitive than on the old experience. 

I think Arlo would learn a lot if support/engineers would use the product themselves. Get one camera, set it up, enable geofencing in the app. Preferably utilize a second person/device, as that seems to be a common issue on this thread. Give it a month or so and you will probably experience these same issues yourself.

ParlorHouse
Tutor
Tutor

Due to the lack of a solution from Arlo over the course of several years to an issue that is critical to the use of their products, I am selling my entire Arlo system and canceling my Arlo secure subscription. I just purchased the Logitech Circle View doorbell and love it! It was very easy to install and the notifications actually work like they should, all using Apple HomeKit.

jonesie
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is just plain wrong. When you are logged out then geofencing is not working and so your devices will not record. This is a really problem that needs to be fixed. The user needs to be notified when they are logged out and geofencing is not activated.

jonesie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using 4.7.1 (6592) on an up to date iPhone 14 and this is still an issue. I've just returned home after a two day absence only to discover that geofencing  was not on. This is useless. About time that a solution was developed.

jonesie
Aspirant
Aspirant

exactly. Fix this prob elm.

Oct2020Look
Guide
Guide

What you say is true, but we should be DUMPED out in the first place.  Horrible Arlo!!!

daniel-au
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll just add my voice to this. Everything works fine except that I'm logged out every 2 weeks, so the geofence stops working. No indication this has happened unless you decide to open the app.

I really like the Arlo camera I have, and would probably buy more if this one issue is fixed. Just give us an option to turn off the session timeout.

iOS 16 on iPhone 13, Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera 

Oct2020Look
Guide
Guide

Getting kicked out every 2 wks is disgusting.  Arlo seems to care more about selling new equipment than fixing a multi-year problem.  On top of not knowing my system is not working - GRRRRRRRRR I get charged monthly for their back-up which has nothing to back up.  A big GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Oct2020Look wrote:

I get charged monthly for their back-up which has nothing to back up.  

Are you talking about cloud storage?  (e.g. an Arlo secure subscription).  Legacy cameras like the Pro 2 have 7 days of free cloud storage (current camera models do not, and do require a subscription to get cloud storage).  There is one caveat - if you have more than 5 unsubscribed cameras in the account, you will need a subscription to get cloud storage for all cameras (including legacy ones).

With a Pro 2, the subscription gives you 30 days of retention instead of the free 7 days.  It also gives you smart notifications and activity zones when on battery power.

So nothing at all to do with "backup".  If you don't need the subscription features, you can just cancel.  

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What use is a subscription when you loose push notification alerts?

What use is a subscription when your arlo system remains disabled after you exit your home zone?

What use is a subscription when arlo won’t fix a simple bug they have known about for years.

What use is an arlo security system that doesn’t work as advertised? 

Lexi612
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was this issue ever resolved for you? I have had exactly the same issue for years and really want to figure out how to fix it. Otherwise, I cannot buy anymore Arlo products. 

swordfishBob
Guide
Guide

Was this issue ever resolved for you?

Not for me. The app still signs out without notice, though can still receive alerts.

I gave up on geofencing, and decided:

- leave the cameras armed at all times

- mute the notifications for an hour (or however long) while I'm doing things in the front yard, like washing the car or mowing lawn

That works ok for me given my cameras are at the front, and it's only occasionally I'm setting them off. It also means if something happens while I am home, it still gets recorded. Intruders in this city don't wait for a house to be empty.

It would be less helpful if you have kids playing outside regularly.

I gave up on the doorbell - too much lag getting the app to answer it. I gave up on geofencing. I still use the cameras I have, but when I move house am thinking I'll switch to Ubiquiti.