Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

App keeps logging one of us out, geofencing not working

Discussion stats
jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

My wife and I both have iPhones with the Arlo app. Both if these are listed as devices which are geofenced.

We regularly find that one of our devices has been logged out of Arlo, and therefore won't trigger the geofencing (either Home or Away), leaving our system exposed.

We will both leave home, only to find that Arlo thinks one of us is still there, and won't arm the system. Similarly, we'll arrive home, and the system won't disarm, until we both log in, change mode to arm or disarm, and then back to geofencing.

The trouble is, neither of us know when this happens. The Arlo app doesn't tell us that we've been logged out until we go into it, which defeats the purpose of geofencing. We also don't understand why either of us would be logged out when we haven't touched the app.

This is very confusing and frustrating, any tips would be gratefully received.

Jamie

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hello,

This issue has been identified and a fix to resolve this issue will be coming soon. I will provide another update as soon as possible.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

183 REPLIES 183
Berlinmd
Aspirant
Aspirant

It doesn’t work! Since 4 year I’m waiting that a new release solves the problem of both geofreq and session expiration and nothing happens. Every baby phone is more reliable than Arlo!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@ShayneS,

You mentioned that you wanted to know if we were still getting our apps login sessions expiring. 

Yes since the request I have now experienced three expired sessions on my owners account and granted access accounts at 14day intervals.

Babewk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing has stopped working. It does not recognize when I am “home “

I am sharing location always.

Oct2020Look
Guide
Guide

I have Pro 3 - been logged out twice since supposed ---  won't log us out for 6-months upgrade dated 12/1/22.  Dec 17 received:  You do not have permission to access the requested source.  I had pressed Arlo icon because it said I had outside alerts this a.m.  Got it working.  Then 12/26/22 received "Error"  Your session expired.  Sign In to continue.  Also picks up animals tho set to not pick up animals.  Pro 3 should only be sold to computer professionals.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

Are we still experiencing this issue?

Thanks

sh10056
Tutor
Tutor

Yes

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

Yes - my wife recently had to re-login to Arlo for geofencing to work properly. Thanks for asking!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can we verify if all Admin and granted access users can see the "Feed" icon at the bottom of the Arlo app?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@ShayneS 

I logout the background app on both my and granted users iPhone every two weeks and the sessions no longer expire.

Both iPhones are using the library experience.

jannera
Tutor
Tutor

This thread is pretty depressing to read. We have exactly the same issue with four devices and geofence. I usually keep on checking Arlo app but rest of the family does not. And they get logged out which breaks geofence. I don't know any other app, security related or not which automatically logs out users. Probably useless to even ask, but is Arlo going to do something about this?

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

Logging out of the app is one thing, but kicking the session out so it breaks geofencing is annoying. I also check my Arlo a few times a week so I'm always in, but my wife doesn't, so hers breaks the geofencing for us about every 2-3 weeks.

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

Hey @ShayneS, what icon are you referring to? I'm not sure I see it.

Simmm
Star
Star

yes, the issue is still ongoing. I got logged out today. My dads account got logged out yesterday.

Both with latest available Arlo app

ParlorHouse
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo, any updates on this? My family and I constantly get logged out of the app, which like other users is extremely frustrating and makes the entire system useless if the system doesn't arm via geofencing. I just updated my Arlo Secure subscription, but am going to return everything if this can't be resolved soon. 

I have read through the entire thread and none of the suggestions have worked for us. I am also on the latest version of the app currently available to me.

jannera
Tutor
Tutor

No updates, Arlo doesn't seem to care whether their products work or not. 

ZacEv
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still logging us out as well. The update clearly hasn’t worked.

Simmm
Star
Star

I got logged out tonight and during that period the cameras has been capturing humans in my garden - but since app are logged out, no notifications has been sent.

Arlo is a completely joke 

Simmm
Star
Star

2022-01-04 @ShayneS replied to this thread they was investigating this issue. 1 year and 2 months later they haven’t solved it.

This is absolutely not a serious company.

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice

New app? New features? Increased subscription?  This issue needs to be resolved. 

https://twitter.com/nleaney/status/1634121960958435332?s=46&t=hXWuVufLtkOGtKRa3PFFtA

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Europe have engaged via DM on Twitter. I’ll let you know the outcome. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

At some stage you will need to be told that geofencing does not work. It works fine when you set it up but it will log either one of you out at random and you will not be notified. So if yo both leave the house expecting the system to arm itself, it may not. The only way to check is go to the app and see if you have been logged out. Without the certain knowledge that tis feature is working makes the system useless as a reliable security camera. You will note that Arlo have been receiving complaints about this for some years. The geofencing option is the only thing that sets Arlo apart from its competitors and is a big selling point and justification for the premium price. However it is simply not reliable. If anyone can prove me wrong I will be pleased. I stopped paying the subscription for this precise reason and went to local recording and storage. If you are being robbed when you are away, you cannot rely on Arlo to warn you if using the geofencing option. However local storage will also not work as well. Best to just arm and disarm manually, if you want peace of mind. 

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

Pretty much. I check the Arlo app several times a week, so it's not usually me that gets logged off, but my wife does not. The way I figure out that it's not working is either:

1) I leave the house (wife still at home), and the system arms once I am gone, but of course it should not arm when she and her phone are still at the house

2) We both leave the house and the system doesn't arm, but it should because our phones are both gone.

Arlo, how about a notification when the app gets logged out? Something like "Arlo has been logged out - to keep geofencing active, please log back into the app".

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm in exactly the same position as the poster above (except I have a wife AND daughter that only occasionally look at the app but experience frequent logouts).

Given the impending price rise for Arlo Secure Subscription, I thought it time to raise the profile of the issue a bit and posted on twitter on 10th March.

Customer services replied quite quickly and opened Support case 00519394. Unfortunately the Arlo ticketing system doesn't allow +1's.  In the interest of formalising the issue (I hardly ever see Arlo formal support in these forums. They view them as user self-help I think) I suggest that everyone raises a formal support ticket from within your Arlo account.  If enough people raise it formally it could increase the profile of the issue beyond a bunch of people moaning in a forum.

So far I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app on all three devices and I'm monitoring progress. Arlo support want a quick answer but I've told them that unless I see positive results (i.e. no one gets logged out during the next 2 weeks - at least), I'm not going to accept that the ticket can be resolved.

I'll keep you posted with my progress.  

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

I have opened a ticket as well, and the recommended solution is to update the app to the "new experience". However, this step cannot be reverted, and one thing that I noticed in the new experience is that they are now enforcing charging for subscriptions per location. Previously I was able to pay for one plan to cover all of my cameras, but now it appears I will have to pay for a second plan for my vacation home. Anyway, here are the steps in case anyone wants to try it:

1. Make sure you have the updated version of the App.

2. Tap on Add New Device.

3. Select Security System.

4. Go through the carousel.

5. Tap on Start Upgrade.

6. Tap on Upgrade Anyways.

7. After upgrading, press back to cancel the Security System Onboarding.

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wasn't told to do that.  Perhaps different hardware?