Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

App keeps logging one of us out, geofencing not working

Discussion stats
jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

My wife and I both have iPhones with the Arlo app. Both if these are listed as devices which are geofenced.

We regularly find that one of our devices has been logged out of Arlo, and therefore won't trigger the geofencing (either Home or Away), leaving our system exposed.

We will both leave home, only to find that Arlo thinks one of us is still there, and won't arm the system. Similarly, we'll arrive home, and the system won't disarm, until we both log in, change mode to arm or disarm, and then back to geofencing.

The trouble is, neither of us know when this happens. The Arlo app doesn't tell us that we've been logged out until we go into it, which defeats the purpose of geofencing. We also don't understand why either of us would be logged out when we haven't touched the app.

This is very confusing and frustrating, any tips would be gratefully received.

Jamie

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hello,

This issue has been identified and a fix to resolve this issue will be coming soon. I will provide another update as soon as possible.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

183 REPLIES 183
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

A workaround is to regularly logout the arlo background app to refresh the mobile OS timeout set by arlo.

In the arlo app go to settings/profile/logout

then log back in again.

Do this every 13 days to refresh the background app run timeout.

Set a recurring reminder on your mobile device to remind you to take this action on Arlo’s behalf every 13 days.

daniel-au
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anybody noticed any recent changes on this issue?

I don't seem to have been logged out of the app for a few weeks now.

Hoping it's been quietly fixed. Perhaps something in iOS 17?

- Daniel

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I noticed a change of logout behaviour a few weeks ago, instead of logout requiring manual re-entry of credentials every two weeks it changed to immediately  logging back into the app when the app was reopened. This happened weekly for a few weeks then stopped.

Geofencing still not working unfortunately.

xmyass
Tutor
Tutor

So, many years later, this issue still exists. I like many others have same structural problem.  Arlo needs to pull their fingers out and get on with either a) fixing it properly or b) stop advertising this as a feature, as in its present state it is mis-selling.   Is there a positive update or is it "Arlo are still working on it" ?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@xmyass 

How many time have you been logged out and what timeframe?

swordfishBob
Guide
Guide

ShaneS please read through the thread.

It's random. It's unpredictable except that it will happen.

The biggest problem is you don't know if it's happened until you deliberately open the app. If we have to keep deliberately opening the app, we may as well arm it manually; the geofencing is unreliable and therefore useless.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@swordfishBob Are you using an iOS or Android device?

xmyass
Tutor
Tutor

I am using an iOS device (and yes latest version, and it has happened with many other iOS versions over the years prior).  I also have had this issue carrying over from different generation/model Arlo cameras.   No idea why I bothered to buy more of them, but hey ho, here I am.   As a multitude of other people have said, this issue is totally random, and unless you walked around with your eyes watching the Arlo app instead of watching where you were going, you do not know when it logs you out.. but it does.       

Simmm
Star
Star

Well spoken. 

It seems their strategy is to have this "Shayne" respond in order to appear as though they are actually working on a solution.

I consider Arlo to be a completely unscrupulous company.